Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Local source for brake fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 04:36 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Local source for brake fluid?

With Speedware gone, does anyone local carry SRF, etc?

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2015, 11:40 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Amazon has a good selection of brake fluids including Motul fluids, the Castrol SRF, and ATE fluids. The Amazon price for the SRF is $63.50 for a 1 liter bottle. Figure on 5 days shipping.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:45 PM
RadnessWarrior
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Local source for brake fluid?

Try 425 Motorsports in Bellevue!
Old 08-04-2015, 11:45 AM
rock_man
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What's wrong with Prestone?
Old 08-04-2015, 03:38 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by rock_man
What's wrong with Prestone?
Prestone doesn't make a DOT4 or 5 fluid with the high boiling points that would be required for high-speed events like HPDE or track days. Even their DOT4 fluid only has a wet boiling point of 311 degrees. That's the same as Castrol LMA or the Ford HD Motorsports fluid. Castrol SRF has a wet boiling point of 518 degrees. Motul 600 is another good fluid that will beat Prestone.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:15 PM
rock_man
Instructor

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Prestone doesn't make a DOT4 or 5 fluid with the high boiling points that would be required for high-speed events like HPDE or track days. Even their DOT4 fluid only has a wet boiling point of 311 degrees. That's the same as Castrol LMA or the Ford HD Motorsports fluid. Castrol SRF has a wet boiling point of 518 degrees. Motul 600 is another good fluid that will beat Prestone.
Ah, you guys are taking about brake fluid for high-speed events. Thx
Old 08-04-2015, 05:56 PM
Kevin_k
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default DOT4 Break fluid

I have been using the off the shelf DOT4 Break fluid from O'Reilly for HPDE days and thought I was covered. Are you saying that I am not using what I should be? I thought simple by the fact it was DOT4 Break fluid was good for high temp and I was covered.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:37 PM
rock_man
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kevin_k
I have been using the off the shelf DOT4 Break fluid from O'Reilly for HPDE days and thought I was covered. Are you saying that I am not using what I should be? I thought simple by the fact it was DOT4 Break fluid was good for high temp and I was covered.
My sentiment as well. Chevy engineered and spec'ed the car with the fluids in the owners manual. Did they not expect owners to drive their Z06s on the track?
Old 08-04-2015, 07:25 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Kevin_k
If you experience boiling of the brake fluid under hard braking on a track, then going to a fluid with a higher boiling temp will help. Getting cooling air to the brakes will also help.

Not all DOT4 fluids will have the same boiling temps. Most off the shelf parts store fluids that are labeled as DOT4 will be on the low end of the temperature range.

Sure, the Corvette engineers spec'd a good fluid, but you have to figure that the great majority of Corvettes don't see track use and constant hard braking. Most people that do HPDE's/track days will not only upgrade to fluid with higher boiling points, but they will do a complete flush at least once per year. Those people will also bleed the calipers before each track day.

It's the same with pad selection; the Z06 pads are good, but there are a number of high performance pads that work better. These pads will generate more heat and do it quicker so a high temp fluid is a requirement.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:17 PM
deepcj7
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default fluid

Cycle Gear carries the fluid....not the best price but it is on the shelf.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:36 AM
Kevin_k
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Thanks

I did check the off the shelf DOT4 fluid I have been using after reading this yesterday and sure enough its only good to 320. I do bleed the calipers before each track day and flush at least once per year or so.

Up to now I have not had an issue however I guess I will be now be looking for different fluid with a higher boil over rating. Thanks for pointing this out to me.

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
If you experience boiling of the brake fluid under hard braking on a track, then going to a fluid with a higher boiling temp will help. Getting cooling air to the brakes will also help.

Not all DOT4 fluids will have the same boiling temps. Most off the shelf parts store fluids that are labeled as DOT4 will be on the low end of the temperature range.

Sure, the Corvette engineers spec'd a good fluid, but you have to figure that the great majority of Corvettes don't see track use and constant hard braking. Most people that do HPDE's/track days will not only upgrade to fluid with higher boiling points, but they will do a complete flush at least once per year. Those people will also bleed the calipers before each track day.

It's the same with pad selection; the Z06 pads are good, but there are a number of high performance pads that work better. These pads will generate more heat and do it quicker so a high temp fluid is a requirement.

Get notified of new replies

To Local source for brake fluid?

Quick Reply: Local source for brake fluid?