Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

E-coat frame or not??

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 07:38 AM
jimkari
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default E-coat frame or not??

I have a '73 convertible that I pulled the body on and disassembled the frame. I am having the frame, control arms, and trailing arms dipped to remove all the rust. The cost is $700. If I want everything e-coated it's an additional $900. I can have just the frame e-coated for $550. I don't know if it's worth doing any e-coating or maybe just the frame since the e-coating is a dipped process that should coat the entire inside of the frame. Part of me says don't cheap out and at least have the frame e-coated. But then I've read about some products from Eastwood that seem like they'd do a decent job for a fraction of the cost. I am really torn. This is not going to be a show car, but rather I hope it turns out to be a nice restoration that is also a car I want to drive on a regular basis.

I really appreciate any advice from the Forum.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 12-12-2013, 05:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Where you are located in the country and salt is often a factor on the roads...I would do it...or at least the frame, trailing arms,rear differential cross member ( after bushings have been removed), radiator support ( unless you are buying a new one)...and I would dip it also even if it is new. The control arms, engine pulleys, rear front fender to frame plates, fuel tank front support can be powder coated...or whatever you choose.

I do many other items also when restoring a Corvette. POR-15 can be used. I use the black semi-gloss...and it works great. Just make sure you follow the direction to the letter.

I do restorations for a living so my time is a factor. Spending time on cleaning, blasting and applying a product often times becomes cost ineffective...where me sending parts out to have them done actually is cheaper (dollar-wise) for my customers.

DUB
Old 12-13-2013, 07:29 AM
jimkari
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate the comments.

Jim
Old 01-25-2014, 11:54 AM
LTwannaB
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found your thread while searching for frame dipping info and noticed you were in WI.
I live in Minnesota, and have been looking for a local shop that can dip the frame as you have had done, and cannot find any. I have the body off and I'm in the process of removing all components from the frame.
Could you give me contact info where you had yours done?
Thanks,
Dan
Old 03-08-2014, 02:02 AM
jasonfaul
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really appreciate that you shared this with us. I also want to know the address of the shop. It would be of really help.

Get notified of new replies

To E-coat frame or not??

Quick Reply: E-coat frame or not??