Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Paint Stripper Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 04:28 PM
cgl61
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Stripper Not Working

Hi guys! I've been lurking and reading all I can in the many useful forums. I'm stripping my 86 and have come across something that I haven't in the many past projects I've done. My paint stripper is not working on some of the paint. I've already stripped the rear quarters and the upper hoop with out any problems. I moved to the doors and the stripper will not budge the paint. I went to the hood and more of the same. I thought maybe the stripper hit the wall on shelf life so I bought some more and it didnt' work either. I'm using captain lee's, bought some new stripper at the local paint shop, kleen strip and citris strip and none of them are working on these areas. The stripper temp and surface temp are 75 and up. Is there some paint or hardner that is this tough? What now? Break out the DA? I would really like to finish by chemical stripping. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:51 PM
79vetter
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if this is recommended or not but I too had this problem with Citristrip. So I decided to take the edge of a razor blade and very gently score the paint in a criss-cross pattern. I then applied the stripper on thick.
Citristrip will work only if you keep lathering it on and don't let it dry up. I would put on thick before I went to bed, score it, wrap it with a big piece of plastic and usually the next morning it would have started working.
good luck..
Old 11-04-2007, 05:46 AM
cgl61
Intermediate

I'm sure I won't be buying any more Citristrip for car paint stripping anymore. I've left it on for more than 24 hours with close to a 1/4" of material and it hardly started to work. I'm baffled about the other strippers not cutting into this paint. Could baked on paint cause this?
Old 11-04-2007, 11:29 AM
BADFNC5
Advanced

did you scuff the surface at all before putting the stripper on? i always go over the paint lightly with 80 grit on a d/a, then put the stripper on. scuffing it with the 80 lets the stripper get into/under the paint and will help lift it off.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:30 AM
BADFNC5
Advanced

oh, and for what its worth, i always use kleenstrip, ive never tried the citris strip.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:03 PM
gmans71
Intermediate

i used spra-strip from mid america and it worked great...almost too great..also temps between 65 and 85 help as well....
Old 11-23-2007, 10:33 PM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

NEVER use striper on epoxy resin. Find other posts about it and read them, nuff said
Old 11-23-2007, 11:21 PM
RainJ
Safety Car

Location: Biloxi MS Theres something happenin' here, What it is ain't exactly clear.....

shocked no one suggeted putting another dollar in her G-string!

(looks like you've gotten great advice so figured it was time for a grin)
Old 11-24-2007, 07:58 PM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,021 Likes on 839 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default vettes

Throw the d. a. away for vettes. If you use it, and dont know how to use it properly, your vettes going to look like "surf city" (wavy).
Old 11-24-2007, 10:31 PM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

CGL61, you can use a razor blade in a manner that is unlikely to cause damage. Hold a single edge blade by the top, obviously, and PULL it toward you with just a bit of pressure. Don't have it 90 degrees to the surface, but leaned back toward you a bit. After you do this 3-4 times, you'll get a feel for it. BE CAREFULL is all I can tell you. PULL not push. To get all the paint off, it really is best to wet sand it.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint Stripper Not Working

Quick Reply: Paint Stripper Not Working