Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Beautiful Day for a drive in the PNW

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 03:47 PM
dshawster
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Beautiful Day for a drive in the PNW

I'm relatively new to the area, anyone have suggestions on nice drives and/or photogenic stops?
Attached Images    
Old 01-12-2017, 09:47 PM
Kamran
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Chuckanut Drive, hwy 11 South of Bellingham.

Carnation to Snohomish, through Carnation farms. You could start at Snoqualmie Falls after breakfast and end in Snohomish for some home made pies.

Neah Bay (take the Edmonds ferry across to Kingston). 70 miles of undulating twist and turns Sound from Port Angeles to Neah Bay, each way. About a 400 mile trip from Seattle and back.

Last edited by Kamran; 01-12-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:17 PM
dshawster
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kamran
Chuckanut Drive, hwy 11 South of Bellingham.

Carnation to Snohomish, through Carnation farms. You could start at Snoqualmie Falls after breakfast and end in Snohomish for some home made pies.

Neah Bay (take the Edmonds ferry across to Kingston). 70 miles of undulating twist and turns Sound from Port Angeles to Neah Bay, each way. About a 400 mile trip from Seattle and back.
I've done Chuckanut Drive, that was a nice surprise when I came across it. I'll keep the others in mind.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:46 AM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are new to the area, then play a couple of days and drive on the Olympic Peninsula out to Neah Bay. Drive up Hood Canal, maybe stay overnight in Port Angeles. Drive Highway 112 out to Neah Bay, and come back via 101 on the south side of Lake Crescent.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:29 PM
VIK TOY
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The drive East thru theGorge is spectacular. We moved from Maui and I hated Oregon until we took a drive thru the Gorge !! WOW!!!!
Old 01-15-2017, 12:35 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by dshawster
I'm relatively new to the area, anyone have suggestions on nice drives and/or photogenic stops?
Hey!

I see you stopped at my favorite spot in the world to take that picture down at Dash Point! Great place to park and enjoy the scenery from your car and take pictures too.

A great drive for a long summer day is the North Cascades Highway which starts in Burlington and goes over the Cascades to Winthrop. One way or another, I'm going to make that drive this summer and perhaps some of the guys on this PNW forum will join in.

Keep checking back here when the days are long and the temps are a lot higher and welcome to the Northwest.

Last edited by ExRedRacer; 01-15-2017 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:39 AM
dshawster
Instructor

It is a nice spot to stop and chill out for a bit! Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:41 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Rather than try and give route instructions, I'm just going to identify some places to visit and let you try to figure out how to join them together as needed depending on how much time you want to allow.

Snoqualmie Falls and nearby North Bend are a must - especially if you're a fan of the TV series, "Twin Peaks"

Snohomish is worth the short drive and can be combined with any number of trips to and from. Snohomish caters to people who like antiques, but for several of us on this forum, Especially Poodle Girl, Fred's Riverside Ale House in Snohomish is worth a stop. Food's okay, but their assortment of scotches is amazing.

Lake Sammamish State Park, near Issaquah is just a big park with swimming in the lake an attraction. It's also where serial killer Ted Bundy began his horrible "career"

Vancouver B.C, is about a 3 hour drive north and is beautiful. I used to be able to do a long day trip there and back, but since 9/11 I haven't been there. Don't forget your passports. I'm told much of the Hong Kong "money" moved to Vancouver when HK went back to the Chinese. A much more "cosmopolitan" city than Seattle.

The Cascades Highway to Winthrop is beautiful, but the road is closed until late spring.

Port Townsend, via the Edmonds Ferry, or a drive through Olympia is fun.

Hurricane Ridge, near Port Angeles is spectacular, as are many spots in the Olympic National Park.

Too many things to see and do, especially in a Corvette. The Coast, say Ocean Shores, by way of Hoquiam/Aberdeen (Kurt Cobain's former home) is a fairly easy day trip. That said, the Oregon beaches are more attractive and I strongly recommend Cannon Beach and suggest the road from Longview through Astoria rather than via Portland. Allow at last a couple of days for this one though.

Lots of places to see and to enjoy. Just get out a good map or play around on Mapquest to see the options for routes.

Happy Trails
Old 01-25-2017, 01:21 AM
00Midnight
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Don't forget an overnight trip to Chelan area (wineries) and from there a quick and exciting run to Grand Coulee dam.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:03 PM
vet4me45
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Taking advantage of the great weather the past few days. Took a trip around the south sound and stopped Allyn for a beer. Photo is my new Z06 looking out on Case Inlet.
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2017, 06:08 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by vet4me45
Taking advantage of the great weather the past few days. Took a trip around the south sound and stopped Allyn for a beer. Photo is my new Z06 looking out on Case Inlet.
Very nice. I used to spend some of my summers in Allyn staying with family friends, picking brush and shooting .22's at anything that would stand stiil long enough for me to aim. Mostly beer cans.

Loved it when the salmon came up Coulter Creek to spawn. Got to learn to drive a Jeep at 13 years of age.

Beautiful "Z" though. Love the wheels.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:36 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Took the Z out for a spin to the coast and back yesterday. Beautiful. The only drawback was all the rocks on the road from the recent snow in Oregon.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:45 PM
Gold Dragon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts

Hwy 410 south over Chinook pass is a sweet drive. Lots of switchbacks and curves, excellent place to work the car. The View's are incredible, and there are plenty of areas to pull over and take it all in. Unfortunately it will be closed until late spring. That's a nice looking white 69 you have. You should post more pictures with details.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:07 AM
vet4me45
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

We did the Olympic Peninsula last year and it was a great trip. Lots to see and do there. We loved the Quinault Lake Lodge, Crescent Lake and Hurricane Ridge. We also did a road trip to Mt. St. Helens and then down to the Columbia River stopping at Hood River and hitting some of the great wineries in that area. Great scenery and great wine!

Get notified of new replies

To Beautiful Day for a drive in the PNW

Quick Reply: Beautiful Day for a drive in the PNW