Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

paint doesnt look perfect... why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 07:07 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default paint doesnt look perfect... why?

Im clear coat sanding and polishing. That's fine, its the base coat that is un even. The color is speedway metallic blue, you see it on new Toyota trucks all the time.

Im wondering if I didn't put enough, or put too much in places? I don't know if you can make it out in the pics but the unevenness is only visible at very specific angles but it is very apparent when I see it.

This is how I laid the base coat down. I painted 50% overlap first. Then I let it dry for about 3 min and started the panel again. After that I let the panels dry for a little over an hour and did the same thing. A coat, flash dry, and another coat. I tried to go in slightly different patterns to avoid this problem... it almost looks as if the paint was too wet and slid down the panels clumping into lines. But then it happened on flat surfaces too like the hood.

Its kind of irritating because I can't see it in my garage but when its in sunlight bam! There it is. So lame. Its so bad on the doors im going to sand them and start over.

Do I need to sand off the blue base? Or just clear and give it a few more passes? Ill be taking the panels outside after they are done to check. I was afraid of contaminating them before.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:33 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks too wet/close to work surface to me from the photo. The spray pattern hits the surface hard and "spreads" instead of "flowing out". The panels will need scuff sanding after they cure awhile (so the new base does not attack the old base and wrinkle it), then a few coats of base applied more uniformly and probably with more "fan" set into the gun, and the gun held farther from the work. Watch carefully as you apply the paint... you're looking to "apply a shine", but not flood the surface which causes the metallics to slide around instead of settling randomly. Do not apply any clear to anything until you're happy with how the base looks in every kind of light. Getting a uniform reflection from metallic paints is a bit of an artform... too little paint and it looks like sandpaper, too much and you get the uneven look you have now. The only way to get it right is to practice unfortunately... unless you wish to switch to a solid color I would get another quart of base mixed and practice on small items like headlight doors, and flatter items like your hood until you're comfortable laying the paint evenly.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:25 PM
BHRZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a simular thing happen to me spraying my car what it ended up being was the sealer dry sprayed a tad causing (rookie mistake) the metallics to lay like what is demonstrated in your picture. Unfortunately the only fix is a respray of the areas affected. You should be able to blend it okay.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:17 PM
BLK281
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be a couple different things.

Not enough "fan"... with metallics I like to fan the area- kinda of dusting on the color in various directions to make sure the metallic lays out evenly.

What did you final sand your primer with? If its too coarse, the metallic tends to lay in the sanding grooves, which can cause unevenness...

Basecoat is too rough..laid on too heavy..it will show thru the clear.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:13 AM
airbrush1
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

did you tack the panel off between coats? was any masking material laid and taped flat? so many things that can go wrong, especially with metallics

Get notified of new replies

To paint doesnt look perfect... why?

Quick Reply: paint doesnt look perfect... why?