Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Epoxy Primer as a Sealer & Primer for Lacquer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 12:00 AM
92GTA
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Epoxy Primer as a Sealer & Primer for Lacquer?

I have a 1956 Vette that has 30yr old thick red lacquer over the original black. I'm going to use Captain Lee's Spra-Strip to get back down to the original fiber glass.

I then want to use an epoxy primer to seal the original fiberglass. Then I want to spray a black primer on the body using a gray primer for the coves. I then am planning on driving the car for awhile before actually prepping for paint and painting with an original lacquer style paint.

It could be months or years that I drive the car around in primer before painting although it will NEVER be in rain or any bad weather.

I'm looking for advice on which epoxy primer to use and which black/gray primer to coat it with? Is there a specific brand or type I should use if I wish to use a lacquer paint later on or should I not worry since I am going to prep and block etc before painting?

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2010, 10:50 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

WOW!

I am not so much worried about you driving it in bad weather or rain...but just driving it for a year or so. It is all of the other contaminents that will get on the body when you are driving it...that may come back and haunt you later.

IF this were my car....and I was wanting to drive it for a year or so before painting it ( which I would NEVER do). I would have to gelcoat the car well....making sure I applied enough product to make it an effective coating. Then when I was ready to paint it...prep that ...and then start appling primers and what not to get it where it would be ready to paint.

I can not recommend any epoxy primers and or other primers. They all in one shape form or anothher...when allowed to get hot...and a contaniment gets on it/them...COULD penetrate the primer and cause for much added work in making sure that future layers of product applied to them will actually bond properly.

I wish you the best and maybe someone else here will jump in and recommend you something that won't come back and bite you in the future. Other than that...I FEEL that gelcoating it was if needed for your situation. I truely would be hard pressed that if you find a product ( that someone recommends) and you CALL the tech line of that product. AND tell them what your plans are. ASk them if they would still warrany their product. You may be shocked in what you find out.

"DUB"
Old 06-20-2010, 10:57 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Would putting a coat or two of a satin black single stage on top of the primer help? It should be removed before applying the "real" paint, but maybe that will prevent contaminates?
Old 06-20-2010, 11:40 AM
jbutta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

57, I would highly recommend the SPI epoxy primer. and as the previous poster mentioned, i would put a coat, or 2 of satin black on top of the epoxy. then use that as a guide coat before your final paint. I left my car exposed for months with the SPI epoxy and had no problem. as long as you get some satin black on it within the allowed window of time, you won't need to sand the epoxy before applying it.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:01 PM
92GTA
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Satin black, check! Thanks guys!
Old 06-20-2010, 04:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
Would putting a coat or two of a satin black single stage on top of the primer help? It should be removed before applying the "real" paint, but maybe that will prevent contaminates?
this would work...BUT he asked about primers...and I figured that he would not want to invest in paint and then have to remove it for "real" paint...as you put it. Seems like doubling the work. But it appears that he might just do that. Which I am glad versus driving it with primer on it. Epoxy or any other type.

"DUB"

Get notified of new replies

To Epoxy Primer as a Sealer & Primer for Lacquer?

Quick Reply: Epoxy Primer as a Sealer & Primer for Lacquer?