Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Wake/Gathering in Kent - In Memoriam Fred Perra

Old 05-30-2016, 10:00 PM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by last901
Ah... Mike me thinks thou knows me too well... I ran out of single malt - fortunately of the Highland origin and still have some Islay (Laphoriag) remaining. Mostly of the 10 year vintage. The quarter cask I was saving for a special occasion gave way yesterday as I was watching NASCAR. Never drink Scotch as an appropriate cocktail when watching a 5 hour race. I tried to save a little for the replay of the Monaco Grand Prix but after a dozen laps in the rain behind the Safety Car - which looks like Pat's new ride - I gave up and went to bed. I did take a wee dram in my glass though and so grabbed a bag of Cheetos and so took them to bed, along with the cat (as if I had any choice) and read some more in my new book about Alan Mulally and his struggles and triumphs at Ford.

Roswell, the cat, started sniffing around my glass of Scotch and then started to attack me. A bit of a story here, but better left for another time. Think Chief Inspector Cluseau and his housekeeper, Kato.

So... what was the question?

Have you bought your slot car entry for the BBQ at Aarons?
Not Mulally!

Between all the Boeing and Ford employees he eliminated and the hundreds of millions he got in bonuses for it, I'm convinced there would be no unemployment were it not for him. Am I starting to feel the Bern. Maybe the Donald would have saved them...I am so confused. Maybe I will find clarity in two ice cubes and two fingers of Whistle Pig or Pappy Van Winkle.

No sense wasting Highland or Islay on questions that will never be answered.

Slot cars? I do not lose gracefully, therefore I don't compete unless I have spent countless hours, days, months and years sharpening my skills. Short answer is put me in a real car and let me kill myself before experimentation.

Last edited by NofakeJake; 05-30-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:11 AM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

When Alan was at Boeing it rocked, and same with Ford who are the #1 selling USA Car company atm.....Right now Boeing is laying off and offering voluntary layoffs, cause they can no longer sell our planes at a premium like in the old days, Airbus has stepped up their game and the customers all agree cost is the #1 thing.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:26 AM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Manchester - Political correctness is tyranny with manners.
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JETninja
When Alan was at Boeing it rocked, and same with Ford who are the #1 selling USA Car company atm.....Right now Boeing is laying off and offering voluntary layoffs, cause they can no longer sell our planes at a premium like in the old days, Airbus has stepped up their game and the customers all agree cost is the #1 thing.
For more than 40 years European governments have heavily subsidized Airbus. They paid 100 percent of the development costs for early Airbus products, and today Airbus still receives one-third of the billions of dollars needed to develop new commercial airplanes. Even its most recent model, the A350, has gotten billions in public funding. As a result of such substantial and ongoing assistance from European governments, Airbus has been able to capture half of the global airplane market, with significant negative impact on America’s aerospace industry.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:42 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by JETninja
Old 05-31-2016, 03:54 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NofakeJake
Not Mulally!

Between all the Boeing and Ford employees he eliminated and the hundreds of millions he got in bonuses for it, I'm convinced there would be no unemployment were it not for him. Am I starting to feel the Bern. Maybe the Donald would have saved them...I am so confused. Maybe I will find clarity in two ice cubes and two fingers of Whistle Pig or Pappy Van Winkle.
Mike, you must be drinking something to suggest there would no unemployment if Mulally hadn't been recruited. I can understand certain people being unhappy over the bonuses, but you must admit that the 3 major auto manufacturers were in trouble, two went into bankruptcy (as Ford would likely have if not for Mulally.) So what do you suggest precluded this? The 9/11 Attacks? Sure, they had a dramatic effect on all businesses.

The story is too lengthy to go into here. Read the book.

Hell, I might write-in Mulally for President on my ballot.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:08 PM
seattle
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Aaron,
Please add Gail and myself to the list.
Gail will probably make a salad.
Thanks,
Bruno
Old 05-31-2016, 08:03 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by seattle
Hi Aaron,
Please add Gail and myself to the list.
Gail will probably make a salad.
Thanks,
Bruno
Sounds good - I look forward to seeing you both.

And thank you for bringing this thread back on topic!
Old 06-01-2016, 12:26 AM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

WA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by DidntSettle
For more than 40 years European governments have heavily subsidized Airbus. They paid 100 percent of the development costs for early Airbus products, and today Airbus still receives one-third of the billions of dollars needed to develop new commercial airplanes. Even its most recent model, the A350, has gotten billions in public funding. As a result of such substantial and ongoing assistance from European governments, Airbus has been able to capture half of the global airplane market, with significant negative impact on America’s aerospace industry.
Already know all that (30yrs this Oct with them) but don't think Boeing doesn't get some deals, both at the state level on both coasts, plus they get away with paying very little taxes, plus post 9/11 C-17 carried the company for many years. They also get a fair amount of NASA grants for "aero" studies.....yes its not at the level as Airbus but still substantial.

