Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Macco Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 07:27 PM
dariopop
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Macco Paint Job

I just want to make this clear " I HAVE NO OWNERSHIP OR ANYTHING ELSE TO DO WITH MACCO " I am just a Corvette owner who wanted his car painted at a reasonable price and not overcharged because " ITS A CORVETTE!!!"
When you drive a Corvette its like they see you commong from a mile away , some of the prices quoted from the paint shops made me laugh all the way home .
A little bit about my past, 40 years ago after the service I was a body man for a few years until I went back to school , so I kinda of know a little about the subject. I still have all of my spray guns and supplies so I was planning on doing the paint job in my garage this winter. I had my car plastic media blasted down to the bare fiberglass and I did any repairs that needed to be done and I ground all of the seems down and filled with glass. I had a problem getting my garage up the correct temp to paint the car so I started to look for paint options.After going to a few shops and getting quotes that sounded like they wanted to retire after they painted my car ,plus hearing horror stories about the car being tied up for weeks if not months, some one told me about a Macco shop in town. It didn't hurt to go and check out the shop, that dosen't cost a penny. I walked into the shop and saw 2 corvettes that were in the process of being painted and was really impressed. Let me make myself clear, no two Macco shops are alike ,everyone is independently owned and operated, so you can't just make an off the wall statement like " MACCO PAINT JOBS SUCK" The normal Macco paint job that everyone usally see's is the one that a guy painted just to sell the car for $400.00.
I brought the car to the shop without primmer , so they could see the repairs that were done on the car, I removed all the chrome ,mirrors and emblems,

Take a look at my pics, everyone that I show my car to are amazed that it's a MACCO paint job. This car has not even been color sanded yet, it's right out of the door ,the paint is 9 months old and I don't even think that I will color sand it.
Here is what I got: Base Coat / Cleae coat , Ultra 7000 their top of the line paint, I also had my door jams and hood jams painted,
The clear is a special clear the they put on Nascar's that resist chipping if debris hits it. its also an Ultra 7000 product.
1) They sealed it with an expoxy sealer
2) They sprayed 2 coats ( sanded in between ) of epoxy primmer
3) Base coat
4) Clear Coat ( 3 heavy coats ) enough for a few color coat sandings in the future if needed.

Total price out the door ,$2000.00 with sales tax. including a 5 year Warranty
$1499.00 - Paint, $400.00 - primer and door jams

When I was pricing out the paint and supplies to do it myself the cost was around $1,200.00 alone.
My car is a daily driver and I am retired so the car is out everyday and as you can see it still looks great. This winter I am going to do a polish
job on her to protect the paint, I wanted to make sure that it was all cured out 1st.
Bottom line here is CHECK around.
A friend of mine with his vette had a problem with his paint job that cost him $12,000 he took it back to the shop 3 years later and they wouldn't do anything about it because it was 3 years old, he had to take him to court ( he won ) but what a hassle.
Here's a good deal, if the Macco painter has been through there Sherwin Williams paint school and certified the paint job is Warranted for life!!! ( right from the Sherwin Williams Web product page )
Hey guys the proof is in the pudding take a look:

Name:  023.jpg
Views: 1830
Size:  127.1 KB
Name:  vette012.jpg
Views: 1760
Size:  61.5 KB
Name:  vette015.jpg
Views: 1792
Size:  104.7 KB
Name:  015.jpg
Views: 1829
Size:  139.4 KB
Name:  021.jpg
Views: 1678
Size:  6.8 KB
Name:  024.jpg
Views: 1833
Size:  90.2 KB
Name:  022-1.jpg
Views: 1836
Size:  236.1 KB

Last edited by dariopop; 01-29-2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: spelling correction
The following users liked this post:
Sam Handwich (11-06-2015)
Old 01-29-2009, 09:00 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Sure looks good to me, pictures don't due paint jobs very well,
But I will agree treat each paint shop as tho they do things different, better or worse.
Nice looking Car ! 69VETT
Old 01-29-2009, 10:59 PM
79vetter
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Forgive my eyeballs but is that color Brown?
Looks terrific - as long as the warranties you mention are real then I can't argue with the finished product you got from Maaco.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:07 AM
dariopop
Racer

