Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

New Paint prep

Old 06-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Briz600
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Paint prep

Hi,

I have been browsing this forum for years but this is my first post.

Last year I bought my first 87 corvette, I got it for cheap because it needed paint, and unfortunately lack of knowledge I shot it with lacquer primer before sending to paint shop. A year later the paint started falling off.

So here I am ready to do it again. I spent the last few weekends sanding all that paint and lacquer primer off. I'm almost done but I really need some heavy advice on how get it ready for paint shop.

First where I have found small cracks in the the body I have filled with Evercoat SMC filler. I dont know if this was ok to use? Second everything will be sanded with 400 before primer. Finally Im not sure what to prime with. Im guessing put on a coat of epoxy and quick sand and shoot it with 2k urethane primer ? Should it be done differently? also I need to place an order soon what primers are best for this situation? A ppg base and clear will be going over all this.

Thanks for any help.
-Brian
Old 06-10-2011, 09:30 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All the information you need to do your car is contained on just the first page of this section of the board. Read all of the threads on page 1 here and you'll have enough input to make an informed decision what's best for your car, situation and budget. You only need to sit down and read for an hour or so.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Paint prep