Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Welding C5 Front Clip

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 01:47 PM
96juicedgt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Welding C5 Front Clip

Just curious as to what type rods need to be used to replace a front clip on my C5. Mig weld or stick weld on the frame rails? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by 96juicedgt; 12-03-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:11 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I am scared to respond...only because if you do not know what type of welding equipment is required to weld a C5 frame. Then I have to wonder if you have ever done this...and know how to section a frame...and how to cut it...and WHERE to cut it and reinforce it.

If you have NEVER done this...I would HIGHLY advise on getting up with a GM dealer and looking at the frame section pieces that they sell...which can give you an indication on what GM feels are the areas that they would like to have the frame cut and sectioned.

Just chopping off steel and welding one back on can be a VERY DANGEROUS situation... because the whole idea is making sure that the frame integrity is not lessened due to improper repair procedures.

I looked at you Public Profile,,,and I do not know what you do for a living...which adds to my concerns. I do not want you and any innocent person driving down the road and the frame separates and someone gets hurt due to lack of attention in welding and repair and structural integrity in repairing this frame has been sacrificed.

Did not mean to offend you...but I am MORE concerned about other people who would pass this Corvette going down the road than your feelings...at this point.

DUB
Old 12-05-2012, 09:35 PM
96juicedgt
Racer

No problem on the response. Haven't welded a front clip on a corvette but I have on a mustang several times. The mustang front clips are much more sturdy than these corvette frames. As you can see the driver side rail is bent in the pics below. Just seems to be different material used between the two frames and didn't wanna possibly burn through the frame when welding it.

Did put a front clip on this car and it turned out pretty well IMO.

After replacing the front clip and finished painting.

Pic of the car after paint before pulling it outta the garage.
img]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b273/slow46gt/100_1460.jpg[/img]

I am not a body man at all but I enjoy working on my own cars. Actually work for CSX as a conductor. Anyway sorry for getting off topic. Just wanted some info to decide whether I should do it myself or have a good friend do it that is a professional welder. Just take pride in doing my own work and haven't had a problem yet.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:18 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On a Corvette there is no "front clip" per se... the frame is hydroformed HSS and the body parts all bolt to the steel skeleton, and are made from glass reinforced plastic. Splicing a modern frame (if that's what you mean by clipping the car) is NOT a good idea. If the frame is damaged enough to require sections be cut out and replaced I strongly recommend you shop for a frame that is either undamaged, or one that can be pulled straight without the need to cut a rail and splice.

Perhaps some photos of your damage could clarify where you want to go and net better responses as to possible repairs?
Old 12-06-2012, 07:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

96juicedgt...First off...nice looking job on the Mustang...from what the pictures showed.

BUT...You are comparing "apples to oranges"...when you try to compare a frame of a 1997-2013 Corvette to a Mustang. COMPLETELY two different scenarios.

First off the frame of the new Corvettes is MUCH stronger than any Mustang....simply because a Mustang is NOT a full frame car.

Also photo's ( as mentioned) would be helpful.

And even though you have a friend who is an experienced welder. If he/she is not aware of how to cut and section a frame correctly...he/she is useless. I know several certified professional welders who will NOT do welding and modifications on frames due to not knowing how and were to section...and if sleeving is or is not needed....due to "crumple zones" .

DUB
Old 12-06-2012, 07:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

96juicedgt...First off...nice looking job on the Mustang...from what the pictures showed.

BUT...You are comparing "apples to oranges"...when you try to compare a frame of a 1997-2013 Corvette to a Mustang. COMPLETELY two different scenarios.

First off the frame of the new Corvettes is MUCH stronger than any Mustang....simply because a Mustang is NOT a full frame car.

Also photo's ( as mentioned) would be helpful.

And even though you have a friend who is an experienced welder. If he/she is not aware of how to cut and section a frame correctly...he/she is useless. I know several certified professional welders who will NOT do welding and modifications on frames due to not knowing how and were to section...and if sleeving is or is not needed....due to "crumple zones" .

DUB
Old 01-30-2013, 09:27 PM
bighouse
Instructor

Originally Posted by markids77
On a Corvette there is no "front clip" per se... the frame is hydroformed HSS and the body parts all bolt to the steel skeleton, and are made from glass reinforced plastic. Splicing a modern frame (if that's what you mean by clipping the car) is NOT a good idea. If the frame is damaged enough to require sections be cut out and replaced I strongly recommend you shop for a frame that is either undamaged, or one that can be pulled straight without the need to cut a rail and splice.

Perhaps some photos of your damage could clarify where you want to go and net better responses as to possible repairs?
This is good information

Hi- i'm usually over at the c2 forum and this is my first time looking at the body forum. I couldn't help but chime in here. Your pics of the mustang clip look nice, but you didn't show any of pics of your structural repair.

If you are even entertaining the idea of stick welding your HSS hydroformed frame STOP.

Industry standards call for replacement of damaged HSS and Hydroformed metal. The molecular make up of these materials is not the same of a old mild-steel component from the 60's. If you are indeed going to replace this and weld in some new pieces you better get your self an auto-body repair college-type text book.

Lives are at risk, when repairs are not performed correctly and people become injured or hurt in a vehicle the you "repaired" you(the guy who repaired it) becomes responsible.

Proceed with caution. Sorry if this sounds like a rant.

Last edited by bighouse; 01-30-2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-06-2013, 06:32 PM
redvtt
Team Owner

Location: All great change begins at the dinner table Ronald Reagan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One of the cars I would not repair a frame on is a Corvette. People take these cars up to extreme speeds, just for starters. If anything gives, it could be a disaster.

If I were going to repair a Corvette frame, I would find a stripped Vette at an auction and salvage the frame/body. In the long run, one would be better off and would be able to sell the extra parts on the forum to recover costs, as a bonus.

In addition, maybe someone can chim ein: isn't a C5 frame also aluminum?
I think the c6 frame is, at least the one I saw at ALMS was.

Last edited by redvtt; 02-06-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:50 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by redvtt
One of the cars I would not repair a frame on is a Corvette. People take these cars up to extreme speeds, just for starters. If anything gives, it could be a disaster.

If I were going to repair a Corvette frame, I would find a stripped Vette at an auction and salvage the frame/body. In the long run, one would be better off and would be able to sell the extra parts on the forum to recover costs, as a bonus.

In addition, maybe someone can chim ein: isn't a C5 frame also aluminum?
I think the c6 frame is, at least the one I saw at ALMS was.
C5 is high strength steel. Race shops repair C5's all the time. I guess you need to know exactly what your doing.

Get notified of new replies

To Welding C5 Front Clip

Quick Reply: Welding C5 Front Clip