Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Fillers for over epoxy resin

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 09:45 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Default Fillers for over epoxy resin

I just performed some body repairs on a '76 using epoxy resin and mat. In retrospect maybe I should have maybe used some of the newer urethane based repair materials for SMC. Now I need to grind the repair area and finish with filler. In the past I've always used Evercoat 870 on top of polyester resin and mat. There is no mention of it not being compatible with epoxy in the spec sheet, however it does say compatible with FRPs, SMC, most rigid plastics, etc.

It does work great on top of epoxy primers like DP and SPIs epoxy so I would assume it would stick well to epoxy resin.

Well that didn't really answer my question so I called Evercoat which wasn't much help, the gal said it should work as long as I grind the epoxy and all their products were polyester based, even for SMC. Hmmm, I really wanted more confirmation than it should work. Anyone have any suggestions.

Last edited by Scott Marzahl; 05-30-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:54 PM
popa
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re epoxy

I think you were very lucky to get any info from Evercoat. I like thier products and have used them for years,but have never been able to contact a tech rep,I was not aware you could put 870 over epoxy.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:53 AM
ikwhite
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott I have come across some epoxy friendly based fillers that may be of some interest to you, here is one of the sites I came across and will add the others when I locate them again . For the record I have not tried these products out yet as I am still in the research stage myself.

(Scroll down to lightweight epoxy filler on following URL!)

http://www.fibreglast.com/category.p...rc=HelpfulProd

http://www.fibreglast.com/documents/479.pdf

Here is another one that I am looking at, but is a two component polyester like the evercoat I assume, this is the same company that ecklers gets it's SMC filler from.

http://www.adtechplastics.com/pc-25-...ra-filler.aspx

ikwhite

Last edited by ikwhite; 05-31-2007 at 08:13 AM. Reason: added some more product info.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Thanks IK,
I stopped by two different fiberglass supply houses yesterday and they both suggested just mixing my own topcoat filler using epoxy resin and microspheres. This is what the boat guys do. Just mix your resin as normal and add enough microsphere powder until it is like peanut butter and spread it on. If you have an area that needs more than just a finish coat you can mix the resin with milled glass fibers and Cab-O-Sil for more strength. This mix however will leave pin holes when sanded so you'll want to recoat with the microsphere mix.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:32 PM
OC-1
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

Default epoxy filler

Scott,

I use West systems epoxy for all repairs and try to get as perfect a surface with the epoxy/thickener/micro fibers or shredded matt. If I need to level the surface more I use Vettebond as a surfacer such as over bonding strip repair.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:59 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Thanks OC-1, it looks like I'm on the right track!

Get notified of new replies

To Fillers for over epoxy resin

Quick Reply: Fillers for over epoxy resin