Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

An unlikely favor..

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 12:41 PM
ChaseHendrickson
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default An unlikely favor..

My senior prom is coming up soon (in Albany OR. on April 16th) and I joke with my girlfriend a lot about picking her up in a new Corvette she never knew I had. While astronomically unlikely, is there anyone who would consider working out a deal? I'm 18, and an honors student in full AP/CP classes, no tickets or ever even stopped by police, I don't drink alcohol, and have never done any drugs. Here's a list of benefits you might consider-
- A full tank of gas when returned
- A lunch when we meet before since I assume you'd want to know I'm a competent driver
- A replacement vehicle choice for the night of A) A 1989 C4 or B) A pretty nice 1997 TJ Wrangler
- Small financial compensation of some sort or if you need work done around your house or something, I would be more than willing.
- Open to any and all offers or ideas.

As this is my senior prom and I absolutely love cars, this would mean the world to me and make my girlfriend's night. If anybody has any other ideas or places where I could maybe find a rental performance car, I'm all ears and thanks for anybody and everybody's help!
The following users liked this post:
SpeedyD (03-25-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 04:31 PM
Mufflerbearing
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Hertz rents Corvettes in selected locations. There are two Hertz outlets in Albany who probably don't have one in stock but could possibly obtain one or steer you to the nearest location that has one.

Good luck.

Last edited by Mufflerbearing; 03-22-2016 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:30 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

You seem like a nice young man...

my first concern wasn't that you are 18 yr old -- it was while you and GF were inside dancing who would be guarding the New Corvette.. lots of damage could happen outside of your control.

Last edited by C6 Snowboarder; 03-22-2016 at 08:41 PM.
ChaseHendrickson (03-23-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 10:40 PM
ChaseHendrickson
Cruising

Originally Posted by C6 Snowboarder

my first concern wasn't that you are 18 yr old -- it was while you and GF were inside dancing who would be guarding the New Corvette.. lots of damage could happen outside of your control.
Thanks for the kind words And you do raise a good point, I hadn't really looked at the venue before (The WheelHouse in Albany, I live in Sweet Home) and it is a much more public place than where it was held last year. In the previous location it would have been a near non-concern but I worry about that now. Thanks for your input
Old 03-22-2016, 10:58 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Cant rent cars till your 21 and you'll pay an extra fee till your 25.....
ChaseHendrickson (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 12:34 AM
ChaseHendrickson
Cruising

Originally Posted by JETninja
Cant rent cars till your 21 and you'll pay an extra fee till your 25.....
Yeah.. Can't wait to be old
Old 03-23-2016, 12:38 AM
ChaseHendrickson
Cruising

Originally Posted by C6 Snowboarder

Thanks for the kind words And yeah you raise a very good and valid point. I hadn't looked much at the venue (the Albany Wheelhouse) and kind of assumed it would be similar to last years' which was pretty private and not much of a concern for vandalism or the like. Unfortunately that doesn't seem true here
Old 03-23-2016, 12:42 AM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by ChaseHendrickson
Dude, enjoy every year, don't rush. I have 4 Sons (26/24/18/14) and you'll be sorry if you don't take advantage of these years. Enjoy them, invest a couple thousand every year, and work on the education and have fun!
The following 3 users liked this post by JETninja:
ChaseHendrickson (03-23-2016), Jimmyz28 (03-27-2016), Not4spd (03-24-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 12:49 AM
ChaseHendrickson
Cruising

Originally Posted by JETninja
Dude, enjoy every year, don't rush. I have 4 Sons (26/24/18/14) and you'll be sorry if you don't take advantage of these years. Enjoy them, invest a couple thousand every year, and work on the education and have fun!
Haha that is the plan, and I certainly will try my darndest to have some fun
Old 03-23-2016, 02:14 PM
ManuelCarrillo3
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should Tweet to Matt Farah of The Smoking Tire and ask him if you can borrow his C5. He'll likely say "no", but it never hurts to ask. Something like that would go viral. At any rate, we'll be publishing your story on our Corvette Forum front page news section. Best of luck. I was lucky enough to get to drive my dad's C5 to homecoming in 2002 when I was a senior in high school, so I'd love to get the word out to help you have a similar experience.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:34 PM
PMorganRacing
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Front page news!

Thought we'd widen the net to the front page too. Good luck!
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...corvette-prom/
SpeedyD (03-25-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 02:10 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,978 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Interesting request, and I feel for you. I really do, as I too wanted to drive a Corvette to prom almost 25 years ago. It didn't happen.

