Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Spraygun's barn find

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Spraygun
Tech Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spraygun's barn find

As a motorhead finding old cars and parts in barns that haven't seen the light of day for decades is one of my favorite things. As a motorhead painter I've always looked for vintage tools and materials. Mostly I find dried up cans of primer and color. Today as luck would have it, I've stumbled upon some quality stuff. While poking though old Ford parts and tools I found cabinets full of unopened product.

Sealed gallons of Nitrocelluloseblack lacquer.

sealed quarts of candies, even discontinued colors like Deep Blue C21
I wasn't able to see all of it today unfortunatly, I'll have to go back next week.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:00 PM
Keith Carlson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few "Classics"!

Get out the old, original cloth baby diapers to do a little "hand rubbin".
Old 10-24-2011, 03:44 PM
Spraygun
Tech Contributor

Back in the day, I watched guys spray DULUX then take a hose and run cold water over it, supposed to help it flow.... I watched a guy take his gun full off DULUX and sit it on the wood stove to heat it up before spraying ( I think thats an OSHA violation now)

I'm bummed, sprayed vette parts yesterday, came out sweeeeet, 3 coats of 8035 HS over blueblack, idiot owner baked at 150 after I told him not to. Runs, solvent pops, etc.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:20 PM
Keith Carlson
Racer

Originally Posted by Spraygun
Back in the day, I watched guys spray DULUX then take a hose and run cold water over it, supposed to help it flow.... I watched a guy take his gun full off DULUX and sit it on the wood stove to heat it up before spraying ( I think thats an OSHA violation now)

I'm bummed, sprayed vette parts yesterday, came out sweeeeet, 3 coats of 8035 HS over blueblack, idiot owner baked at 150 after I told him not to. Runs, solvent pops, etc.

I was never too fond of Dulux so no "funny business" from me but back then, a variety of "chemicals" were often found in the "mix" and once in awhile, even "Panama Red" would show up. "Mr. OSHA" who?

That is a bummer on your Vette parts!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Spraygun
Tech Contributor

Yea I kinda remember certain botanical incinerating techniques, to test for proper air flow.
What a job for a stoner, you have a room that no one will come into, big fan to evacuate smoke, you get to wear a white suit and a mask and deal with colors. If it had provisions for a bowl of Capt. Crunch and a screen with Ren and Stimpy they would never leave.

Yea the vette parts suck, this is another episode in a continuing saga. I'm ready to pull the car and leave..
I put a 1.2 in my Iwata, over reducing the base for black I sprayed doors inside and out, hood and jamb, conv. cover with 14 oz. of base out of the can. Parts were sealed in black but there wear sand throughs down to light gray primer. I'm thinking i might be able to do the whole car in a quart. Ain't that some ****.
It worked so good on the base I reduced clear 5%, tightened up the fan a couple inches and sprayed the clear. It took a little getting used to but the finished product was sweet ( for about 20 minutes...)

I think I'll paint my lawn mover Duco jet black with deep blue candy stripes now.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:45 AM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

I have some more choices

Old 10-26-2011, 08:13 AM
Spraygun
Tech Contributor

That's COOL But do you have any qts. of "Crackle"?

I'll go over and take a pic to post, I can't find any mention of it anywhere.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:26 AM
Keith Carlson
Racer

Originally Posted by Spraygun
Yea I kinda remember certain botanical incinerating techniques, to test for proper air flow.
What a job for a stoner, you have a room that no one will come into, big fan to evacuate smoke, you get to wear a white suit and a mask and deal with colors. If it had provisions for a bowl of Capt. Crunch and a screen with Ren and Stimpy they would never leave.

"Room" (what spraybooth?) is a good way to describe a lot of those "primitive" places "stoners" used to ply their painting trade!

"Metalflake" Corp. with some of the original "metalflake" components coming out the old "glitter factory" in Bernardsville, NJ. on Rte 202. All sizes, shapes and colors to add to your clear. Knew a few "stoners" (in '69) who worked there sifting and cutting all your "metalflake" needs.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Spraygun
Tech Contributor

Kieth, with out a doubt you know more about pearl and flake history than anyone I've ever met, thats cool. It's odd, I enjoy history, cars, tools, machinery, reptiles, computers, etc. but never thought twice about metalflake. I loved the old boats that had high density huge flake finishes. I owned a gun that had a " flake stirrer" in the cup a long time ago but never used it. I remember in the early 90's when PPG came out with DBC base, I had to shoot a VW silver that wasn't offered in DBU. Rep came out and said that the new DBC had football shaped flakes and would work on the newer cars.
Silvers can be a pain sometimes no matter who's paint you use. Other painter at work is doing a new BMW, he shot fender, blend in door. The back half of the door doesn't match the quarter now, I saw it as it came out of the booth and the blend was in the first third of the door. Car looks like crap now, door and quarter are way off, used Spies MS clear.
That's why I'm at home on the forums, I'll give em to after lunch to straighten it out.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:15 PM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

While we're reminiscing here's a car I did in 1969. Small flake, cobwebbing, imagineering and 24 coats of clear (most sanded off).

New '72 Vega with Flip flop red pearl over factory white with candy blue stripes.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:18 PM
Spraygun
Tech Contributor

Sweet!! I like the old school styles, I'd like to see more pics if you have them. The vette hood is nice, I was never able to find one. I've had two Vegas, one small block, one big block. Like driving a safe in a wheel barrel with the big block. I can't find all the pics but here's the Little one right before I sold it.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Keith Carlson
Racer

Cool Vegas!

Always liked them and they also made great "second" cars so the Vettes could stay in the garage during winter!

On the subject of pearls, here is an old one from the archives. A '67 with a few murano pearls, red in the basecoat (changed from red to gold in the sunlight) and a few overlays on the hood. Done in '74 for a sweet young lady and we had three '67's in the mid 70's. The original knock off wheels came from a '65 Coupe (396/425HP) I had purchased at the same time that was mechanically straight but badly customized that I put back together with all OEM panels for Joanne's father.

PS. Great putt around car for a young gal, low miles, 327/300 HP, 4SPD, Teak Wheel, Sidepipes, Knock Offs, Michelins, nice paint and interior.

Last edited by Keith Carlson; 10-27-2011 at 06:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Spraygun's barn find

Quick Reply: Spraygun's barn find