Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Corvette places 1st at Sebring

Old 03-19-2017, 12:18 PM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Default Corvette places 1st at Sebring

It was an incredible race and touted as one of the finest for Garcia. Number 4 car went out early due to mechanical issues/ overheating. Ford GT's were running 1,2 3 for part of the race. Corvette came on late. Garcia / Corvette didn't have the fastest car and just out raced everyone the last two hours. I say raced as the pit crew and strategy played a significant part in the end.

Best part is it ruined Ford's bid for triple crown of Rolex, LeMans and Sebring. I have great respect for the Ford GT and would have enjoyed their win over any other non US manufacturer (read Porsche here Phil)

Old 03-19-2017, 02:18 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Yeap, I watched it all and was amazed at the last hour when Garcia got ahead and slowly expanded his lead up to almost 5 seconds at the finish.....

The Ford GT is soooooo tiny compared to every other car its not fair in my book. It has incredible aero....
Old 03-19-2017, 04:19 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

I think the most impressive part was the fact that Antonio Garcia gained positions while the windshield was covered in oil and I forget what else. Definitely a good race.

​​P.s, good to see you back on the forums Mike
Old 03-19-2017, 07:00 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 294 Posts

That was an enjoyable race - I just finished watching the last 40 minutes I had to record yesterday due to a conflict. Garcia sure can drive - believe they said he did a 3 hour stint to finish the race? That's impressive, especially coming from behind like he did.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:30 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm pleased to see the Corvette win the event. I didn't watch the entire race. A few drams of Poodle Girl's prized elixer does not last 12 hours. Nor do I?

It is a lot of fun to see coverage of the races in real time. It is sometimes difficult to understand who is where in terms of position in class and O/A. Very good racing though.

Mike, believe it or not I was pulling for the Corvettes. I know I make a lot of comments and references to Porsches, but it's only to establish a point of reference just to let others know I have owned Porsches before my Corvette so I don't sound like some whiner who may never had one of the other brand. I can;t tell of course, but I suspect a lot of the discussion over which is better comes from people who have not owned both.

Make no mistake, I'd buy another 911 in a heartbeat if only they would have kept building 1989 Carrera 3.2 litre cars.

In the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy my C6 Aero Lightweight (one of 42) and the people who hang out on this forum.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:51 PM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Sorry guys, been so long I forgot how to reply to multiple threads

It has been a while Shawny. Finally settling in from the move but a lot yet to do. Landscaping, deck, unpacking the garage. Couldnt find my lawn sprinkler

John, you know every inch of Laguna Seca, is Le Mans on your bucket list? It's on mine.

Aaron, can't wait to see that new car of yours at RTC or Jeffs.

Phil, no one likes a winner, hence my comment about Porsche. They are/ were just too darn good! They should have won this race at Sebring had their driver not cut a tire and mentally imploded at the end of the race.

I almost bought one years ago but was a bit taller and broader and couldn't fit comfortably. Funny how age robs us of so many things. My ears have grown longer however..... seriously!

In those days, nothing sounded better than a V8 pushrod.Decades later, I appreciate the sound of a 3.2 air cooled. Was not a fan of the recent fried egg headlights . Oh well, People think I'm crazy because I love the C5 a$$ end.

We had a few ribs at Jeff's today. He really has perfected them and those brisket and pineapple baked beans
Old 03-19-2017, 11:08 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Hey Chris, opening day for E@RTC is April 1....be there if its sunny, I plan on with my new C5Z. And yes, I plan on Lemans in future, plan on retiring in 2-3 years and selling this house and making out big time and moving somewhere with less rain and more land. And either a rental or buy a small place in Northern Italy also.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:30 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by NofakeJake

It has been a while Shawny. Finally settling in from the move but a lot yet to do. Landscaping, deck, unpacking the garage. Couldnt find my lawn sprinkler
Didn't know you moved. I suppose the Witness Protection Program doesn't want to leave you in one place too long, huh?

So, when's the housewarming?
Old 03-20-2017, 09:50 PM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by last901
Didn't know you moved. I suppose the Witness Protection Program doesn't want to leave you in one place too long, huh?

So, when's the housewarming?
Old 03-20-2017, 10:42 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by NofakeJake
Glad to hear the move went well. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like when we get older, there seems to be less and less time in the day to do things. I don't think it's a big deal you lost your lawn sprinkler, it's supposed to rain for the next week.

Hope to see you @ RTC sometime soon.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette places 1st at Sebring

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette places 1st at Sebring