Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Newoob Needs some Peel, Bubble Help…on Our Modeling Prop

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 11:03 AM
72and86
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Newoob Needs some Peel, Bubble Help…on Our Modeling Prop

I'm a bit overwhelmed here. I have a 1986 C4 that was repainted in 1991. After about 4 years the paint began to blister/crack under the door handles (about 3" long ), also the paint began to blister/crack /peel on the bottom leading edge of the hood line. This ugly blister, about to pop n peel, is about the size of my palm. Also a couple sink-holes where the painter filled my removed luggage rack holes.

The guy who painted it can't be found, we've lost touch.

I know NOTHING about fixing this the right way. So I need some 101 on prepping this correctly for someone to spray it. Most threads Ive read are about a complete repaint or chip touch-up.

Any help is appreciated. Each year I look at my car more disgusted and I use it as a modeling prop for my lady, so it needs to look good… (shameless plug above) Thanks, Amy and I appreciate it.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:24 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Posting a photo(s) of the actual problem area(s) would be greatly appreciated.

Other than that...without you peeling these blistered areas and seeing what is going on under it ...makes any replies on what to do and how to do it quite pointless.

Numerous "things" can cause these problems...and unless the "root" of the problem(s) has been identified...typing further is a total waste of time.

DUB
Old 11-21-2013, 10:09 AM
72and86
Drifting

Ouch. Ok...
Old 11-21-2013, 05:48 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 72and86
Ouch. Ok...
What??? You asked for help....and the photo you posted did nothing to aid me seeing what you are seeing. Plain, pure and simple. I do not know if you are "fishing" for some other comment or not. Not happening by me...I am purely business when I help guys who ask for help.

DUB
Old 11-22-2013, 12:14 AM
72and86
Drifting

Originally Posted by DUB
What??? You asked for help....and the photo you posted did nothing to aid me seeing what you are seeing. Plain, pure and simple. I do not know if you are "fishing" for some other comment or not. Not happening by me...I am purely business when I help guys who ask for help.

DUB
I am fishing for an answer to fix the paint problems I described, anything else I'll take my rod and reel to the lake…
I did not know photos were required, my bad. I am new at this. I will pull the car out of storage and take some detail photos….
Old 11-22-2013, 06:42 PM
DUB
Race Director

I did not know photos were required, my bad. I am new at this. I will pull the car out of storage and take some detail photos….
No problem. Glad that you joined the Corvette Forum!!! But the number of potential problems that can cause this/these problems would require me to type for hours to try to cover most of them in great detail.

SO without photo's and you doing what was mentioned in post number 2. It is all a guessing game.

I will wait for you to identify what is under the paint that is coming off...and the condition of that is under the area that the paint is coming off...such as shiny paint from the previous paint job...I once again can not offer any advice without any further info. And if you having to break paint flakes off your car to see what is going on under is something you do not want to do. Anything I comment on that can cause it is purely guess work.

I can write this...often times issues much like what you are experiencing can often take years to develop. If these "problems" start happening in other areas...especially if the car is being covered...it "may" require some serious work to correct.

DUB
Old 11-24-2013, 12:15 PM
72and86
Drifting

Ok here's the first part which is probably the worst. Its a 4"x2" blister. Underneath the paint appears to be showing the fiberglass… Contaminates seemed to have worked their way in from the sides, origin of blister; unknown. "Checking" can be seen above the paint.
Its the closing bottom edge of the hood C4.
I have never done bodywork so use baby terms…
Thanks.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:55 PM
DUB
Race Director

If when you look in between the panel and the paint that is lifting off...and you can see a reddish colored material. Which I think I am seeing oh so slightly. I would have to bet that the previous person who attempted to repair this area used a body filler that was either incorrect for the repair...or they used really cheap filler.

This area would need to be ground/sanded down to investigate what the problem is. If the previous person just "slapped" filler over a crack in the panel...this along with using really cheap stuff is what more than likely caused this problem.

Also...if you peel a small piece of the paint off and look at the backside of it...it will also let us know what sprayed on this filler prior to painting.

