Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

dead animals, and low lips=bad day

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 08:10 AM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Received 739 Likes on 334 Posts
Default dead animals, and low lips=bad day

As I'm driving on 526 at 4am this morning, I hit what looks like a full grown, female deer, in the middle of the highway, dead, and on it's side thankfully, but I had cars all around me, so I couldn't place it anywhere but right down the middle of the car. I felt the thing lift my Vette it was so tall. Back in the shop it goes to make sure the damage is as "superficial" as it appears. I hit it pretty hard, considering it knocked the screens, and my license plate cover out of the bumper, but I won't know the extent of the damage until I can get it up on the lift.

Bummer. I'll tell ya this though, I'm not buying another ACI lip, too damn low. I JUST repaired it a second time. No coming back from THAT damage.
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2016, 08:15 AM
Todds427
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Ouch! I hit a squirrel running across the road last weekend, caught my front spoiler! Dam these cars are low!
Old 08-05-2016, 08:39 AM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Yes, yes they are. Mine is at a body shop for inspection. It is looking like I'm going to need to claim it on insurance :/ the paint on the bumper is all splintered, and all the plastic stuff up under the car is broken up, including the bumper...looks like I'm probably missing the xxx show again this year.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:27 AM
kenthomas4
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

[QUOTE=ErikwithAK01;1592773018]As I'm driving on 526 at 4am this morning, I hit what looks like a full grown, female deer, in the middle of the highway, dead, and on it's side thankfully, but I had cars all around me, so I couldn't place it anywhere but right down the middle of the car. I felt the thing lift my Vette it was so tall. Back in the shop it goes to make sure the damage is as "superficial" as it appears. I hit it pretty hard, considering it knocked the screens, and my license plate cover out of the bumper, but I won't know the extent of the damage until I can get it up on the lift.

Bummer. I'll tell ya this though, I'm not buying another ACI lip, too damn low. I JUST repaired it a second time. No coming back from THAT damage.[/QUOTE

Dang that sucks. You have all the luck with that C5. Maybe it's time to think about another car?
Old 08-05-2016, 01:12 PM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Blasphemy hahah! I agree, my luck hasn't been the best. I just wish I bought that guys' lip he had when I got my side skirts. Regardless, I have to get my wheels, and pay off my Jeep before I can spend the money to fix the Vette. Unless I can cut another deal with my wife, I might not be back on the road with it until April.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:34 PM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

OK, the car is getting fixed. I handed over the cash, and the keys this afternoon maybe I can get them to give me my build sheet out of the front rebar while they're in there lol.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:53 PM
cherokee433FL
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default lower lip removal

i have my machine in the shop in marysville, and am taking this opportunity to have the airdam removed. in looking at it, it looks like there is not too much more than 3 1/2" to 4.00" clearance and have decided from most of the responses that it would be worth taking it off.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:38 PM
cherokee433FL
Advanced

Default air dam removal

after being told by the shop that they did not want to remove the air dam since it would affect cooling and air control, i decided to read up on it and found from all responses that there is no affect in temps after removal. mine is broken in 2 places anyway so first chance i get i plan on taking mine off.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:33 PM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Uhhhh, I would not if I were you. I'm getting a shorter front splitter, not air dam. If you ever drive your car hard, sit in traffic, or drive in another state that's hotter than ours, you'll be asking for trouble. The air dam itself is just a spring loaded polyurethane panel. Dragging it over curbs or anything doesn't hurt your car whatsoever, in fact, that is EXACTLY what it is designed to do. I took off the small pieces at either side, but those are just there to direct air around the wheels (lower coefficient of drag). With out openings in the front of the c5 (like the c6), the only way you get directed air to the radiator, is via the air dam. You can get away with it in the mild temps we have here, but your fans will be pulling triple duty to make up for the loss in ram air effect. Besides, even after lowering my car, the air dam is self trimming
Old 08-11-2016, 03:39 PM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

How mine currently sits :/
Attached Images   
Old 08-11-2016, 07:27 PM
cherokee433FL
Advanced