Instead, I used that as motivation for every class I took, every book I read, and test I took through college. It motivated me through my first jobs and into starting a business of my own at age 27. Approaching our 15th anniversary, my Corvette has always been a huge motivator for me and still brings a smile to my face every morning.

I've owned 6 vettes, and just picked up my first Z06 3 weeks ago. A 2016 DSOM Convertible. They are all my babies, and I have a pretty strict policy of only letting a select few drive my Vette...and they usually fall into a category of people who can afford to replace it.

I'm not in your area, but if I was I'd have to decline. I do wish you success in your hunt, I just wouldn't hold your breath. For me it wouldn't be just the question of cosmetic or material concern for my car, but your safety and my liability. Those factors trump the SH** eating grin this car would put on your face...for now, we may need to leave that responsibility up to your girlfriend on prom night.

Stay motivated.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:20 PM
vettefordays
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm 21, I would let you take my C7 Z51 to prom if you were here. I feel your pain. You'd probably get into some deep **** with my car though hahaha
Old 03-24-2016, 02:46 PM
ZnammZ06
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

how you plan to pay for the damage if something were to happen?
Old 03-24-2016, 04:01 PM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Good for you for taking the initiative to ask! As a HS teacher for 24 years it's good to see what appears to be an articulate, honest, ambitious young man. My hat is off to you! When I was in high school (WAY back when ...) you remind me of me. I worked at a local grocery store and mowed grass as well as taking all advanced classes and playing basketball. I never had enough money to drive a nice car but loved cars and still do. I really don't have any advice for you other than to say if I was 2,200 miles closer I'd let you drive our highly-modified C5 to your prom and follow you in one of your cars and just switch them out once you arrived. Of course I'm not sure if your girlfriend/date would enjoy climbing over the roll bar in her dress.

I admire your ambition. Keep it up ... even if it doesn't work on this go-around it will take you a long way in life.

Scott
SpeedyD (03-25-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 04:02 PM
2012CyberGrayGS
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope it all works out for you. I try to be generous and have let quite a few people drive my car but most of the time I am in the car with them with all the electronics on. I tell them they can enjoy the car and jump on it but be careful. I also usually tell them, depending on my who they are to me, they are responsible for damage.
One thing to think about which has already been talked about is vandalism. These cars attract all types of people, good respecting people and jealous people(along with careless people). I can park a dozen spaces from the nearest car and it never fails that there will be at least one car next to me even if there are plenty of other spaces open.
One last thing to realize, these cars sit low. You can't always go were other cars go. There have been many parking lots I have had to pass up or find another way in or out because of the very small approach angle. The front end on my GS, from the factory, sits between 4 and 4.25" off the ground. The air dam is 2.5"
With that being said are you willing or able to fix the car if something happens? That could really set you back financially.
Just something to think about. I don't want to discourage you, I am rooting for you, but I just want to know the risks.
There are people out there who would do it. I personally know someone that let complete strangers take his $155k Masseratti for the day. They came up and complemented the car and said their son was coming in town and would love to see the car. He handed them the keys and took their old beat up car for the day. He is also a person who wouldn't freak out if something happened to the car. It wouldn't be a big deal to him. He would just want you to have had a great time.
Hopefully it all works out for you!
SpeedyD (03-25-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 04:08 PM
Stang-etr96
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If you have a 1989 C4 Corvette at your disposal, what's wrong with that? I let both my sons take my C4's to senior Prom. and as recently as 4 years ago my soon to be step son took it to his senior prom. There where C3, C4, C5, and a C6 at his prom. Just be happy you get to drive any vette at 18....

Get notified of new replies

To An unlikely favor..

Old 03-24-2016, 05:37 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,818 Likes on 1,966 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

...funny this came up.....a friend of mine's kid called me the other night to ask if he could borrow the Quick and the Silver for his Senior Prom. Nice kid good student but I had to tell him no because even my wife has never driven the C6......then I told him it had a 6M in it and that got him....he can't drive a stick......If I had my 90 C4 still hanging around I would have let him use it....it was a 4A......

Later I got to thinking that to stay good friends with folks its better that they don't borrow stuff.....keeps everyone friends......I never lend out my chain saw either.....just saying......
Old 03-24-2016, 05:53 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ChaseHendrickson
Don't rush. It comes fast enough.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:54 PM
WhoIsPat
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Pulling for you to find someone who will work with you, but if it doesn't work out, don't forget that it's cooler to drive your own beater than to borrow someone else's baby. Make the best of what you have now, treat every car like a dream car, and one day when you have exactly the one you want, you'll appreciate it to the fullest and won't have to adjust your habits to keep it as nice as the day you fell in love with it.
SpeedyD (03-25-2016)

Quick Reply: An unlikely favor..