Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Novice Final Run, Pacific Int'l Raceway, 12.19.2015

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 02:05 AM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Novice Final Run, Pacific Int'l Raceway, 12.19.2015

Today's spirited drive at PIR was a first-time experience for the car and me. I signed up for the Novice class, and on the last run of the day, my '15 Z51 is chasing a Maserati and BMW. I want to hand out gold stars for the instructors and managers of the event! Lots of takeaways and even more to still learn about this type of course driving.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:01 PM
Mufflerbearing
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice video, makes me wish I was back at it. Good instruction is a must and if you were with ProFormance they are very good at it. Lots of new track drivers want more speed in a hurry but following good lines while being smooth will bring the speed later.

Have fun!
Old 12-20-2015, 01:46 PM
nolimits
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Good job and the right way to start with quality instruction. There are several car clubs that put on events with instruction and skill level classes around here, Porsche, BMW etc. Beware it's addicting and you'll be back for more! 30 Years after my first event and I still get a big grin every time. The vettes are a great platform and value for this. Enjoy
Old 12-20-2015, 02:21 PM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mufflerbearing
Nice video, makes me wish I was back at it. Good instruction is a must and if you were with ProFormance they are very good at it. Lots of new track drivers want more speed in a hurry but following good lines while being smooth will bring the speed later.

Have fun!
Originally Posted by nolimits
Good job and the right way to start with quality instruction. There are several car clubs that put on events with instruction and skill level classes around here, Porsche, BMW etc. Beware it's addicting and you'll be back for more! 30 Years after my first event and I still get a big grin every time. The vettes are a great platform and value for this. Enjoy
Muffler and nolimits--learning from the ProFormace staff was invaluable. I don't have any comparisons, but they were superb professionals, and the day was well managed.
The toughest part of the training is un learning all my poor, and well entrenched street-driving habits. Good grief, I did not realize the depth of my crappy driving skills.
I picked up great ideas, and my instructor complimented me for applying the key lessons quickly. After rewatching the video, I can hear him chattering in my ear as he sat in the passenger seat. The embedded coaching model offered fabulous support.
This track experience was the most fun I've had in my vette since getting the car last July.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:30 PM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Very excited to return to PIR tomorrow and finish up the coaching sessions. I hope to earn my solo certificate, and further develop my driving skills. The C7 is a thrill to driive on this track.

http://proformanceracingschool.com/e...ping-series-7/

Old 02-26-2016, 09:16 PM
Mufflerbearing
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

ProFormance provides helmets for their programs but I'm just curious what the current Snell requirements are?

It's been a few years since I ran with the advanced groups but I'm guessing my Snell 2000 bucket is obsolete by now.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:53 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Mufflerbearing
ProFormance provides helmets for their programs but I'm just curious what the current Snell requirements are?

It's been a few years since I ran with the advanced groups but I'm guessing my Snell 2000 bucket is obsolete by now.
The SA2015 helmets are out now so it might be a good idea to start looking around for a new helmet. Most track day organizers will allow up to two prior certification periods so it could be that the minimum requirement would now be a SA2005 helmet. You should be able to find helmet standards on an organizer's web page.

There are some good closeout deals going on now for SA2010 helmets.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:16 PM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Feb 27 at PIR

Yesterday's weather conditions challenged all drivers. Two drivers in the intermediate group lost control, and totaled their cars. Fortunately, both drivers were o.k.

In spite of challenges, and feeling very sorry for those two dispirited chaps, I did connect with another C7 owner from Snohomish, #36. I am driving #38. Our cars are 2015 Z51s, and we noticed one difference in the skirts in front of the wheels. Mine were cut at 90 degree angle on the inside, and his were angled. My car was built during the last week of the 2015 production cycle.

The two men standing on the right, drove Hellcats. Although the cars had 700+hp, they could not negotiate turn #2 above 59mph. The C7 Z51 was superb on the straight and in the turns, and easily outmaneuvered the Hellcat.

The final run of the day, one-hour long, put the intermediate and advanced drivers into one group. I learned a lot from the same instructor who had coached me during the December training, and I drove away with my sport driving license!

