Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

PPG primer question - did they give me the wrong stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 07:39 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Default PPG primer question - did they give me the wrong stuff?

Rather than rattle-can under hood black from Eastwood I'm attempting to use PPG DCU2060 "Flexed'n'Flat" clear. I've read great reviews indicating it's perfect for that proper under hood sheen.

All these parts are steel (or iron) that I'm first blasting in my abrasive cabinet with aluminum oxide or silicon carbide, so they have a nice grippy surface. We're talking about brackets, pulleys, rad supports, air cleaner lids, that sort of thing.

In any event, the paint store gave me PPG Deltron 2K base coat. As a primer they sold me K36. Reading the data sheet, however, it says that "Steel an aluminum substrates must have a two-step metal treatment, wash primer, or epoxy primer coating before applying K36".

I'm not a paint or body guy - but I have the feeling they've steered me in the wrong direction. Should I be using K36 on the bare metal before my base coat, or should I be using an epoxy primer?

If so, any recommendation (preferable PPG to keep it all in one store) on which product to use? I really want a durable finish.

Thanks for any tips! I'm into a quart of primer, base, and clear for close to $400 and don't want to find out this is the wrong combination of products!

- Dave
Old 01-31-2012, 09:57 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I would return the K36 and get some epoxy primer instead.

Then prime with the epoxy and paint directly on it without sanding.

Craig
Old 02-01-2012, 09:29 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

The epoxy primer has better corrosion protection. It's also thinner which is what you want on brackets, pulleys etc. Thick primer like K36 is meant for blocking. In brackets it is more likely to chip.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:52 AM
redvtt
Team Owner

Location: All great change begins at the dinner table Ronald Reagan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 02-12-2012, 10:52 PM
vetman1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

K36 has great fill properties that you don't need on brackets etc. PPG has several epoxy sealers that will work well for your application. Unfortunately I no longer use PPG products and can't remember the part numbers.

Get notified of new replies

To PPG primer question - did they give me the wrong stuff?

Quick Reply: PPG primer question - did they give me the wrong stuff?