One last thing. If the underside or backside of this area shows any signs of distress...and water has ever been sprayed on the underside of the hood....or this area is in an area where water from driving in the rain can get on it...you also could have water damage to the body material SMC (Sheet Molded Compound). I do see staining from water from the outside...which is not good for a future repair attempt.

For what it is worth...just because the body is not made out of steel...which we all know can rust when it gets wet. A fiberglass bodied car will not rust...as we all know...but if the unprotected /exposed panels are subjected to water, oil, "tire shine" or any other foreign contaminant can damage the panels integrity. Depending on the length of exposure...this/these contaminants can or will more than likely absorb into the panel and make a repair more costly due to having to deal with a substance that effects adhesion.

DUB
Old 11-25-2013, 10:49 AM
72and86
Drifting

Originally Posted by DUB
If when you look in between the panel and the paint that is lifting off...and you can see a reddish colored material. Which I think I am seeing oh so slightly. I would have to bet that the previous person who attempted to repair this area used a body filler that was either incorrect for the repair...or they used really cheap filler.

This area would need to be ground/sanded down to investigate what the problem is. If the previous person just "slapped" filler over a crack in the panel...this along with using really cheap stuff is what more than likely caused this problem.
I do not believe a body filler was used on the car, at least not there. What you may be seeing is the exposed panel stained. After painting it in the early 1990s it was stored outside, as I lived in a condo; no garage. Over half of its life it's been stored outside, although covered.

Originally Posted by DUB
Also...if you peel a small piece of the paint off and look at the backside of it...it will also let us know what sprayed on this filler prior to painting.

One last thing. If the underside or backside of this area shows any signs of distress...and water has ever been sprayed on the underside of the hood....or this area is in an area where water from driving in the rain can get on it...you also could have water damage to the body material SMC (Sheet Molded Compound). I do see staining from water from the outside...which is not good for a future repair attempt.
Is SMC fiberglass then? Am I getting that right? Also you say "which is not good for a future repair attempt." Can you be more specific why?

Originally Posted by DUB
For what it is worth...just because the body is not made out of steel...which we all know can rust when it gets wet. A fiberglass bodied car will not rust...as we all know...but if the unprotected /exposed panels are subjected to water, oil, "tire shine" or any other foreign contaminant can damage the panels integrity. Depending on the length of exposure...this/these contaminants can or will more than likely absorb into the panel and make a repair more costly due to having to deal with a substance that effects adhesion.DUB
Im sure lots of stuff made it into the bare spot. So how do I go about removing it. What do I need for tools, where do I start? Thank you. Steve
Old 11-25-2013, 06:06 PM
DUB
Race Director

I do not believe a body filler was used on the car, at least not there. What you may be seeing is the exposed panel stained. After painting it in the early 1990s it was stored outside, as I lived in a condo; no garage. Over half of its life it's been stored outside, although covered.
There is part of the problem right there. Car covers are dangerous...regardless if they say they can "breathe". What car covers do if installed and basically forgotten is trap moisture under the car and when it rains...the car gets wet under the car itself and with the cover going so far down to the ground in most cases...the air can not circulate and allow the moisture to easily escape. Even though the moisture will "possibly" escape from between the paint and the cover itself...that does nothing for the moisture that is entering the cabin area..OR...the underside of body panels. IF you plan on using a car cover outside it does require a lot of maintenance...constantly removing the cover and allowing the car to "air out" AFTER rain storms....along with air drying the cover itself. In some areas of the country that may be quite often. I would not use a cover outside myself without being constantly vigilant in making sure the car was always dry and aired out. Good inside storage is best.

Is SMC fiberglass then? Am I getting that right? Also you say "which is not good for a future repair attempt." Can you be more specific why?
SMC is a composite material that can be generalized with a fiberglass. Fiberglass mat can be used to laminate it and repair it...but it does take some specific materials to ensure proper adhesion due to its chemical structure.