Sorry Aaron for going off topic.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:14 AM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Manchester - Political correctness is tyranny with manners.
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Here is something interesting I found about Fred's life.

https://firstofthefinest.wordpress.c...29/fred-perra/
The following 4 users liked this post by DidntSettle:
AaronZ51 (06-21-2016), last901 (06-01-2016), Mr. Peabody (06-01-2016), XC6VETTE (06-06-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 01:18 PM
Mufflerbearing
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Good read. That fills in a lot of blanks in our conversations, thanks!
Old 06-01-2016, 07:00 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

WA Events Coordinator

Agreed, awesome read of Fred! BTW, we have 2 Maine Coon Cats also! Ha Ha....
Old 06-01-2016, 08:46 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Thanks for sharing that information link.

About 3 years ago, Fred, Walter and I took a day and cruised in our Corvettes down to Vancouver for some business they had to do with Tom Wong at his performance shop. We met that morning at Fred's house in Lakewood and I happened to get there before Walter. While Fred and I were waiting, he graciously invited me to look at his magnificent, fully equipped woodworking shop and garage. Among other things, I saw lined up on some shelves a series of model airplanes. I asked him about them and he replied that those were models of all the planes he'd ever flown.

It was quite a collection.

Here's a picture I took of him, Tom and Walter that day...February 8, 2013.

Last edited by ExRedRacer; 06-02-2016 at 01:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
XC6VETTE (06-06-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 12:13 AM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

That was a very interesting bio on Fred. Thanks for finding and posting the link!
Old 06-03-2016, 09:09 AM
grandsport4me1963
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronZ51
For those of you who haven't heard, our friend, Fred Perra, passed away on Monday. Walter made the following post:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...perra-rip.html

I will be hosting a gathering at my house to celebrate the life of our friend. All are welcome. There will be food & drink & camaraderie.

I will provide some entrees - probably a couple batches of chili and maybe some pulled pork (Fred always brought his most awesome pulled pork). Please bring something to share: side dish, dessert, beverage, etc. Post if you're able to attend and what you plan on bringing. If you're unable to bring something, don't let that stop you from coming!

Date: Saturday, June 25th
Time: From noon until the neighbors call the police (hopefully not!)
Location: Aaron & Jenn's house in Kent, WA (I'll PM address/directions to all who post they're coming)

Attending:
Pat (Mufflerbearing) - Cake
Joe Duch
Mark & Anita (Mr. Peabody) - dessert/wine
Joe (Red Racer) Page
Phil & Mary (last901)
Walter (XC6VETTE) - Pulled pork
Keith & Carol-Jean (KMCOLDCARS) - Fruit salad
Joe & Laurie (NW94Z)
Bruno & Gail (seattle) - Salad
Mike & Sue (NofakeJake) - Beverage
John (JETninja) - maybe
This is really hard to believe. John sent me a note telling us of Fred's passing. His family is in our thoughts and prayers.

Aaron, thanks for hosting the event but we will be in Spokane that weekend. Please raise a toast in honor of a fallen Vette guy and great all around person.

Brad
Old 06-03-2016, 05:59 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

My New slot car "Burien Mercury Cougar" arrived today. Will the track be ready?

Old 06-03-2016, 07:05 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by grandsport4me1963
This is really hard to believe. John sent me a note telling us of Fred's passing. His family is in our thoughts and prayers.

Aaron, thanks for hosting the event but we will be in Spokane that weekend. Please raise a toast in honor of a fallen Vette guy and great all around person.

Brad
We will definitely do that, Brad.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:56 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How's the track coming Aaron?

Get notified of new replies

To Wake/Gathering in Kent - In Memoriam Fred Perra

Old 06-18-2016, 09:04 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by XC6VETTE
Be careful how you respond, Aaron. He has become a bit of a 4WD "snob" and may very well show up with an entry that doesn't require a "slot"

If he does, I'm bringing a hydroplane.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:26 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by XC6VETTE
I purchased the plywood (CDX), two sheets of 10'x4' now have to build the frame this week. My wife didn't like my plans for building the frame (big surprise). She said it'd be too heavy with 2x4 around the perimeter and with three cross supports... We'll hopefully make progress on it tomorrow. I want to get it finished by Thursday so I can have time for a "test & tune" on Friday (translation, I need to figure out how everything works once assembled).
Old 06-20-2016, 03:15 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronZ51
I purchased the plywood (CDX), two sheets of 10'x4' now have to build the frame this week. My wife didn't like my plans for building the frame (big surprise). She said it'd be too heavy with 2x4 around the perimeter and with three cross supports... We'll hopefully make progress on it tomorrow. I want to get it finished by Thursday so I can have time for a "test & tune" on Friday (translation, I need to figure out how everything works once assembled).
........or, you could leave it all and put Phil to work. I hear he's quite handy down at the boat shop....doing what, nobody knows.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wake/Gathering in Kent - In Memoriam Fred Perra