Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Clear Top Coat in a can to cover Rustoleum or DupliColor

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Clear Top Coat in a can to cover Rustoleum or DupliColor

I've asked this like 2 times already and have had no valid responses...I'm hoping the 3rd time is the charm. I've used Rustoleum to paint my parts. I'm looking for a top coat that comes in a spray can that I can use to seal the paint...otherwise it will get chips from rocks & such.

I used McCloskey's Man O' War Marine Spar Varnish on my springs...it provides a good coat that is flexible, but it's not as tough and doesn't stick to the paint like other polyurethanes I've used...it seems to peel easily. I think I'll try some of the harder drying polyurethanes...unless someone that has more experience with painting can chime in and help me out.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:20 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK...I'm trying some Rustoleum clear enamel and another brand of urethane.

My initial tests show that urethane is slightly tougher than enamel. Both are resistant to oil and degreaser that has been left on them for two days. Enamel can be shaped better with sanding than urethane because urethane tends to create large cylindrical "rolls" while enamel tends to create small bits similar to wood in size and shape so enamel can be tapered to blend while urethane leaves edges.

So, it looks like enamel is the better choice for parts that do not flex; however, the urethane spar varnish is best for parts like springs.

Last edited by Rockn-Roll; 08-30-2008 at 03:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Clear Top Coat in a can to cover Rustoleum or DupliColor