Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Firewall and front clip logistics

Old 11-01-2012, 04:42 PM
JD McC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firewall and front clip logistics

OK. I need to hear from the voices of experience on this one.
I have what started out to be a 1979 body-off resto/mod project. The chassis is complete (had to replace the frame with one from a 78) and I started work on the body but found the bird cage too rust damaged and ended up finding the bucket from a 1982. When I initially thought of repairing the 79 bird cage, I took the clip and firewall off the 79 in one piece. The clip and firewall are well bonded and in great shape. The birdcage on the 82 is in great shape except for the firewall that has multiple (repairable) cracks. I am mulling over 2 options to put it together:

1. Leave the 82 firewall in place, repair the cracks, separate the front clip from the 79 firewall and put it on the 82, with all the degree of difficulty this presents. I won't have to remove the windshield.

2. Remove the cracked 82 firewall and try to install the 79 clip and firewall together as a unit onto the 82 cage. Again, considering the degree of difficulty. Requires windshield removal.

I am inclined to go with what sounds like the more conventional route, and fix the cracks and separate the clip and reapply it to the repaired clip. Any thoughts or discussion is appreciated. I will try to get some pics up soon if it would help.

Thanks, JD
Old 11-06-2012, 08:39 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Without photo's...hard to say. It can be done in both options that you have stated. Depending on the severity of the cracks...and the number of them...I would more than likely repair these cracks. BUT...it would also depend on the condition of the birdcage that I have not seen...but can only take you point of view of what you have seen and commented on.

DUB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Firewall and front clip logistics