Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Are 1968 hood hinge mounting points not reinforced well?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 01:46 AM
Bally
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Default Are 1968 hood hinge mounting points not reinforced well?

This is eventually a body-work question:
I was looking at a '68 Coupe for sale a couple of days ago, a really decent 79,000 car with a poor repaint from the early 90's, it'll need a little body work and a repaint (the 327/350hp motor ran like new, never a rebuild). I liked the car and am considering buying it, but it had a wierd problem area-right at the points where the hinges are located, both front fenders (at the areas just above the hinges) were cracking badly (paint was mostly gone in both areas, about 1"x 1-1/2") and the right side, which was worse than the left, looked like the fiberglass had started to rot and it was de-laminating.
I have a couple of questions:

1) Is this a common problem, and if so, would this problem be caused by a lack of proper support/reinforcement in the '68's hinge mounting points which in turn is causing the fenders to flex, and over time, this damage occurs?

2) If so, can the hinge mounting points be reinforced (if this a '68 problem, was it corrected in '69-maybe the hinges/supports are better in a '69, can they be used on a '68)?

3) will it be a difficult fix repairing the damaged fenders?

Thanks!

Last edited by Bally; 05-01-2007 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:25 PM
sarchevyman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 68 and have not seen that issue, if you could post a pic of the areas someone may be able to help

Quick Reply: Are 1968 hood hinge mounting points not reinforced well?