Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

need help with the paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 08:21 PM
karl gwardyak
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help with the paint

just started painting after what seems like years getting the bodywork done.well i ran the clear but good on the rear bumper cover.in removing the runs i sanded through the clear and thats where my problems started.i was told that i had to put down base again but when i did it wrinkled. then i was told i had to seal the clear so i sanded it back down and primed the spot again.the primer stuck nice i sanded it down ,made sure it was clean then layed the base, but again it wrinkled.it looks like it only wrinkled around the edge of where i primed.can any one tell me whats going on.any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:56 PM
popa
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems

the only time I saw this was with sherwin williams clear. I think your best bet is to sand the defect out , let set in the sun a day then use a waterborne primer to seal it ,let dry,then sand with 400 or 500 dry then paint. good luck
Old 07-09-2007, 06:23 AM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

You didn't mention what brand or products you used so it's difficult to diagnose. Did you follow the recoat times stated on the product data sheet? Recoat times can vary from a few hours to several days depending on the product you were using.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:12 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

base is shot too wet. put thin coats on for coverage, let cure for max time. same with reclear, go easy. best to put a coat of epoxy on it instead of primer.

Get notified of new replies

To need help with the paint

Quick Reply: need help with the paint