79 vetter
Yes its brown a color called " EBONY CHESTNUT " about two shades darker than original. 32 years and still lovin it! Also its an over 300,000 mile driver with no engine work done and blows no smoke, all I have ever done to the engine is install valve seals. Here is the list of items Iv'e done to the car to date .
1) Completely Media blasted body
2) Panal seams re-fiberglassed
3) Total paint job
4) New Clutch
5) SS Calipers and New brake lines ( PITA)
6) New seat Covers ( seat frames re-welded with support gussets )
7) All new weatherstripping , including T-tops
8) All new lights and chrome, ( including door handles )
9) New Front wheel bearings
10) Speeddirects nylon clutch linkage
11) Replaced #4 body mount brackets REAL ( PITA )
12) Installed a removable rear window kit ( around $500.00 )
13) New radiator and its support frame.
14) HookerHeaders Supper Comp Chrome Side Exhaust with STS Baffles

Name:  003.jpg
Views: 1751
Size:  131.1 KB

Last edited by dariopop; 01-30-2009 at 12:14 AM. Reason: added info
Old 01-30-2009, 08:12 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

Looks great. Even better to see a Vette that gets driven. And maintained. You are doing an awsome job of both. I put over 200k on my 75 before I sold it. Will probably do the same with my current C4.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:16 AM
79vetter
Drifting

Nice to see a fellow Brown car. Mine is stripped to bare fiberglass now but will be its original "Dark Brown Metallic" with "doeskin " interior - same as yours. I always say that Brown is an underrated color - nice to see something different than the reds,yellows and black.

Maybe the forum should have a recommended "Maaco" list of shops nationwide. If you have a good experience like you then that location goes on the list.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:17 PM
CorvettePainter
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1499 is great rate on labor no doubt.

But your 400 material bill will come back to bite you in the ***. You need about a gallon + a pint of clear to get three good coats of clear and jams.

PPG2021 is 225 a gallon plus hardner and reducer

So if an inferior clear was used, time will tell. I'll be the first to say it wont last 2 years but I hope I'm wrong.

Now Maco has some of THE BEST sprayers in the buz, hell they do it all day. So if you want to get a deal on labor then bring yoru own material, but you better watch them and make sure they use what you bring.

The quality of the works looks great from the pics, but no way they used quality material on the car. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.... you would not buy your wife a fake diamond just because it looks good.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:48 PM
dariopop
Racer

79vetter,
My last two Vettes 62 & 67 were red , and yes I get quite a few thumbs up on the color and condition of the car. I actually love the color combination of my car , I also agree about recommended locations on the forum.

CorvettePainter
You being in the business I understand your doubt, let me explain the cost again maybe it wasn't clear enough in my post.
I paid $1,499.00 for their best paint job, no labor involved except painting, I had everything already done. The other $400,00 was extra like extra prep for the door jams amd epoxy primer. I know the paint was a good quality because it's was Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Not PPG ,but also not an off the wall brand either. Maybe a few hundred dollors less in cost than PPG if you were to purchase it yourself. I have no doubt in the quality of the paint they used. Sherwin Williams has many levels of paint quality in their paint systems Ultra 7000 is their top quality paint authorized by GM for repairs, lower levels of Sherwin Williams paint are not ,as is with any paint system,I hope anybody that says that PPG is the best realizes that they also have a paint system with levels that are not even something I would want to spray my yard tractor. So someone that states that, the shop that is painting my car " uses nothing but PPG " should look a little bit deeper into the subject of paint system levels.
I was at the shop the day they painted it because they gave me a call that morning and told me that there were a few area that they would like me to check out before they applied the final paint.
It seem that a few fish eye like spots came through the primer.and they did not want to procede at that piont. They put the car in an empty area and asked me if I wanted to take care of those areas and to take as long as I wanted . I reblocked the car and fixed the areas taht needed to be corrected and I spent about 6 hours in their shop.
I think that was more than nice of them.
They re-primed it and went on from there.
You can see the end results, no orange peel or runs, a few minor dust flakes are all that I could find,it looks so good that many are surprised that I even want to color sand it.
Again I want to make it clear that this is a shop that I just went to one day as an average costumer , didn't even know them . But if you are going to have a car painted , no matter where it's going to be done you should be able to recognize from the work that's in the shop if it's good or bad ,at least do that much homework. I happen to have been in the business and I can recognize quaility from junk.
I am spending my time on this issue not because I own a franchise or have stocks in the place, I am doing it because it burns my *** when someone arbitralilly poo poos a place because it may take money out of their pocket.
If a place is good they deserve to be recognized, not just thrown into a big " MACCO " junk bucket.
My word of advice for anybody having a car painted , high cost does not ensure or guarantee quality, if you want to save a few bucks do your homework and check a few shops. Just keep in mind that the guy that is painting your car in a shop that is charging $8,000.00 to paint your car is probably only getting $12.00 an hour pay and he could possibly have learnded to lay paint at a Macco shop .

