Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Corvette on ferry ship

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 11:10 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Default Corvette on ferry ship

I'm planning a road trip in my C6 Z06 and plan on driving from Seattle, WA up to Skagway, AK and taking the car ferry from Skagway to Bellingham, WA.

Has anyone done this? Any problems with the ship's ramps during loading/unloading?

How is the highway up to Prince George, then over to New Hazelton, up to Watson Lake, and then over to Skagway?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:30 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Make sure you follow high tide and do it then, or you'll have issues most likely. Cant speak on the rest.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:18 AM
RadnessWarrior
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Low tide sucks. I took the ferry from Bremerton to Edmonds after an AUTOCROSS. Getting on the ferry was no biggie. Getting off was terrible. Because it's 2 lanes you wouldn't be able to go sideways. I had to take it straight on and I scrapped a bunch on the nose. A little on the undercarriage.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:21 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by JETninja
Make sure you follow high tide and do it then, or you'll have issues most likely. Cant speak on the rest.
Thanks, but I doubt they will hold up loading/unloading the ferry while I wait for high tide. I guess that I should not plan on doing the ferry ride. I was looking forward to it.

Last edited by JoesC5; 01-11-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:41 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Can't hurt to contact the Alaska State Ferry system and ask them how they deal with lowered cars. They may be able to position your car so you can load/unload at an angle. Check the departure and arrival times for high tides; that will make a big difference in getting the car on and off easily.

Expect to pay a really huge fare I just checked the Alaska State Ferry system website and for one driver in a passenger car, from Skagway to Bellingham, it's over $1100.00. The trip takes about 3-1/2 days!

Looks like a pretty long drive going north. Weather is going to have a whole lot to do with a safe trip. I would be concerned about being able to get gas on some of the sections. And expect the cost of gas in Canada to be real expensive; could be as much as $6.00 per gallon or even more once you get out in the boonies.

Make sure you have either a US passport or a WA Enhanced Driver's license to be able to get thru the Canadian borders.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:42 PM
George's_Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Lived in Alaska for 25 years in S.E Alaska. Took the ferry many times up and down the inside passage. I've never driven the Alaska Hwy in a Corvette but have done it dozen's of times in vehicles and on my motorcycles. So I do have some experience behind my opinions.

Roads from WA to Skagway are good. When you go north from Whitehorse things get dicey with major break up and frost heaves which your Vette won't like. The later in Summer you make this trip the better the roads will be from this winter as crews will have repaired issues. Before they tend to road break up they put a funny sort of flag marker system along the edge of the road so motorists can note an issue. Once you bottom out your rig you'll learn to read the flags and jam on the brakes or in most instances you can roll over into the oncoming lane and miss the lack of pavement in your north bound lane.

As for the Alaska Marine Hwy ferry system. It's like a cheap sightseeing cruise. Not getting any cheaper as they keep increasing prices all the time. Prices increased Jan. 1, 2016, 4 or 5% as I recall.

I've had a number of run-ins with Ferry System deck crews over the years I used the system. 2 examples. Loading on the ferry in my vehicle, I've got two deck hands give me opposite directions where they want me to place my vehicle into which lane on the ferry. I just stopped and sat. They looked at me. Finally one approached and I informed the fellow they needed to have a quick meeting and Get Their **** Together and decide where they wanted me to park.

2nd was traveling by MC from JNU to Skagway. My wife at the times 1st MC trip out of JNU. We arrived in Skagway at low tide so the ramp was very steep. Tide changes in AK are very extreme compared to WA tides. We were instructed to get in line to depart in Skagway. Rigs were slowly making their way up the grated deck ramp to the barge in Skagway that is connected by another ramp to shore. I told my wife via radio to wait till the ramp was clear of vehicles so she could safely ride up the ramp without stopping and risking the likelihood of stalling, slipping and falling over etc. It was pouring rain out. She was ahead of me and we sat and waited while vehicles slowly crawled up the ramp. A female deckhand began barking at my X to GO, GO. I pulled up and told her to STFU, we'll go when it's safe. But overall the AK Marine Hwy ferry system is professional. Just lack of knowledge of specialty vehicle needs like motorcycles.

As for taking a Corvette on the ferry, as others have suggested the higher the tide the better the loading and unloading will go. The ramps are very adjustable and they will work with you but I suspect you will most likely drag your front air damn at both ends to the ferry ride. Not a big deal but be prepared to get out and work with the deck crew to adjust the ramps to get it as flat as possible for your load and unload experience.

Another issue to consider is rock chips on the car and windshield. They are inevitable since most of the roads in the north are chip sealed so flying rocks are in the air. And Corvettes are magnets since they ride so low. Whatever you do don't do the Cassiar Hwy. Not a Corvette Road. At least the last time I drove it. Nice short cut in a 4x4 but not in a Corvette. Trust me!

BUT, if it were me I'd make the trip. Just be weary of the issues I pointed out.

George
Old 01-20-2016, 08:59 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Ferry's are no good for lowered cars (or low cars in general). I'd advise against it.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:58 AM
K7MXE
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have never taken the ferry however I have driven from mile 0 and on my return trip I took highway 37. Highway 37 is now paved for the most part. You will find short areas of road construction where its still dirt. On the roads up there they tend to take their time fixing potholes but for the most part are marked. My C6 vert really stood out in Skagway and folks wanted pictures of it. Fuel was not a issue but sometimes you get regular or nothing and the C6 still got 30 mpg with regular on the trip. Fuel was highest at Watson Lake at $5.60 US money US gal.
Myself I figured the car was meant to drive not ride on a ferry. Its about 1800 one way to Skagway from where I live in Eatonville WA.
I would figure some kind of backup plan if you need a tire. I have a spare mounted ready to go that could be sent to me on the road if the run flat failed. You will not find a tire or repairman along the road. Your the repairman with what you take with you. A good trip drive it! Bob H in Eatonville Wa One more thing plan of finding a herd of animals right in the road not willing to get out of your way so deal with that slowly.
Attached Images   

Last edited by K7MXE; 01-27-2016 at 09:29 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette on ferry ship

Quick Reply: Corvette on ferry ship