Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Reccomended spray guns?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 12:00 AM
demonx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reccomended spray guns?

What do the pro's reccomend for spraying?

Is it best to have a different gun for primer/base/clear or will a good gun be ok for all three?

I've been considering a SATA 2000 or 3000, but is there something else that is just as good or better?
Old 03-01-2007, 01:00 AM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,332 Likes on 674 Posts

Sata is as good as it gets. You are going to want at a minimum one good gun for your basecoat/clearcoat and a gun for primer. You do not need a high end gun for primer, a cheapo gun will work just fine for that.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:18 AM
demonx
Racer

Originally Posted by JD'S WHITE 93
You do not need a high end gun for primer, a cheapo gun will work just fine for that.
I have a "cheapo" gun, but it splatters a fair bit, it's been around...

What do you mean by cheapo? As in a low model SATA, or a definate cheapo?
Old 03-01-2007, 01:48 AM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,332 Likes on 674 Posts

Originally Posted by demonx
I have a "cheapo" gun, but it splatters a fair bit, it's been around...

What do you mean by cheapo? As in a low model SATA, or a definate cheapo?
I used a generic siphon feed Devilbiss copy gun with a 1.8 tip. When spraying primer as long as you got a gun that will hammer it on you're good. It's all going to be sanded anyways. I wouldn't invest in a high quality primer gun. Star makes most of the copy guns from Nesco to Sprayrite and etc. Anyone of them would be fine for laying on nice wet coats of primer.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:21 AM
demonx
Racer

Originally Posted by JD'S WHITE 93
I Star makes most of the copy guns from Nesco to Sprayrite and etc. Anyone of them would be fine for laying on nice wet coats of primer.
"Star" is the brand that the local paint shops kept trying to feed me when I kept asking for Iwata when I bought my last airbrush. I ended out getting it from the USA for half the Australian asking price.

I might have to look out for a decent star gun as a primer and get the SATA 3000 for the rest.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:05 PM
chevyreb
Instructor

In reading posts from other auto body forums the big 2 high end guns for base/clear seem to be between the Sata NR2000 (newer NR3000?) and the Iwata lph400 guns. Since I have not used either I am leaning to buying the Iwata because I have yet to read anything negitive about it and the rebuild kit and parts are much less than the Sata's. Alterative good low buget and or primer guns Astro Neumatic and some people use the Harbor Freight purple guns with good results, however I would probaly only consider the HF for a primer gun personally.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Jim Dillon
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

It may benefit those that are in the market for a new spray gun to keep in mind that it may be wise to match your new spray gun to the capacity of your compressor. As an example, I use Devilbiss guns which I like and have used for a long time. If you were to purchase a Devilbiss HVLP gun, depending on the air cap you could be using up to 16 CFMs of air. If you were to purchase one of the Plus series which is a high efficiency gun, depending on the air cap you would be using around 11CFMs. HVLP guns use a large amount of air so you have to have a large enough compressor or you will be waiting for your compressor to catch up during your coats. Find out how many CFMs your compressor is rated at before buying the biggest HVLP and you may save your self some money and headaches. If you have a small compressor you can still paint but would have to match up an air cap that would consume less in the way of air. I have used SATA and they are very good guns and I would imagine you can work with your jobber to sell you a gun, be it SATA or Iwata or Sharpe or whatever,that will meet your needs within the range of your compressor. -Jim
Old 03-01-2007, 07:53 PM
1980ZZ4
Racer

Just got a Devilbiss GFG 670 after doing a bunch of research and asking the same question on other body and paint forums. From what I understood, you can't go wrong with either the SATA or the Devilbiss upper end guns for the color and clear coats. Like someone already said...a low end gun will do a respectful job for primers.
FYI, I chose the Devilbiss primarily due to the cost, but I did get to see the results of several cars painted with it and was impressed.

Good luck in your choice.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:27 PM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

A $30 Ebay HVLP gun with a 2.0mm tip is perfect for primer. You're sanding the primer anyways so why not use a cheap gun.... for base/clear I use a DeVilbiss Finishline3 HVLP, great gun and not too expensive.

