Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Tips for noobie headed to Bremerton auto-cross

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 02:57 PM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Tips for noobie headed to Bremerton auto-cross

Auto-crossing is something I've wanted to try for a while. I've registered for the solo event at the Bremerton track--as a novice; it is a first time visit. Any suggestions about what to expect are welcomed.
Also, is there a recommendation on where to buy a helmet locally?

Last edited by bhk2; 09-27-2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:49 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Go to the BSCC websitehttp://www.bscc.net/ and look at the various links under the "Info" tab. You will find some good information for first-timers.

BSCC typically has loaner helmets available and I think all you have to do is to hand over your driver's license and they give you a helmet to use. I think this is their last event of the season so you may be able to wait until next year to buy a helmet.

One thing you should do is to make sure your car is empty of anything that is loose. No cell phone, no floor mats, no coffee cups, etc. For just starting out, check your tire pressures and start with the factory recommendation. Check oil level, coolant level, make sure the exhaust is not hanging down, suspension is in good shape and maybe even check to see if the windshield wipers are working. You will have to remove wheel center caps, trim rings. Check the lugnuts for the proper torque. Autocross is a rain or shine sport; while it's lots of fun in the dry, we do live in Washington Dress for the day!!

Try to be there well before your session starts. Did you register for AM or PM Novice? It may take some time to go thru the registration line, get your car thru the tech inspection, and finally take time to walk the course. Tell people this is you first ever event! You will find that lots of people will be glad to help you out. You will be expected to work during the event. After going thru registration, you will go to the work assignment table where you can select a task to perform. Everyone does this whether or not it's their first time or they have been autocrossing for years.

Start your first couple of runs by going slowly. That helps you to understand the course so you won't get lost. There should be course maps available so get one and study it as you walk the course.

BSCC usually has a food vendor there and there should be coffee and donuts in the morning.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:46 PM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Go to the BSCC websitehttp://www.bscc.net/ and look at the various links under the "Info" tab. You will find some good information for first-timers.

BSCC typically has loaner helmets available and I think all you have to do is to hand over your driver's license and they give you a helmet to use. I think this is their last event of the season so you may be able to wait until next year to buy a helmet.

One thing you should do is to make sure your car is empty of anything that is loose. No cell phone, no floor mats, no coffee cups, etc. For just starting out, check your tire pressures and start with the factory recommendation. Check oil level, coolant level, make sure the exhaust is not hanging down, suspension is in good shape and maybe even check to see if the windshield wipers are working. You will have to remove wheel center caps, trim rings. Check the lugnuts for the proper torque. Autocross is a rain or shine sport; while it's lots of fun in the dry, we do live in Washington Dress for the day!!

Try to be there well before your session starts. Did you register for AM or PM Novice? It may take some time to go thru the registration line, get your car thru the tech inspection, and finally take time to walk the course. Tell people this is you first ever event! You will find that lots of people will be glad to help you out. You will be expected to work during the event. After going thru registration, you will go to the work assignment table where you can select a task to perform. Everyone does this whether or not it's their first time or they have been autocrossing for years.

Start your first couple of runs by going slowly. That helps you to understand the course so you won't get lost. There should be course maps available so get one and study it as you walk the course.

BSCC usually has a food vendor there and there should be coffee and donuts in the morning.
c4 cruiser--your detailed reply is very helpful! Thank you for the concrete suggestions about making my first outing more enjoyable. Over the last few days, I poked around and learned about taking care of all the unsecured items in the vehicle.

Today, I joined SCCA, and, as you pointed out, since it is the last event of the season, I'll go with a loaner helmet. The SA2015 models are available for purchase at 12:01AM this Thursday.

The BBCC link is excellent-- very helpful, and I've registered through this portal.

Last edited by bhk2; 09-27-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:44 PM
350Zimo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plenty of people on events like that will help you. Use your resources, listen and learn. I used to track my 350z with the Alfa club guys. Great people, learned soooooo much from them
Old 09-28-2015, 10:38 PM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 350Zimo
Plenty of people on events like that will help you. Use your resources, listen and learn. I used to track my 350z with the Alfa club guys. Great people, learned soooooo much from them
350, thanks---the camaraderie will support my expected rookie mistakes and naiveté about all things autocross. I am looking forward to giving it a try, and learning as I go.

Last edited by bhk2; 09-29-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:22 PM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default How NOT to Solo at Bremerton

My first attempt at autocross, a.k.a. Solo offers a tutorial of how NOT to go about it. I was able to capture last place for the Novice division--yep, that is #14 out of 14. After today's poor showing that dishonored the Corvette nation, I can only move up from here.

This event was the most fun I have ever had coming in last place.

The link for my PDR on the 10.04.15 at BMS course is on youtube. Fast forward past the first 20 seconds; I was waiting to be cleared for take off.

Last edited by bhk2; 10-04-2015 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:08 PM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Initial results premature--the final result is better!

After feeling like a complete disaster with my first autocross event, I have better news!
My 14th place finish was only for the first run. My final run of the day was my best, and I ended up in the middle of the pack: #7 out of 14!

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2015-10-05_18-55-53.pdf (42.9 KB, 27 views)
Old 10-09-2015, 02:12 AM
MeHurricane
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I haven't been on this forum in a while. Life getting in the way I guess. I was there in the afternoon. Here is a video of my fastest run, 55.904. (fastest Corvette at the event!)

There is lots to learn, I have been at this for 23 years and still learning. I have a Black C5Z with a silver stripe. If you see me out at events I am always willing to help you get faster.

I tend to put out a thread with upcoming events. (I got too busy half way through the season to keep up this year though...)

Hopefully you had fun and come out again!

Hurricane
Old 10-10-2015, 12:58 AM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MeHurricane
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I haven't been on this forum in a while. Life getting in the way I guess. I was there in the afternoon. Here is a video of my fastest run, 55.904. (fastest Corvette at the event!)

There is lots to learn, I have been at this for 23 years and still learning. I have a Black C5Z with a silver stripe. If you see me out at events I am always willing to help you get faster.

Hopefully you had fun and come out again!

Hurricane
Hurricane, congratulations on your time and clean run--very impressive. I'll look for your distinctive car next time out. Autocrossing was fun, relatively inexpensive, and the folks at the event were helpful and friendly. I'll return next Spring.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:22 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Glen has been a lot of help to many auto crossers at the NWACC events in Shelton also.

Get notified of new replies

To Tips for noobie headed to Bremerton auto-cross

Quick Reply: Tips for noobie headed to Bremerton auto-cross