Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Urethane Acrylic Enamel

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Happydad
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urethane Acrylic Enamel

Well got the paint and primer..Going BC\CC...Got the low temp activators......My question is should I reduce it.. instructions say you can but not necessary..What makes it necessary..I'm going to use my HVLP guns ..will wait a bit untill it's a bit warmer ..If I want just a base coat of K2 Primer I know I can reduce it..But I'm Going Filler Primer Coat with out the reducer...Base coat says the same..If I reduce the base coat will it cover as well ??? Never used Urethane B-4 Just wanted to get some opinions on reduceing both Primer and Base Coat.. pros and cons
Old 03-20-2007, 09:48 PM
Jim Dillon
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

It may help if you supply a little more info such as the paint type by brand name and the color. The color may be important if you are using metallics vs a solid color. If you read the spec sheets and it gives you a choice you have a few things to consider. Without getting scientific with viscometers to test how thick your sprayable material is, there can be some general rules. If you are using cold shop reducers they set up quicker and warm or hot shop reducers allow the paint to stay wetter longer so that the material can flow a little longer. If your paint is thick and you use cold shop reducers then the painted surface will more than likely have more texture (orange peel) because it sets up quicker. Texture is not necessary with basecoat as much as it might be with a piece of construction equipment. You want your paint to cover but flow out as much as possible. You want your basecoat to look as good as possible more than film build. Then when you get the look you want the clear coat can give you additional build and showcase the great job you achieved on your basecoat. If you lay a bunch of texture with basecoat you may magnify what you have done with your clearcoat. Mixing paint is chemistry and the way it lays down can sometimes involve physics so the more attention you pay to how you mix it and the surface temps etc the better chance you are going to have at a quality paint job. Give a little more info and make sure you have all the information and spec sheets from the manufacturer.

As to the K2 primer thinning it out according to manufacturers instructions is advisable. Some guns cannot push heavy material unless the fluid needle and tip are quite large. If you have some areas where you really want a heavy coat then you can go for it in those areas but in the other areas I would as a general rule thin it out so it sprays wet and flows out. Sometimes if it is too thick it sprays too dry which is not the optimum thing to do. These are not hard and fast rules but hope it helps- Good luck-Jim

Quick Reply: Urethane Acrylic Enamel