Need Advice on Fixing Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 12:52 PM
tanko
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice on Fixing Scratch

While waxing my 10-week old baby this weekend I discovered an almost invisible 4-inch scratch on the fender. It is very narrow, like the edge of a razor blade. Unfortunately, my fingernail catches on it for much of the length of the scratch, so it is not shallow.

As I say, it is almost invisible. My guess is that it happened during manufacture, during delivery, or at the dealer and was hidden until now by some prep product.

What is your advice on removing or hiding it?

My first thought was Meguiars M105, or M205 if necessary to remove the scratch. But the depth of the scratch makes me wonder if they might do more harm than good (remove clear coat but not the scratch).

So I might be better off just trying to hide the scratch. Would something like Meguiars Speed Glaze be a good choice?
Old 12-22-2009, 08:55 PM
smartdoggystl
Instructor

i noticed a similiar scratch on my 4 week old black baby. I used a product i bought a couple of years ago called "3m finesse it" for working out minor blemishes on clear coat paint. you should be able to get it at any auto parts store.. I did not use a buffer or machine to buff it out. I took a foam sponge provided with a can of kit car wax i bought. I made sure the foam pad was plenty wet and lightly rubbed it in. I would say i got the scratch about 95% out. the only way i can see it is of i shine a drop light on it at a certain angle.

Then i waxed the spot with zymol.

Do not use any product if when you rub it between your fingers you feel any grit or abrasive . This is not good for these base coat clear coat paint jobs.

I use the kit paste car wax on my chevy 10 yr old chevy truck. its fast and easy to use on the silver paint on my truck. and to tell the truth, i tried Kit on my black 2009 zo6 and it actually did a very good job. I will probably catch some flack from the forum for admitting this.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:38 PM
tanko
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks very much for all the ideas and advice!

Get notified of new replies

To Need Advice on Fixing Scratch

Quick Reply: Need Advice on Fixing Scratch