Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Which Harbor Freight HVLP paint gun for SPI Epoxy Primer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 06:07 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Which Harbor Freight HVLP paint gun for SPI Epoxy Primer?

Before anyone gets bent out of shape lol. This gun will only be used for Primer and maybe some small parts for basic black such as the frame and odds and ends.

Thank You for any help.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:31 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

only thing in harbor freight worth carrying out the front door is the cash register.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:06 AM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't have the model number handy at present but my primer gun was purchased from HF for $25.99 recently. I would not spray a complete job with it unless I was forced to, but it lays epoxy down just fine. It is the gun which is anodized dark pink if that helps you shop.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:44 AM
porchdog
Drifting

shake, use your iwata .
Old 03-03-2010, 09:34 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

I bought my first spray guns back in 1974... a Sharpe professional siphon and a Binks model 7 clone for primer. I still own the Sharpe which has never sprayed anything but topcoats, I have owned at least 3 "primer guns" in that time. I can understand fully owning a POS for rough use and preserving the "good" gun. I don't paint for a living anymore... I work in parts now, but I still own a "primer gun" so I don't wear out my primary topcoat weapon.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:37 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by porchdog
only thing in harbor freight worth carrying out the front door is the cash register.
My local HF sells name brand stuff as well as items made in China. Why would you recommend using a top of the line gun to spray primer when a cheap azz gun does just as well? I find it hard to believe ANYONE would use a premium gun for primer. I use a DeVilbiss Finishline for primer and sealer and save my good guns for base & clear.

Last edited by 1snake; 03-03-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:02 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Carefull, Snake... the Devilbiss IS my finish gun at present!!! I do maybe one or two overalls a year for friends and family, a couple of bikes perhaps. I don't need an Iwata or Sata to turn out decent jobs at a trickle. They might make it easier, but I'm just a broke azz parts pusher by trade... not even a proper booth to work in anymore. BUT... my stuff looks NICE because I care, and take my time on all aspects of the job.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:37 AM
porchdog
Drifting

i use my iwata lph400 to shoot everything. i spray epoxy just like i spray clear. my guns are as clean today as they were when i bought them . most of these guys are novice painters with little to no gun control. using a cheap pos gun is not going to help them get any. my advice has always been spend the money you are saving on a decent gun and use it for everything. by the time you are ready to shoot clear you will have some control over the gun. plus a good gun you can sell if you choose and recoup most of your money.

snake, i am a professional painter. have been since 72 . in looking back at your post you seem to just want to start one pissing match after another. this childish habit of quoting others is rude and argumentative . watching you argue with the man who manufactures spi was all i needed to see or hear from you. barry kives is well respected in the high end world of restoration and has forgotten more than most will ever learn. thanks to your childish behavior i doubt he will return and that is everyone's loss. he has much to offer and gives his time and advice freely.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:28 AM
killer454
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought a harbor freight gun to do mine on primer and all that happened was after about 5 cups of primer started leaking through the seal at the triger.primer would just run down the handle of the gun from the cup.

after that went and bought a 200 gun

bought their inline board sander to after useing it about 3 hours it locked up.i took it apart and found they used alluminum rivits in it and one broke and fell out at one of the pistons.i fixed it by going to the hardware store and buying small bolts and nuts to replace all the rivits.
works really good now.

i bought their da to fell off my work bench and cracked around the top now all it is good for is to blow the sweet off your forehead throught that long crack in the side of it.bought a new one through napa

just my expeiriance with harbor freight
Old 03-04-2010, 05:52 PM
M_T_0
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

they make reallllllly nice hammers
Old 03-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

The Iwata LPH400 with a 1.4 lays down SPI epoxy like glass, saves a ton of time on sanding. The only thing I use that POS harbor freight gun for is shooting POR15 then I can throw it away.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:02 PM
redvtt
Team Owner

Location: All great change begins at the dinner table Ronald Reagan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use my HF gun for primer, now. I did use it for solid color basecoat, worked fine. The only real problem is no kits to rebuild it.
I don't paint everyday professionally, so it doesn't get that much use. I also have a Sata I use for touchup & clear, it works great.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:00 PM
maddoggyusa
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THE P-DOG IS BACK!!!!

I always wondered if he'd miss us too much to stay away.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:03 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

I do not think it is the Miss part but to help others from doing bad things to there car.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:13 PM
AWilson
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Things are getting exciting!

Originally Posted by Scott Marzahl
The Iwata LPH400 with a 1.4 lays down SPI epoxy like glass, saves a ton of time on sanding. The only thing I use that POS harbor freight gun for is shooting POR15 then I can throw it away.
Scott,

I'm finally ready to paint and just ordered a Iwata LPH400 with a 1.4, both silver and orange caps. I plan to use SPI epoxy for sealing and blocking, PPG 68 Lemans Blue base, then SPI clear.
Things are getting exciting!
Old 03-28-2010, 03:47 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Good to hear A Wilson Keep up the work and please by all means keep us posted.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Alright Al, sounds like you are getting towards the end of your project.

Scott
Old 04-06-2010, 04:53 PM
lushdrunk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can buy a sharpe razor primer gun from northern tool with a 1.7 tip for $179.99 It's a damn good gun for thick primers.

Get notified of new replies

To Which Harbor Freight HVLP paint gun for SPI Epoxy Primer?

Quick Reply: Which Harbor Freight HVLP paint gun for SPI Epoxy Primer?