Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Body on or off for painting?

Old 07-12-2014, 04:37 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,479 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Default Body on or off for painting?

Been thinking this one over for a couple days and thought I would see what you guys thought or experienced.

My 65 project is getting close to being ready for the paint shop and I was out on the internet checking out a local paint shop that has a lot of experience with Corvettes and noticed all their pictures show painting with the body off.

My 65 is currently stripped of all paint and ready for body work and paint. My thoughts on this subject are that I don't want to risk damaging the paint during the body drop or pay a shop to build up the firewall and install the body. My last 65 frame off was painted this way and I thought it went OK.

Engine and chassis are completed, I would drop the body on the frame and hook up all the engine and underside stuff, install bare doors, hood, deck lid etc. and deliver to body shop.

Also part of the paint process would be for the body shop to set all my hood and door gaps so when I get the car back home I just install all the chrome and interior.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Mr D.; 07-12-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

*****NOT passing any judgement******

I...personally and professionally PREFER to paint the bodies ON the frame and all shimming and such completed.

REASONS:
1.) I can make sure the bumpers fit and no possible body damage when getting them adjusted during the body work stage.
2.) Make sure the headlight buckets fit PERFECTLY...even though I know some 'purists' want the body panels NOT to fit perfectly....because they came from the factory is 'not all that great'.
3.) Doors, hood and convertible hatch lid can be adjusted and fitted so all gaps and the panels being flush can be achieved WITHOUT fear of them being off when the body is being re-installed.
4.) I am NOT worried about dusts and overspray...because I have methods that make the final assembly and clean-up easy. And I know how to mask one off so I do not get paint where it is NOT needed. YES it takes time....but to me it is worth it.

I know many guys who paint them off the frame and when I go by and look at them...they look very good...but I pick out panel fitting issues that could have been corrected if it were on the frame. Some people can live with a little bit of 'this and that'...when it comes to obvious panel fitment issues...but to me I can not live with it.

It ALL depends on what YOU expect and are looking for when it is completed. Wanting the body brought into FOCUS...thus meaning that panels are set and modified to fit perfectly to the EYE...as I tell my customers...or a factory look....which we all know what that is.

DUB
Old 07-12-2014, 10:24 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,479 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Thank Dub for the sanity check.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:22 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mr D.
Thank Dub for the sanity check.
I do not know if I would consider myself sane though. Many who know me would agree. At times...I am just shy of needing a straight jacket.

DUB
Old 07-15-2014, 05:41 PM
71frameoff
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see your point about leaving the body on the frame but how do you stop from getting overspray on the frame? I just powdercoated the frame and want to keep it looking good. (not perfect)
Old 07-15-2014, 06:16 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 71frameoff
I see your point about leaving the body on the frame but how do you stop from getting overspray on the frame? I just powdercoated the frame and want to keep it looking good. (not perfect)
I will write this: AND I look for PERFECT...not just looking good. It is not hard to keep it perfect.

There are products that can be sprayed on the frame...and allowed to dry...that can be washed off with warm water and NOTHING will stick to it. Basically a special soap that dries. Common sense would tell you where to apply it and where to do 'something' else to the frame where you might NOT want water getting into it.

I know that it is about impossible to stop all of the dust from sanding to get on the frame and whatever. But...if a person used common sense and 'think things through' a bit. They should be able to figure out a way (like I have) that can reduce the amount of these dusts.

Also...how do you keep dirt out of a cut you have on you???? Think about it. I can keep the polished stainless exhaust looking perfect along with certain areas of the frame using the SAME basic principle of how your keep that cut protected.

Also keep in mind that I can EASILY spend 8+ hours in taping off a Corvette for a complete paint job. Which aids in keeping the overspray from my painting process to a minimum. AND...I also use HVLP spray guns and know how to set up my guns to keep the 'fog' in the booth while painting to a minimum also. Basecoat is not an issue. The issue is when I am clearing. It is a balancing act....on when to stop clearing to allow the 'fog' to clear out...and actually changing out my exhaust filters due to they get clogged up quickly now due to the new design of exhaust filters I HAVE TO use to be compliant with the new EPA 6H ruling.

All of these steps (and many more that are my secrets) is/are what allows me to be successful in my process of having the body on the frame when it is painted.

DUB
Old 07-15-2014, 06:36 PM
71frameoff
Instructor

DUB,
Thanks for the heads up. I will listen and learn.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:56 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 71frameoff
DUB,
Thanks for the heads up. I will listen and learn.
That is what 'we' are here for. To help those who ASK for assistance.

I often times answer question right out...but sometimes I like to let people figure it out themselves when they take the time to stop and think about it.

When it gets technical...TRUST ME...I will NOT beat around the bush. I (we) DO NOT want you to fail.

DUB
Old 07-15-2014, 09:51 PM
71frameoff
Instructor

COOL, thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Body on or off for painting?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Body on or off for painting?