Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Tiny bubbles in new paint

Old 10-08-2011, 04:46 PM
rlgerst@msn.com
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Tiny bubbles in new paint

I just bought a '67 Vette Convertible that was painted before I purchased it. It was a scam. No topcoat, just paint. The paint looks great from a distance, but has tiny bubbles and runs. Also, when I received the car there was no spidering, but now spidering is coming through the paint in the top front part of the front fenders.

How can I repair these tiny bubbles? Can they be sanded out without going into the glass?

How can I repair the spidering coming through the paint?

I already have so much money in the car that I would rather repair the paint instead of a total strip and paint.

Ron
Old 10-08-2011, 05:22 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

In my humble opinion:

From your description I'd say the only way forward is to strip all the paint to get a true picture of what lies underneath. The cheap paint may be there to hide bad bodywork. Last thing you want is to spend more money trying to patch it, just to have the new paint spider & bubble.

Since you say it looks good from a distance, try to live with it until you have the $$$ for a strip.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Keith Carlson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rlgerst@msn.com
I just bought a '67 Vette Convertible that was painted before I purchased it. It was a scam. No topcoat, just paint. The paint looks great from a distance, but has tiny bubbles and runs. Also, when I received the car there was no spidering, but now spidering is coming through the paint in the top front part of the front fenders.

How can I repair these tiny bubbles? Can they be sanded out without going into the glass?

How can I repair the spidering coming through the paint?

I already have so much money in the car that I would rather repair the paint instead of a total strip and paint.

Ron

Ron,

I see your from Monument, CO. and not far from CO. Springs. I have an old friend (Gary Romano) who owns *** Hill BS and has been around for many years and he used to hang with Bob Silvers who was well known Corvette guy for a very long time. Gary is a very knowledgeable guy and straight shooter and if you have some time, you could have him take a look at your car for you. We worked together at Williams Chev. in the early 80's and I lived in the Black Forest for awhile.

Good luck!

Keith
Old 10-08-2011, 07:23 PM
rlgerst@msn.com
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks so much Keith, I will contact Gary on Monday.

I am so disappointed in this '67 Vette. This was a body off restoration and the seller touted that it was a NEW ’67 Vette and I PAID for a completely rebuilt Corvette. I bought it on eBay sight unseen. This guy was a real crook and lied every time that we talked. I have had it at the Corvette Center just south of Colorado Springs for a month fixing the transmission and the driver's door along with a few other things. The driver’s door had a broken inside metal plate that the door hinge attaches to, so the door would not close and could not be adjusted until the plate was reattached. The transmission was “hammered” into place that destroyed the input and output shafts and had to be completely rebuilt to keep the matching numbers. I have over 70 pictures of the restoration, but when the body was off, he only replaced some of the bushings and not all of them and did not restore much. The engine was completely rebuilt (the photos have the correct numbers), but the plugs were old and rusted and the water pump and fuel pump both leaked and I had to replaced them. I just finished a complete brake job. New stainless "O" ring calipers, pads, rotors and a new complete stainless parking brake kit. There is no weather-stripping on the car, but I want to fix the paint, next. Then I will install the weather-stripping and new carpets….

The paint is a real concern and I cannot put $6000 to $12,000 into the paint…… I really hate paying for these repairs “twice” since it was supposed to be already done.

I hope Gary can have a paint fix for me….. Thanks again Ron
Old 10-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Keith Carlson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ron,

I will send you a PM later today with some additional information.

Keith

Get notified of new replies

To Tiny bubbles in new paint

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tiny bubbles in new paint