Last edited by dariopop; 01-30-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:18 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

"Dariopop", I think your car looks very good, and I agree with what you say about no two Maaco shops being the same. I believe that you did indeed get a quality job, because YOU did all the "bull work" for them.

Anybody who has ever PROPERLY prepped and painted a car, knows that shooting the color is the easy and fun part. It's the prep that both kills you, as well as determines the outcome.

I has a "winter beater" Chevelle a long time ago, and it had a Maaco paint job on it. The car originally was my buddy's wife's car, and it had incurred some scuffs and scapes along the way, and he wanted to give it a "quickie" paint job, so it would look good for another couple of years. He went for Maaco's "best" respray, and when finished, it did look quite good. After another couple of years, though, it was becoming a rust bucket along the lower portions of the car, so she wanted something newer.

It still ran pretty well, so I bought for winter duty. Just for grins, however, I got out the power buffer, and went at it...It (what was left of it) shined right up like you wouldn't believe.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:58 PM
PMARTINEZ92126
Racer

Default Looks good

Im painting my car myself and IMHO the largest cost is the labor to remove all the parts and have it properly sanded. The spraying is easy when you have a pro doing it. It looks really good!!!! I hope to have something that looks that good when im done with mine!
Old 02-25-2009, 03:11 PM
tiaccordsh
Heel & Toe

Why would they advertise a 5 year warranty on the job performed if the paint is warranted for life?
Old 02-25-2009, 04:35 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dariopop
79vetter,

CorvettePainter
Just keep in mind that the guy that is painting your car in a shop that is charging $8,000.00 to paint your car is probably only getting $12.00 an hour pay and he could possibly have learnded to lay paint at a Macco shop .

I am not so sure about that one.

My lowest paid employee at our shop gets $30 per hour.

Reputable restoration shops that build high quality cars hire employees that have extensive experience in Restoration and paint (at least that is what we do.)

Those employees dont work for peanuts, and our customers know that only experienced restorers work on their cars.

I completely understand the whole Maaco thing, and have respect for what they do and the level they do it at per the cost of the job, but to assume that when someone is paying for a high quality restoration the employees are getting paid Mc Donalds wages, is not correct.

http://www.2ndgenrestorations.com
Old 02-25-2009, 05:45 PM
dariopop
Racer

tiaccordsh, I stated that " if " the painter at Macco went through the Sherwin Williams certification program than the paint job is warranted
for life.
Road race Vette
Ok I'm off a few bucks, the point I was making was there is no way that a paint job should cost $8,000 to $12,000 just because its a Corvette and those are the issues that I ran into when I was looking at the so called High quality shops and believe me in my area they all consider themselves High end until you have a problem in a year or so and I have a few freinds that can back that one up from having to go to small claims court.
If your talking about a show car that's another story.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:06 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

dariopop , i find your post offensive and uncalled for. i hate to bust your bubble but i charge the same to paint any car . i get damn tired of guys like you saying i'm overpaid or overcharge because it's a vette. when you've invested 40 years and a ton of money into a building and equipment your opinion would be worth listening to. you know absolutely nothing about the restoration business or what it takes to please customers and stand behind work. this is the kind of thread that runs professional's off . i don't get paid to come here, i don't need any work , i just try to help guys that are stumped . sometimes i wonder why .
Old 02-25-2009, 06:15 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dariopop
tiaccordsh, I stated that " if " the painter at Macco went through the Sherwin Williams certification program than the paint job is warranted
for life.
Road race Vette
Ok I'm off a few bucks, the point I was making was there is no way that a paint job should cost $8,000 to $12,000 just because its a Corvette and those are the issues that I ran into when I was looking at the so called High quality shops and believe me in my area they all consider themselves High end until you have a problem in a year or so and I have a few freinds that can back that one up from having to go to small claims court.
If your talking about a show car that's another story.

In any reputable shop the cost of a paint job (and any related bodywork) will be determined by the amount of work required to get any particular car to a certan level of quality.

