Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

POST New Paint - Clear coat ?

Old 10-19-2010, 08:40 AM
79vetter
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default POST New Paint - Clear coat ?

So my question is about clear coats. I got my car back from paint recently and the clear coat is hazy in places , orange peel in others and looks to be thin in other spots. My painter was a dishonest type of guy so even though I asked him to use Southern Polyurenthanes Epoxy Primer and Univ. clear I can't say for sure that he did. I wouldn't be surprised if he used the cheapest clear available. It doesn't shine very much either
My question: I was thinking of taking the car to another painter and having him re-clear the car or touch up it - whatever is needed to make it smooth and shiney..
Since I am not sure what products this guy may have used is it ok to put a different brand of clear cloat on top of the existing clear coat?
Old 10-19-2010, 11:11 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

call barry at spi and see if he purchased any product direct or barry can hook you up with the jobber in the area to see if he bought the products.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:00 PM
79vetter
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks - but what if I never know. Can I add brand X over brand Y?
Old 10-19-2010, 05:22 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by porchdog
call barry at spi and see if he purchased any product direct or barry can hook you up with the jobber in the area to see if he bought the products.
Nice to see you back!
Old 10-19-2010, 05:51 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

yes you can reclear.
just answering an spi question dave. if i stay the morons will chim in again. no time for kid games .
Old 10-20-2010, 08:33 AM
ktchir
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave Tracy
Nice to see you back!

Always appreciate your advice.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:22 AM
Jay Axson
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before you repaint, think rebuff. The orange peal will mostly buff out. The cloudy areas are most likely dye back. This is normal. What happens is after it is buffed and polished to a nice shine the paint continues to cure. I guess this streches the surface tension apart causing the milkyness. Those spots need to be rebuffed and polished and they will look good again. Once the paint is fully cured the problem won't return.

Make sure an experianced person does the buffing. It is real easy to cut all the way through the paint exposing the primer/sealer.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:14 PM
demonx
Racer

Originally Posted by 79vetter
So my question is about clear coats. I got my car back from paint recently and the clear coat is hazy in places , orange peel in others and looks to be thin in other spots. ?
Sounds more like the painter than the paint.

You should post pictures that show these areas so we can see exactly whats going on. My guess is that the clear has simply not been cut and polished very well. If so a very light sand of the areas with 2000 grit then a good polish could be a simply fix.

Problem is if he's already sanded most of the clear back you might rub through it.

Originally Posted by Jay Axson
Make sure an experianced person does the buffing. It is real easy to cut all the way through the paint exposing the primer/sealer.
Yeah - like I did on my own car after respraying the rear! It only takes a split second if you're not careful and there goes an edge.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:04 AM
CrusinZ06
Racer

Take it to an experienced detailer, do a sample wet sand and polish after your paint is cured, pic a hazed or fogged spot and see if a wet sand and polish cures your problem first. If so just get the car detailed, if not you will need to get it re-cleared.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:18 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 79vetter
thanks - but what if I never know. Can I add brand X over brand Y?
To answer this question...not knowing what steps you have taken and if the problem has been corrected.

YES ...you can apply brand X over brand Y...just as long as the first brand has been given sufficient time to cure. Not knowing what that brand was. I would give it a week ( more than enough time for re-coating in many paint systems) in good normal temperatures (70+ degrees)....and the clear can also be prepped sanded for the next clear coating to better allow it to "breathe" so-to-speak....which also aids in curing.

AND ...it would be wise for the next painter to shoot a small area or panel on the car to make sure that NO REACTION takes place. SO that if it reacts badly...it can be repaired somewhat easily....BECAUSE you NEVER KNOW.

"DUB"
Old 11-13-2010, 07:11 PM
Alex/plus
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porchdog
yes you can reclear.
just answering an spi question dave. if i stay the morons will chim in again. no time for kid games .
I always enjoy reading the different threads and posts from the members here on the forum even if someone wants to argue with me, I just smile and move on. It takes two to argue and I refuse to do that....works every time and I still get to enjoy all the stuff we Vette owners can come up with in this place.

Get notified of new replies

To POST New Paint - Clear coat ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: POST New Paint - Clear coat ?