Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Panel Bonding adhesive/filler

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Emeightch
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Panel Bonding adhesive/filler

I have a 77 and am looking to bond the SMC(?) inner wheel liners to the inside of the new fiberglass (Vanacor) 1-pc Front clip. Also, eventually I'll need to bond the clip to the body itself.

Any thoughts on a good bonding adhesive? I will probably need something like a qt/gallon of bondo to build up and take-up all the gaps between the panels. They do not "net-out" to good along the flanges...
Old 08-29-2009, 06:36 PM
0grandmastercorvette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sent you a PM
"DUB"
Old 09-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Orphan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=179

This stuff is great. A little pricey, but well worth it. It uses a standard caulking gun to dispense it and comes with a couple of mixing tips. Work fast though, it starts to cure in 5 minutes. Full cure in 3 hours.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:59 AM
0grandmastercorvette
Former Vendor

Remember that you are dealing with STRUCTURAL. And the product needs to be able to provide you with the adhesion/strength for that...along with enough work time to allow you to get parts fitted.
"DUB"
Old 01-26-2010, 01:20 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Medium Urethane Adhesive
MAXIM™ Medium Urethane Adhesive is a urethane repair material that provides incredible strength and sandability. Best used when a longer open time is required to complete the repair. This material is used for non-structural repairs on all plastics, fiberglass, and SMC.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:32 PM
orourke
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by kaiserbud
Medium Urethane Adhesive
MAXIM™ Medium Urethane Adhesive is a urethane repair material that provides incredible strength and sandability. Best used when a longer open time is required to complete the repair. This material is used for non-structural repairs on all plastics, fiberglass, and SMC.
Evercoat "MAXIM"

Marty.

Correction-I miss read your reply.

Last edited by orourke; 01-26-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:58 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

np Marty - I just was looking at this stuff and see it is for NON-STRUCTURAL... which raised an eyebrow.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:20 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

We used only Marine-Tex on my '71. Worked great. From the tech sheet (bolding mine):

"Marine-Tex is a heavy-duty structural epoxy, used to repair aluminum, fiberglass and wooden boats, reinstall loose or stripped fasteners, permanently bond dissimilar metals without galvanic corrosion, and fill gouges in wood, metal and fiberglass, making repaired areas stronger than before."
Old 01-26-2010, 10:16 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

I went to the paint store today and got 3M8115 rather than Lord F...?? (I forgot) ... I am very comfortable with 3M, but also the 3M was black and the Lord Fusor??? was beige-ish.

..........ANNNND - the paint store loaned me one of those expensive guns to apply it. But just fyi - the gun works for the Lord stuff too.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:31 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
We used only Marine-Tex on my '71. Worked great. From the tech sheet (bolding mine):

"Marine-Tex is a heavy-duty structural epoxy, used to repair aluminum, fiberglass and wooden boats, reinstall loose or stripped fasteners, permanently bond dissimilar metals without galvanic corrosion, and fill gouges in wood, metal and fiberglass, making repaired areas stronger than before."
This sh*t is the best hands down!!!!!!!!! And it aint cheap...about 70 bucks a quart. But its money well spent in my opinion - never cheap out on materials!
Old 01-27-2010, 08:00 AM
Sundevil64
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not heard of the "Marine-tex", but wish I had. The 3M 8115 is very strong stuff and will bond smc panels to metal if need be. It's not expensive, but the gun sure is. Go with the "Marine-tex" if you can, because you'll pay more than that for just the applicator gun with the 3M stuff.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:15 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

And as a bonus, when you open the marine-tex hardener can on warm, humid, day smoke pours out. Tres cool.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:54 AM
ragtopman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by kaiserbud
I went to the paint store today and got 3M8115 rather than Lord F...??
Good stuff.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:38 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 544 Likes on 314 Posts

In doing some panel replacement on my C2, my vote goes to Lord Fusor 127 EZ.

I had seen some good things mentioned in the CF C2 forum about using Eckler's bonding adhesive so that's what I went with. With things ready to go a bonding strip and fender panel were ground down, the Eckler's bonding adhesive was mixed and applied, clamps to hold the works together, etc. .. .. Now the 'acid test'. . . For whatever reason upon doing a finger 'spread' test of sorts I was able to separate the bonding strip away from the panel it was adhered to. Thinking maybe this was a fluke - maybe not enough catalyst, etc., I ground off the cured adhesive on the bonding strip and panel and started over. Same result. .. ! .. For whatever reason this happened on a second go-round, I don't know. After grinding down the panel to remove bonding adhesive a second time it was now too thin. More glass and resin had to be added to beef it back up.

After checking out forum how-to's and a restoration site I decided to go with the Fusor 127 EZ. This stuff really HOLDS! . . I have total confidence in using it. It can also be used on SMC panels. The 127 EZ is a two-part system that has a work time of roughly 60 minutes - plenty of time to get parts to be bonded 'just so'. Much faster setting adhesive is also available. The Eckler's bonding adhesive was a little too fast for my liking (10-15 minutes). That it didn't hold too good, at least in my experience, didn't bode well.

A special dual push rod gun (similar to a caulking gun) is used to apply the Fusor material. A bit more expense, but.................the Fusor adhesive works really good. Two mixing tubes come with the Fusor adhesive.

Last edited by mrg; 04-24-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:08 PM
69ragvette
Racer

Default glue

I have been using 3m 8115 on my car then I was at a friends body shop and he 3m 9216 is for smc & fiberglass?

Get notified of new replies

To Panel Bonding adhesive/filler

Quick Reply: Panel Bonding adhesive/filler