Filling in letters on C5 rear bumper

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 11:44 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default Filling in letters on C5 rear bumper

What would be used to fill in the molded in "Corvette" letters on the rear of a C5. I am want a smooth look with no letters. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:41 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

This is not going to be an easy job. But if you have to do it. You need to use the filler material that is used when you repair urethane bumpers. LORD FUSOR offers a good product for this. It may require an adhesion promoter BEFORE you apply the material. CALL Lord Fusor and talk to their Tech Department and let them know what you plan on doing.

Best of luck. This is going top be hard...like I wrote above due to you trying to get this area flat and not having ghost outlines of where the letters were. If I were doing this for you...it would cost a lot of $$$$. Seems simple...but it is not.

DUB
Old 08-08-2013, 10:02 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DUB
This is not going to be an easy job. But if you have to do it. You need to use the filler material that is used when you repair urethane bumpers. LORD FUSOR offers a good product for this. It may require an adhesion promoter BEFORE you apply the material. CALL Lord Fusor and talk to their Tech Department and let them know what you plan on doing.

Best of luck. This is going top be hard...like I wrote above due to you trying to get this area flat and not having ghost outlines of where the letters were. If I were doing this for you...it would cost a lot of $$$$. Seems simple...but it is not.

DUB
I didn't think it was going to be simple just because of what you point out regarding getting it perfectly flat and contoured correctly. I have a spare rear bumper which I will be trying this on so if it goes south I still have the original for the car. Thanks for the information and I will contact Lord Fusor.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:55 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

So after reading a number of repair threads and talking to Fusor, it seems a better option, though it may be just as difficult to pull off correctly, might be to cut out the lettered section as a whole and patch in a section of the same material without the letters (taken let say from another bumper of like material). First plastic welding it in and then filling the seams. Doing this rather than trying to fill in the letters. Better idea or not?
Old 08-11-2013, 04:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

Getting a piece that will conform and be "welded-in" is possible, Would I do it....NO. I would prefer to fill in the letters because you would still have the structure of the bumper intact. By cutting out the section and weakening the part...then trying to get the piece to be welded in as good as possible...would still leave the possibility that the entire section would have to be covered with a filler material...which is the same as if you ground and prepped around the letters and filled the area in.

DUB
Old 08-11-2013, 06:37 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DUB
Getting a piece that will conform and be "welded-in" is possible, Would I do it....NO. I would prefer to fill in the letters because you would still have the structure of the bumper intact. By cutting out the section and weakening the part...then trying to get the piece to be welded in as good as possible...would still leave the possibility that the entire section would have to be covered with a filler material...which is the same as if you ground and prepped around the letters and filled the area in.

DUB
Thanks.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:43 PM
FrostCzar
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have any recommendations for a non permanent solution to this? I am considering a vinyl wrap for my car and when i do this I was considering covering the letters prior to the wrap so a flush look is easier to accomplish.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:50 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by FrostCzar
Does anyone have any recommendations for a non permanent solution to this? I am considering a vinyl wrap for my car and when i do this I was considering covering the letters prior to the wrap so a flush look is easier to accomplish.
No...I can not think of any due to if you just fill in the area with a product that does not bond...then the chance that the product can release and cause for an issue in your wrap. Granted...not knowing where you live due to your Public Profile was not filled out...it depends on where you live and the temperatures...which can cause the rear bumper to expand and contract...thus causing the product to potentially fail. WHICH can possibly never happen...or can happen in a few months. Just don't know.

DUB
Old 12-24-2015, 05:22 PM
FrostCzar
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DUB
No...I can not think of any due to if you just fill in the area with a product that does not bond...then the chance that the product can release and cause for an issue in your wrap. Granted...not knowing where you live due to your Public Profile was not filled out...it depends on where you live and the temperatures...which can cause the rear bumper to expand and contract...thus causing the product to potentially fail. WHICH can possibly never happen...or can happen in a few months. Just don't know.

DUB
Good point. I didn't think of that aspect. I guess I was just mostly concerned about how difficult it might be to wrap the bumper with indented letters. Also I guess it might be helpful to update my profile some. I get a little anxious about putting too much info out there, but yea some would be ok. Currently in N. Florida, so weather can be a factor at times... just not this year apparently hah. I'll update it. Thanks!
Old 12-24-2015, 05:28 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by FrostCzar
Good point. I didn't think of that aspect. I guess I was just mostly concerned about how difficult it might be to wrap the bumper with indented letters. Also I guess it might be helpful to update my profile some. I get a little anxious about putting too much info out there, but yea some would be ok. Currently in N. Florida, so weather can be a factor at times... just not this year apparently hah. I'll update it. Thanks!
BASIC info....nothing specific if you choose....which is fine by me...but it helps knowing if you live in Florida or Switzerland. I do not care if you put your name. or any of the other stuff..does not matter.

You might want to talk to the installers of the wrap..because...I do know that it can be molded to some contours...but when I have seen it done...it changes the saturation level of the color and lightens it a bit due to the wrap being stretched. Maybe in the letter area is wont be that bad. I am sure that they can take a small section and do it and let you look at it.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Filling in letters on C5 rear bumper

Quick Reply: Filling in letters on C5 rear bumper