Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Just Got this

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 07:12 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Just Got this

Only scale model I've seen of this car. Wrong color for sure, but...

1:43 scale, came in small display case. My Corvette collection grows... Just sharing in case there are any model collectors out there.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:05 AM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Corvette Corvair Concept?

I've never heard of it. Although my parents did own a Corvair for about 6 months. I can't imagine why they sold it so quickly . Maybe it was the release of the Mustang that motivated them
Old 06-10-2016, 05:23 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 920 Likes on 465 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

Chevrolet presented two concept cars in 1954.

The Corvair:

And the Nomad:

The following users liked this post:
last901 (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 05:25 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by duckvett
Chevrolet presented two concept cars in 1954.

The Corvair:

And the Nomad:

Well, isn't that interesting. Looks like my model was the correct color after all. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2016, 05:44 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SmileyOr
Corvette Corvair Concept?

I've never heard of it. Although my parents did own a Corvair for about 6 months. I can't imagine why they sold it so quickly . Maybe it was the release of the Mustang that motivated them
Depends on the timing perhaps. Ralph Nader had "his way" with the Corvair in his book, "Unsafe at Any Speed" which, though I've never read it, have come to beleive most of his arguments proved to be bogus. GM over responded and killed the Corvair anyway instead of defending it. I went through two Corvair coupes during my formative years. My dad's '61 Cheapo version complete with unborn gila monster hide floor coverings and a little lever poking out from under the dash allowing one to select from the offerings that a Powerglide made available to buyers at the time. Mostly D and R. Oh, and "N"

I was dating a girl who lived far enough away to make a trip in my '49 Ford seem as risky as trying to get to her house aboard the Kon-Tiki. My dad would allow me use of the Corvair once or twice a week to go on dates so I went to Big Wheel Auto Parts and bought some baby moon hubcaps, a set of those fake white walls that one could add simply by deflating the tires and tucking the fake white walls under the rim and then re-inflate the tires. Then for the final touch, I added about 300 lbs of rocks to the front trunk (The Corvair was rear-engined as you know) and instantly - well after a few minutes of lifting heavy rocks into the trunk - I had the coolest Corvair in town. My girl friend was impressed, her friends were impressed and I began building strong arms trying to steer the Corvair in traffic with all that weight in the trunk. Not to mention the before and after rituals of putting the rocks back into my friend's parents rockery before I got home

Probably best to end the story here, other than to say about a year later I bought my own Corvair - a '62 Monza with a 4-speed. Lots of stories there too, but we were talking about my new little model car, weren't we?

Get notified of new replies

To Just Got this

Quick Reply: Just Got this