Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

How do you mold in the front bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 06:58 PM
enkeivette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How do you mold in the front bumper?

My rear bumper has been molded in and I want to do the same with my front bumper. The rear bumper is glass whereas the front bumper is the stock material (78, I beilieve it's urethane). First of all, is it even possible to mold in two different materials? If so, should I use fiberglass resin? Bondo? Someone clue me in.

My rear bumper has small cracks in the paint where is was molded in that I will have to repair. Does anyone know how to repair these to prevent the new paint from cracking?
Old 09-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Bruce C
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the middle of molding in both my bumpers on my 74 using fiberglass bumpers. (I don't think you can do it with urethane) I'm using stainless steel fasteners and large panel adhesive epoxy that has a 70 minute working time to attach them. Seems to be working so far. I'm making sure the bondo is a little thicker over the joint.
I don't know what to do about your cracks, other than check how your bumper was bonded on. If it's not a 100% firm joint, it's going to flex and crack so I'd redo it. I'd be afraid of putting in flexible filler and a flex agent in the paint, it may not look right a few years down the road.
Good luck...
Old 09-14-2007, 11:17 PM
rexx78
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bruce C
I'm in the middle of molding in both my bumpers on my 74 using fiberglass bumpers. (I don't think you can do it with urethane) I'm using stainless steel fasteners and large panel adhesive epoxy that has a 70 minute working time to attach them. Seems to be working so far. I'm making sure the bondo is a little thicker over the joint.
I don't know what to do about your cracks, other than check how your bumper was bonded on. If it's not a 100% firm joint, it's going to flex and crack so I'd redo it. I'd be afraid of putting in flexible filler and a flex agent in the paint, it may not look right a few years down the road.
Good luck...
Yup, first of all, you need both fiberglass bumpers.

After you bond the bumper to the body, you "V" groove the joint and fill with kitty hair. You can use a polyester filler on top of the kitty hair to final fill.

Last edited by rexx78; 09-14-2007 at 11:22 PM. Reason: polyester, not polyurethane

Get notified of new replies

To How do you mold in the front bumper?

Quick Reply: How do you mold in the front bumper?