Moisture staining will often times seep into the fibers and structure of the SMC...and this requires grinding it away to get to good un-contaminated SMC. Because it is pointless to do any repairs to SMC that has been contaminated and expect a good strong repair.

Im sure lots of stuff made it into the bare spot. So how do I go about removing it. What do I need for tools, where do I start? Thank you. Steve
Before we get this process going. If you live in a condo...you can not do this out in the parking lot. The reason being that you will need an air compressor and have to spray materials that could get overspray all over other peoples cars, etc.

How much body work have you done??? Reason I am asking..this is not going to be a simple fix...and will take some time. And with winter coming upon us...you can not do somethings with the body surface temp being so cold...and just thinking that a heat gun will do to warm thing up...is quite incorrect.

DUB
Old 11-26-2013, 11:34 AM
72and86
Drifting

Originally Posted by DUB
There is part of the problem right there. Car covers are dangerous...regardless if they say they can "breathe". What car covers do if installed and basically forgotten is trap moisture under the car and when it rains...the car gets wet under the car itself and with the cover going so far down to the ground in most cases...the air can not circulate and allow the moisture to easily escape. Even though the moisture will "possibly" escape from between the paint and the cover itself...that does nothing for the moisture that is entering the cabin area..OR...the underside of body panels. IF you plan on using a car cover outside it does require a lot of maintenance...constantly removing the cover and allowing the car to "air out" AFTER rain storms....along with air drying the cover itself. In some areas of the country that may be quite often. I would not use a cover outside myself without being constantly vigilant in making sure the car was always dry and aired out. Good inside storage is best.
The problem was I usually had more cars than garages so I resorted to covers. And yes I did remove them to air out after rain. I was not impressed by even the most expensive covers. The car is garaged now.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:42 AM
72and86
Drifting

Originally Posted by DUB
SMC is a composite material that can be generalized with a fiberglass. Fiberglass mat can be used to laminate it and repair it...but it does take some specific materials to ensure proper adhesion due to its chemical structure.

Moisture staining will often times seep into the fibers and structure of the SMC...and this requires grinding it away to get to good un-contaminated SMC. Because it is pointless to do any repairs to SMC that has been contaminated and expect a good strong repair.
So for all intents and purposes SMC is what the Corvette body is made of, right? I didn't realize it was absorbent...
Old 11-26-2013, 12:01 PM
72and86
Drifting

Originally Posted by DUB
Before we get this process going. If you live in a condo...you can not do this out in the parking lot. The reason being that you will need an air compressor and have to spray materials that could get overspray all over other peoples cars, etc.

How much body work have you done??? Reason I am asking..this is not going to be a simple fix...and will take some time. And with winter coming upon us...you can not do somethings with the body surface temp being so cold...and just thinking that a heat gun will do to warm thing up...is quite incorrect.
DUB
I am actually adding a 2 car garage on to my 2 car garage. The new one will have 12' ceilings and the space I need. So, no I no longer live in the condo (since 1996). As $ permits I hope to make this my dream garage and learn how to do most of this stuff.
The last body work I did was with Bondo on my 1972 Vega front fender, sanded by hand and primed with a spray-can circa 1978…
I'm hoping with some coaching I can learn to do the prep work and have my friend shoot the color.
I need a basic materials and tool list to start working and saving towards…even if I begin next year as the weather warms up.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:09 PM
DUB
Race Director

I will get back to you soon...seeing how this project will begin a few months down the road.

DUB
Old 03-25-2015, 10:13 AM
72and86
Drifting

Originally Posted by DUB
I will get back to you soon...seeing how this project will begin a few months down the road.

DUB
I'd like to move forward on this now that spring is here. Any help?
Old 03-25-2015, 05:39 PM
DUB
Race Director

You are going to have to uncover the damaged area by sanding and or grinding. the show with good photos of what you a have found. I am still betting that there is either some type of body filler or an excessive amount of primer casing this issue.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Newoob Needs some Peel, Bubble Help…on Our Modeling Prop

Quick Reply: Newoob Needs some Peel, Bubble Help…on Our Modeling Prop