Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Could Use Advice re replacement Battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 07:25 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by JETninja
One, always use two buckets when washing, one with the soapy water, the other with just water to rinse you wash mitt in before dipping in the soupy one again. Easy way to prevent any debris scratches. And a leaf blower is a great way to dry them also, just don't to close or your scratch it with the plastic end of the blower.
Good suggestion John. Rather than use two buckets, I just put the hose inside the mitt every minute or so and spray at high (?) pressure to "backwash? the particles from the mitt. Same idea though.

BTW, how are you feeling?
Old 07-07-2016, 09:10 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Phil, use an OEM. As to the tender connection. The small nuts on the post connections are a size 10 mm I believe. I was able to put an additional nut on it after putting on the connectors for the plug in tender. If that doesn't make since I'll take pictures!
Old 07-07-2016, 10:16 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Ammo
Phil, use an OEM. As to the tender connection. The small nuts on the post connections are a size 10 mm I believe. I was able to put an additional nut on it after putting on the connectors for the plug in tender. If that doesn't make since I'll take pictures!
mostly. It begs the question though as to what does OEM really mean? I know what the acronym means, but does it also mean the battery has to be a Delco or can it also mean another brand that meets OEM requirements?

So, let's say it means a Delco. (or whatever passes for Delco these days) who sells them besides the Chevrolet dealers (presumably)? Yes, Mike, those little 10mm securing screws/bolts work very well on my original unit.

Thank you... Oh, now that I think about it, if I use a non-OEM battery, can I be considered to be a modified entry in the show next month?
Old 07-07-2016, 11:43 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Slowly getting better, not getting much sleep though. Wearing this tortoise shell like thing to help my spine heal makes it difficult. Only take pain killer before bed. Got the Vette back in the garage, will be parting it out in a month or two...
Old 07-08-2016, 12:40 AM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Slowly getting better, not getting much sleep though. Wearing this tortoise shell like thing to help my spine heal makes it difficult. Only take pain killer before bed. Got the Vette back in the garage, will be parting it out in a month or two...
Hang in there John. No need to rush it.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:50 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NofakeJake
I always stick with the AC Delco OEM battery but what do I know Phil.
Here's one for you Mike!
http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2016/...eek-speedfest/
Old 07-09-2016, 10:40 AM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by XC6VETTE
Thanks for the great clip. Reminds me of the first day we met Walter. You blew by my ZR1 in your Z06 on Willows Rd.... And then I caught you about a quarter mile later heading to Redhook Brewery

Or maybe it was a mile before I caught you

Maybe I didn't catch you ?
Old 07-09-2016, 03:24 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 295 Posts

If I could lie to you, I'd tell you it gets better and you hardly notice the shell (officially called a TLSO) after a while. The only bright side I can say is at least you're not in the cervical collar as well that holds your head immobilized so you can't turn your head; that and the fact you're not paralyzed! After my accident I was in that setup for 3 months. It was surprising how sore I got once it was off since your body starts relying on the shell for support of your torso.

Keep a positive attitude and this too shall pass... Just glad you're still with us and mostly in one piece!
Old 07-10-2016, 12:43 AM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Thanks Aaron, I do have a positive attitude for the most part though I get pretty bummed when I think of the Vette. Still boggles my mind how the rear stepped out like that. Never done that in 3rd before. Oh well, at some point I'll have another just like it back in the garage. Think I'll stick to better tracks with proper modern run off room also...
Old 07-10-2016, 01:32 AM
Mufflerbearing
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Think I'll stick to better tracks with proper modern run off room also...
I can't speak to The Ridge as I have never been there and although not as handy, I think you would enjoy Portland a lot more in that unlike Pacific it is not as technical, no elevation changes like Pacific, the turns are broader and you can carry good speed all the way around which I enjoyed.

It's usually better to head down the day before and grab one of the hotels by the track near I-5 so you are fresh the next morning.

Just my .02
Old 07-10-2016, 12:11 PM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Manchester - Political correctness is tyranny with manners.
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Only Phil could get this many posts on a battery replacement. Red Top Optima for me. Had them in 2 Corvettes and never had a lick of trouble with them. If the OEM one I have now in the C6 fails, it'll get a red top.

Quick Reply: Could Use Advice re replacement Battery