Default air dam removal

appreciate your response. i guess that i will have to research this topic a little further, if nothing else just for the knowledge of what is going on in front in in the design for max cooling on brakes and the engine itself. i do not want to cut corners having been raised in the southwest and knowing what it is like from the heat. i am not from Phoenix itself, but have been there enough times to know what it is like during summer both night and day.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:19 PM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

To be able to handle the performance that the C5 puts out, the radiator has to see some serious air flow. I have the vents in my hood specifically to vent the high pressure air coming through the radiator, at very high speeds. After doing raw stainless long tubes, my under hood temps shot up, and my my trans was over 211 constantly. Since I vented the hood, I never see trans temps above 190 (even in the upper 90's), and my fans only click on for half the time, and less frequently. Plus, with a decent front lip, and no added drag coefficient from the trapped air, the car is seriously planted at freeway speeds +. Maximizing what is already there is the name of my game...although I do enjoy doing crazy things with my car as well
Old 08-12-2016, 12:08 AM
cherokee433FL
Advanced

Default pressure relief

very interesting, like cowl flaps on radial engine. open the flaps and it allows more airflow through for temperature control. i have been noticing the work you have been getting done on your car, and wondered several times if the louvers that you installed were functional, and could not figure out why not with what it must have cost to cut holes in the hood. was there a kit that puts those in? i seem to remember you getting those installed.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:41 AM
cherokee433FL
Advanced

Default vent installation

i found pictures of your vent instl dated 3/12, looks like a great job you did. as you mentioned, i would have had to stop at least once to let it sink in as to just what the heck i was doing cutting holes in the hood especially since there no turning back once the cutting began. i might be open to having that done myself later on, at least explore it further. you must be at boeing in fabrication somewhere since it is apparent that you are at ease in doing that kind of work. i retired there after 30 years in 767/747 engineering in floors.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:43 AM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

I am I've worked in body structures on the 747, and 767, since 08, but I've also had years of experience building race cars, and frankensteins hahaha! My father and I are building a 35 chevy right now, with a jaguar rear end, and V12 out of an XJS. We have fun with the hobby

Old 08-16-2016, 01:13 PM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

The car is in paint, and I should have it back by the end of the week I had them order a Vortex lip, instead of an aci lip, so I won't be as low to the ground. Looking forward to driving my Vette again!

I just got off the line with Get Your Wheels, and it looks like I might have my new Forgestars just in time for the xxx show They said 5-7 weeks, and it'll actually be not quite 4

Last edited by ErikwithAK01; 08-16-2016 at 01:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GetYourWheels (08-18-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 10:32 AM
kenthomas4
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ErikwithAK01
The car is in paint, and I should have it back by the end of the week I had them order a Vortex lip, instead of an aci lip, so I won't be as low to the ground. Looking forward to driving my Vette again!

I just got off the line with Get Your Wheels, and it looks like I might have my new Forgestars just in time for the xxx show They said 5-7 weeks, and it'll actually be not quite 4
Sounds like things are coming together for you Erik!
See you at the show!
The following users liked this post:
ErikwithAK01 (08-17-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To dead animals, and low lips=bad day

Old 08-18-2016, 02:15 PM
GetYourWheels
Supporting Vendor

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Sorry about the lip Erik
Good news is your wheels should be very soon, they should look incredible on your setup!
Old 08-18-2016, 03:34 PM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Originally Posted by GetYourWheels
Sorry about the lip Erik
Good news is your wheels should be very soon, they should look incredible on your setup!
It is what it is, that's what we have insurance for

Oh man! Am I looking forward to seeing those wheels O_O Are you going to take pictures of them, and put them on the shipment of the day thread??? I would really like to see the finished product before they ship out!
Old 08-19-2016, 12:29 PM
GetYourWheels
Supporting Vendor

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

It is what it is, that's what we have insurance for

Oh man! Am I looking forward to seeing those wheels O_O Are you going to take pictures of them, and put them on the shipment of the day thread??? I would really like to see the finished product before they ship out!
We will! Make sure to send us some installed photos as well to share when we post the wheels

Quick Reply: dead animals, and low lips=bad day