Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Paint problem [Pic]

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 05:35 PM
78VetteChic
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint problem [Pic]

(I'm not intentionally trying to crosspost. I have this in the C3 Tech forum but didn't realize there was a Paint forum until someone suggested I post the problem where the paint pros hang out.)

See photo below for paint problem.

The car was painted around 1993 by a shop in a state where I no longer reside. The bubble showed up some years later, exactly when I don't remember. When we first noticed the bubble was small but then over the years slowly grew (spread) to its current size.

What would you suggest is the best way to repair this in the paint? Does the whole fender need to be painted as to improve the blend or can the general area about the bubble be done?

Silver metallic paint.

Optionally, instead of fixing it ourselves, if I took it to a paint shop what do you feel would be a fair priced estimate for above average work?

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2009, 08:04 PM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Simply put, poor adhesion. Since it appears to be confined to a small area it is probably caused by some contamination that was left behind during prep or painting. By peeling the bubble off you can determine which layer of paint or if the substrate was the culprit. Sanding and feathering it will determine how far the adhesion problem extends beyond the bubble. If the problem is confined to just the bubble area, and because it's silver, I would first try a spot repair, but it's not that much more work to paint the upper surround, hood, and headlight doors to get a good match. Silver is the hardest to match because it has very little color pigment, most of the color comes from the metallic flakes and matching a spot repair depends on how the new flakes lay compared to the old flakes.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:26 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I would also bet there is Featherfill under there.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:42 PM
78VetteChic
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wombvette -- What's Featherfill?

ahoover -- I think we may try the spot repair first. Thanks again for the explanation.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint problem [Pic]

Quick Reply: Paint problem [Pic]