Fiberglass Glue ?? Fiberglass Repair / Patch

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 07:34 PM
c66vet
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Fiberglass Glue ?? Fiberglass Repair / Patch

I have a break / indentation (not all the way through) under the jack compartment caused by a U-Joint breaking on the half shaft. The damage area is 2 X 2 inches. I was told at the shop, they can fill this area with fiberglass glue. Then sand and paint. I never heard of fibergalss glue, also wondering if this glue will get hard, stay in place, and not show when painted.

Has anyone heard of fiberglass glue? Or is there a better method of repair for filling in holes in the fiberglass on the bottom of the car.

FeatherFill / Bondo
Old 11-22-2010, 09:10 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

I have no idea what "fiberglass glue" would be.

The proper repair is to cut out the compromised section, cut the edges back and then build it back up with fiberglass resin & mat. If you spend some time blocking it the repair will be undetectable.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:27 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

it is called several names , but it does get hard, does stay in place, and will not show when painted, as with everything , prep. is the key to it being a good repair
Old 11-23-2010, 06:30 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by c66vet
I have a break / indentation (not all the way through) under the jack compartment caused by a U-Joint breaking on the half shaft. The damage area is 2 X 2 inches. I was told at the shop, they can fill this area with fiberglass glue. Then sand and paint. I never heard of fibergalss glue, also wondering if this glue will get hard, stay in place, and not show when painted.

Has anyone heard of fiberglass glue? Or is there a better method of repair for filling in holes in the fiberglass on the bottom of the car.

FeatherFill / Bondo
They may be using the term "glue" as the new age types of adhesive that are in a tube and intermix with the hardener when it is dispensed.

Depending on how bad the damage is. The repair might be pretty straight forward. This area is more than likely able to be seen from your jack storage compartment. And if the integrity if the damaged area is not that bad...the use of these two-part epoxies will work...as long as it is prepped correctly for good adhesion. BUT without photo's...I truly can not say what it would take.

"DUB"

Get notified of new replies

To Fiberglass Glue ?? Fiberglass Repair / Patch

Quick Reply: Fiberglass Glue ?? Fiberglass Repair / Patch