It should never have anything to do with the brand of car.

What I am trying to say is that if a four door 75 malibu needed $10k worth of work to be at a certain level that the owner wanted, it is what it is.

The car may be "worthless " by collector standards , but the work required would still be the same.

Any shop that charges by "branding " a car or an owner should be out of business. It is ludicrous.

And yes, issues can occur in any shop, high cost or not. It is how the shop handles those issues that seperates good shops from bad.

That is why full documentation in photos of all work and procedures is essential to protect customer as well as the shop.

No one should bring their car to a shop that doesnt fully document all work in pics!!!

Sorry to hear you had some bad experiences by people who obviously shouldnt be in this business, and glad you got the results you wanted from a good shop.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:59 AM
dariopop
Racer

Porchdog,
GUYS LIKE YOU???
Sorry you find my post offensive by not supporting " professional " painters like yourself. You did not burst my bubble by the way. By checking around and getting the best paint job for the price , I saved $7,000-$8,000 which I was able to put into my car for other items like a new interior.
My post did not slander any professional.
Again , sorry if my post offended you by letting the average " JOE " that might not have thousands give to " professionals like yourself " and that there are other places in town that can give just as good of a paint job and save a little money.
If ( as you said ) my post runs professionals off , well I think the good ones will stay.
As for the quote " you know absolutely nothing about the restoration business " Well I used to be a bodyman in the old days, still have all of my spray guns too , until I went back to college. So don't assume I don't know what I am talking about.
I am done answering this post , for the life of me I can't imagine what I said in my last post to get you all fired up! You sound like I reached into your pocket and took money out of it.
I hope my post helped some guy that doesn't have a lot of money know that there are alternatives to the $ 12,000 paint job.

Last edited by dariopop; 02-26-2009 at 01:08 AM.
shootnstarz (04-12-2016)
Old 02-26-2009, 12:50 PM
dariopop
Racer

JOSHWILSON3:
The Primer was a 2k that was applied and from what I was told the sealer is applied just in case something tries to bleed through from whatwever you had on before. It came as a package price so I got it.
The shop actually let me sand down the 2k primer before they added another coat so I could check for any imperfections. I don't beleive you can do that with a sealer.
Your question about " What do you need to look at when you check out a Maaco shop " My answer is their finished end product as with any paint shop and recomendations.
The shop that I used had nothing but the top of the line paint product in their paint mixing area from Sherwin Willians which was their Ultra 7000, so there was no chance of them giving me a lower cost paint. All brands have differant levels of paint in their systems from good to best ,and the best always more cost.

Get notified of new replies

To Macco Paint Job

Old 02-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by porchdog
dariopop , i find your post offensive and uncalled for. i hate to bust your bubble but i charge the same to paint any car . i get damn tired of guys like you saying i'm overpaid or overcharge because it's a vette. when you've invested 40 years and a ton of money into a building and equipment your opinion would be worth listening to. you know absolutely nothing about the restoration business or what it takes to please customers and stand behind work. this is the kind of thread that runs professional's off . i don't get paid to come here, i don't need any work , i just try to help guys that are stumped . sometimes i wonder why .
Well I have read several of your past posts and you do trash Macco, and lump those who look for alternatives to the 12k paint jobs. I think you are just upset that he did not have to spend a arm and a leg to get good results. I'm happy for him.
Sam Handwich (11-06-2015)
Old 02-28-2009, 01:08 AM
woodlandcorvette
Instructor

I think the car looks great and you did a great job on the prep work. A friend of mine some years ago had his car painted by maco and it ran like 500 dollars. They just ran over it with scotch brite pad and painted and cleared it. Look really nice for like 2 years about the time the warranty ran out. The it faded very fast and 2 years later look really bad. That might be the differance from what you got compared to the cheap scatch and shoot you see advertised. I think time will tell but from the looks of things it will last a long time.

Best regards
Old 02-28-2009, 10:31 AM
79vetter
Drifting

Originally Posted by porchdog
P-Dog,
I have not doubt that you are a great painter and know what you are doing. Some people cannot afford you though and are looking for an alternative to your price- how can you fault someone for ways to save money these days? There are people that get excellent results in their own garages. Why should we have to pay for your building? You talk as if you went to (invested in) medical school and bought the X-Ray machines etc.
Don't get offended over threads like these - we need you.

Quick Reply: Macco Paint Job