Tempature and orange peel

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 09:35 PM
mayordaly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tempature and orange peel

Hi guys Today I was doing some practice painting flames on an old hood
before I do my 64. It was hot here in So. Ca. >90 deg. I went to clear it, first had lot of Orange peel, tried adjusting gun and air to the point of sagging and runs, I used PPG DCU2010 and 2011 medium temp.
Was hot tempature and a medium hardner cause that much OP
Old 05-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Jim Dillon
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

How you mix and how you spray as well as temp can affect the amount of texture. When you spray a panel wet it may have some texture as you spray it but as the wet paint sits it should be able to flow out a bit. When you have a real hot day the flow rate is naturally affected and if you must spray in hot conditions it is wise to switch to a hot reducer. Hot shop reducer will stay wet a bit longer and give it a chance to flow out. It is relatively inexpensive so try some in the hot conditions and mix your paint correctly. Try spraying a medium coat and immediately try another medium coat right on top of your test panel. You should not run it or sag it and it should flow out pretty good with the hot reducer. Good luck-Jim
Old 05-19-2008, 02:50 AM
mayordaly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks Jim

I hope it was the heat, Haven't painted when it was this warm, Wife said it was 100 in some parts of so. cal. today. The last coat I put on very wet and did finally flow together, but sides of scoop felt very
rough OP. Man, there is always a lot to learn nowadays about paint.
I painted a lot of lacquer in the 60's and not mush since then.
Thanks again, I'm going to try some SPI clear on another car soon.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:21 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

air pressure = run control
fluid adjustment = orange peel

too much fluid will cause orange peel. not enough air and you get runs. it's not how much you put on but how you put it on. first use the right temp reducers. start setting the gun up with the fluid shut down. set air, start at 1 turn out on fluid. do a test on a piece of paper. fan open . when you get to an even patter (cigar) your ready. you may need to turn out fluid 1/2 turn or so after you start. gun adjustment is the most important thing in todays paint. not like lacquer . the wetter you make it the more peel you will get. you have to spray it the way you want it to look. urethanes flow very little. hope this helps some.

Get notified of new replies

To Tempature and orange peel

Quick Reply: Tempature and orange peel