Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Flex agent HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 06:11 PM
Captain Chaos
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flex agent HELP!

Note: The following products do not require DX814 for use over flexible substrates:
DeltronŽ (DBU), DeltronŽ 2000 (DBC) or any other basecoat products.

AS from the PDF file for PPG DX814.

This is EXACTY the same BS that Dupont handed me. It wound up costing me a HOOOOOOGE amount of work to redo a show bumper once. The base coat didn't flex and you could see the cracks straight thru the clear coat.

They told me two different times on the phone it would be fine and work.

So.... I ask has anyone really seen the end result of NOT flexing the base coat of DBC?? Cause I dont want the same nightmare to come see me twice.

The PDF also refers to K38 RTS (ready to spray)???? Do they mean mix the K201 in first THEN ad The flex?

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:37 PM
OzzyC4
Drifting

Originally Posted by Captain Chaos
Note: The following products do not require DX814 for use over flexible substrates:
DeltronŽ (DBU), DeltronŽ 2000 (DBC) or any other basecoat products.

AS from the PDF file for PPG DX814.

This is EXACTY the same BS that Dupont handed me. It wound up costing me a HOOOOOOGE amount of work to redo a show bumper once. The base coat didn't flex and you could see the cracks straight thru the clear coat.

They told me two different times on the phone it would be fine and work.

So.... I ask has anyone really seen the end result of NOT flexing the base coat of DBC?? Cause I dont want the same nightmare to come see me twice.

The PDF also refers to K38 RTS (ready to spray)???? Do they mean mix the K201 in first THEN ad The flex?

Thanks for the help.

Yes, rts means mix the paint as directed, then add the flex agent.

I prefer BullDog, Click here for BullDog info my PPG dealer told me about it, it is the only one he has any faith in.

If painting a new urethane bumper and it has no oem primer, it needs to be baked at 140 f for one to two hours before painting.

If you dont have access to an oven, then set it in the summer sun and keep rotating it so the sun bakes on all sides for a day.

The plastic needs to off gas, or no matter what you use it won't stick worth a hoot.

then it needs to be properly washed, I use SEM Soap Click here for SEM soap info

Then spray it with the adhesion promoter, then use it as the flex agent in the base coats,

I find clears dont generally need a flex agent.

Last edited by OzzyC4; 06-26-2008 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:04 PM
derek 91 vette
Advanced

you can flex the base? This was my main complaint about the base being so brittle.

******the primer needs to be flexed as well as the clear.******* From MY experience everything was cool except the base.

When doing a show car or quality job. I never go outside the paint system. That effects the warranty. If the paint company has poor bonding AND IS BRITTLE....then don't use it.
DISCLAIMER... THIS MY OPINION AND IS ONLY AN OPINION. IT DOES NOT REFLECT THE COMPANY POLICY OR POLICIES. AND OR THIS FORUM.

Last edited by derek 91 vette; 06-27-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:12 PM
derek 91 vette
Advanced

Euro paint has elasto actif. In my opinion.... This is a "real" flex additive. All the rest is just retarder.

Get notified of new replies

To Flex agent HELP!

Quick Reply: Flex agent HELP!