Bernard and Bruce's C7s

Bruce's C7

Sport License

Last edited by bhk2; 02-28-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:54 AM
Evilash
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice. Sounds like a good day.

1 or 2 lost seems to be the going rate at every track day / proformance day I've ever attended over the last 17 years.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:54 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

I'll be there this June with the SCCA mid week track day, novice class also. Though I have been racing in Simulator leagues for many many years I appreciate the instruction. Nice video....I kept waiting for you to hit 4th! Ha Ha....

Last edited by JETninja; 03-06-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:18 PM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JETninja
I'll be there this June with the SCCA mid week track day, novice class also. Though I have been racing in Simulator leagues for many many years I appreciate the instruction. Nice video....I kept waiting for you to hit 4th! Ha Ha....
after watching the video, I agree-too task saturated to think about the shift from 3rd to 4th. During the Feb session, I shifted before red lining 3rd, and hit the mark for downshifting into turn 2.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:31 AM
Kevin_k
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Track Night in America

if by SCCA midweek inexpensive you are talking about "Track Night in America" I would strongly advise you to take someone with you that has a good bit of experience racing or at HPDE events and that knows exactly what they are doing (an instructor). I do not believe the "Track Night in America" events provide any instructors that ride with you in the car.

I have been doing HPDE events for a few years now and I can tell you that from my very limited experience having a qualified instructor in the car with you when starting out is a must.

Last edited by Kevin_k; 03-07-2016 at 11:33 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 03-08-2016, 12:12 AM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Well my oldest Son does lots of tracks days (Laguna Seca and The Ridge) and autocrosses. I've done autocross before with my M3. I race very realistic Simulators in Leagues with Stewards and penalties. I've driven about any modern track around the world and know lines quite well and have raced everything from ALMS GT's and Prototypes, Indycars, Formula 1, and tons more. This season we're racing GT3's and they are quite a challenge. That said I very much respect my C5Z and will not drive it anywhere close to it's limits. I do not want to wreck it. My M3 I have no problem driving it at the limit, the Vette is a whole nuther animal.... And the M3 has a Harness, the Vette does not as of yet.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:35 AM
Kevin_k
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Ok Good Luck

Well my oldest Son does lots of tracks days (Laguna Seca and The Ridge) and autocrosses. I've done autocross before with my M3. I race very realistic Simulators in Leagues with Stewards and penalties. I've driven about any modern track around the world and know lines quite well and have raced everything from ALMS GT's and Prototypes, Indycars, Formula 1, and tons more. This season we're racing GT3's and they are quite a challenge. That said I very much respect my C5Z and will not drive it anywhere close to it's limits. I do not want to wreck it. My M3 I have no problem driving it at the limit, the Vette is a whole nuther animal.... And the M3 has a Harness, the Vette does not as of yet.
Ok sounds good. I would still suggest having your Son ride along with you at first. I mostly go to events at the Ridge because its closer for me than Pacific. However, I just might make the Track Night in America event at Pacific in June. If so I will for sure look for you. Good luck and have fun!
Old 06-23-2016, 10:03 PM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Pacific Raceways June 22, 2016

Yesterday, the conditions at Pacific Raceways were wonderful. It was my first trip back after earning a Sport Driver's license in February, and spending two days in April at Spring Mountain.
My biggest error in this session was too much energy down the straight. Tapping the brakes around turn #1 is a big a no-no. Nonetheless, it was pretty cool driving at slightly more than 2x freeway speed.

I selected Track mode and then chose the third setting, Sport 1, and stayed there all afternoon. My shifting skills picked up a bit since the last outing. Around turn 3A, I downshifted into 2nd, and on the long straightaway up to 4th. Rev match activated for all downshifts.

Pacific Raceways offers a locally unrivaled opportunity to flex the car's muscles and enjoy Corvette therapy, for me, at its finest.

#10 Yesterday
Attached Images   

Last edited by bhk2; 06-24-2016 at 03:17 PM. Reason: pic not showing

Get notified of new replies

To Novice Final Run, Pacific Int'l Raceway, 12.19.2015

Quick Reply: Novice Final Run, Pacific Int'l Raceway, 12.19.2015