Look at this forum:
http://autobody101.com/forums/forum-5.html

There are many professional painters on that forum, many will tell you that you do NOT need a $500-$800 Sata gun if you're only painting a few cars at home.... leave the high dollar stuff for the pros who use these guns 12hrs/day, 5 days/week.....
Old 03-01-2007, 11:41 PM
chevyreb
Instructor

Yes many pros use bargan guns, many guns can give excellent results when dialed in correctly. This is where practice and experience come in. Some of the more expensive guns are better for amatures because most of the guesswork is taken out. Precission guns are easier to dial in and get more consistent results.

From what I have heard the Satas are air hogs. the LVLP (low volume low pressure guns) or RP (reduced pressure) are what to look for to use with smaller compressors.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:05 AM
BondoKing
Intermediate

Sata's and Devilbiss GTI are air hogs.. The Iwata LPH 400 LV is great gun and low pressure.. It also cost 400 bones, so that may not be what some want to spend

I read good things about the Devilbiss 670 I think.. much less air than the GTI and great for clears.

I used Astro for many years, and they are good for knock off guns.. For a one time paint job, I dont think you can go wrong with Astro
http://www.spraygunworld.com/products/Astro/index.htm

I dont like Sharpe guns.. I think they are just plain not good, but that is my opinion and not the opinion of others
Old 03-06-2007, 08:27 PM
bondoboy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like my Sharpe Platinum H.O. A lot of people say Sharpe is junk. Usually they are talking about the Finex gun. They are chinese made, unlike their high end guns which are USA.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:00 AM
international blue
Melting Slicks

Received 2,407 Likes on 1,042 Posts

The Sears craftsman HVLP is 100.00 and should be good enough for primer. Does anyone use these for finish coats?
Old 03-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Jim Dillon
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I am not familiar with Craftsman HVLP guns but like alot of their stuff it is made by a big name company with their name affixed. Remember with HVLP guns many of them suck a bunch of air from your compressor. If your compressor is a 5 hp with an 80 gallon tank and can put out around 13 cfm or better you are going to probably be OK with HVLP. If not, you can buy a reduced pressure gun which I find to be as efficient as HVLP in delivery of paint without waste. Also if you are going to use a HVLP gun for primer which is great, remember to get one with a large fluid needle and tip (I would say 1.8 or bigger) so you can spray the thick stuff. There are dedicated primer guns and they are worth it if you are going to be spraying some of these thicker surfacers or polyester based primers-Jim
Old 04-01-2007, 04:38 AM
demonx
Racer

Thanks for all your comments. I'll definately have a bit more reading to do and check out a lot of these guns before rushing into a new purchase.

I had to put the new gun on hold for a few weeks as I had some unexpected expenses pop up, but all is well and I'm back in the market!

Thanks guys.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Deakins
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used many guns over the years and find the Sata Jet 2000 digital to be the best for putting down high end finishes. I have not had a chance to try the 3000's yet but I imagine they are very good as well. If you are going to spray a lot of epoxy primer or anything that is very high build you will want a primer gun. The Sata KLC HVLP will put down a nice smooth coat even when spraying high build primers. The most time consuming part of the job is sanding; why spray rough primer that you have to eat away at before you can start getting the panel smooth? In the end you usually get what you pay for so use up your budget and don't forget a good air filtration system that gives you technically clean air. The gun is only as good as what goes through it!
Old 04-01-2007, 10:31 PM
tellefan
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I just bought a pair of Devilbuss Finishline3 sprayers. They came with a regulater and three spray tips. I will use one for primer and the other for base coat and clear coat. I paid 129.00 each with free shipping on ebay. I'm planning on painting fuel rail covers for C5's and both of the tanks, one overflow, the other windshield washer. And maybe some other small stuff. David

Get notified of new replies

To Reccomended spray guns?

Old 04-03-2007, 10:12 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I debated the whole paint gun thing for months before I decided on the Devilbis GFG 670 Plus. It really is an amazing gun for the price. Here's a link to my paint thread for the results:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1515347
Old 04-03-2007, 11:00 PM
al329
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sperkins
I debated the whole paint gun thing for months before I decided on the Devilbis GFG 670 Plus. It really is an amazing gun for the price. Here's a link to my paint thread for the results:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1515347
Dude it dosent get any better than that!!!

Great work!! Looks awsome!!

Was that your first outing painting a vette?
Old 04-04-2007, 09:20 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks! It was my first paint job of any kind. I was VERY fortunate.

Quick Reply: Reccomended spray guns?