Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Inner fender and floor panel primer

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 08:22 AM
Mikesfreetime
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Inner fender and floor panel primer

69 vert, What color and brand is used for the inner fenders, underside, and interior floor boards? I notice a green primer on all the metal interior floor areas.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:48 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The green primer is a zinc-chromate primer that they used back them and is really hard to find due to the heavy metals in it are now being removed from primers. I believe you can still get it but the color may not be exactly the same.

Inner fenders are cleaned and an undercoating is applied to specific areas.

Many areas of the floor boards on the underside are left natural.

If you are going for ORIGINALITY...you need to get an assembly manual and other books that show where these products are applied. NCRS judging book may also help. No pictures in the NCRS judging book but it lets you know what they judge.

DUB
Old 08-14-2014, 07:36 AM
Mikesfreetime
Racer

Originally Posted by DUB
The green primer is a zinc-chromate primer that they used back them and is really hard to find due to the heavy metals in it are now being removed from primers. I believe you can still get it but the color may not be exactly the same.

Inner fenders are cleaned and an undercoating is applied to specific areas.

Many areas of the floor boards on the underside are left natural.

If you are going for ORIGINALITY...you need to get an assembly manual and other books that show where these products are applied. NCRS judging book may also help. No pictures in the NCRS judging book but it lets you know what they judge.

DUB
I am not looking for my car to be judged but it is a numbers matching 69 427/400 so I would like it to look somewhat close. That being said if the best bet is to undercoat or paint the under carriage and firewall I plan on doing it. Do you have any suggestions on how I should proceed?
Old 08-14-2014, 07:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mikesfreetime
I am not looking for my car to be judged but it is a numbers matching 69 427/400 so I would like it to look somewhat close. That being said if the best bet is to undercoat or paint the under carriage and firewall I plan on doing it. Do you have any suggestions on how I should proceed?
Is the body on the frame or off?

DUB
Old 08-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Mikesfreetime
Racer

Originally Posted by DUB
Is the body on the frame or off?

DUB
Ye body is off, doors off, wiring out.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:45 PM
DUB
Race Director

I myself would use a black epoxy primer (PPG DP90LF) that would be thinned down a bit so it will flow and not be so orange-peely for the firewall and inner skirts. But when I do them I make sure all parts are off and then I re-attach them with the correct soft aluminum solid rivets like GM did. That is up to you. The cleaning and prep is where you are going to have about ALL of your time invested.

AS for any undercoating that you plan to shoot on the inner fenders...I use the 3M BODY SCHUTZ #08864 and I have the special gun that applies it. You can use an aerosol can of rubberized undercoating....but sometimes it can be tricky in getting it to the correct texture. As for the bottom of the floor pans.. Like I wrote before...I try at all costs to NOT undercoat the bottom of the floor pans.

**OFF-TOPIC***
I am concerned about the cut vacuum hoses for your vacuum system for your A/C. I see the grommet and the hoses with blue tape on them. I have a trick to fix that....unless you plan on buying new hoses and getting them through this grommet.

Watch out for your accelerator cable also...if knock too many times...it will break.

DUB
Old 08-18-2014, 07:13 AM
Mikesfreetime
Racer

Originally Posted by DUB
I myself would use a black epoxy primer (PPG DP90LF) that would be thinned down a bit so it will flow and not be so orange-peely for the firewall and inner skirts. But when I do them I make sure all parts are off and then I re-attach them with the correct soft aluminum solid rivets like GM did. That is up to you. The cleaning and prep is where you are going to have about ALL of your time invested.

AS for any undercoating that you plan to shoot on the inner fenders...I use the 3M BODY SCHUTZ #08864 and I have the special gun that applies it. You can use an aerosol can of rubberized undercoating....but sometimes it can be tricky in getting it to the correct texture. As for the bottom of the floor pans.. Like I wrote before...I try at all costs to NOT undercoat the bottom of the floor pans.

**OFF-TOPIC***
I am concerned about the cut vacuum hoses for your vacuum system for your A/C. I see the grommet and the hoses with blue tape on them. I have a trick to fix that....unless you plan on buying new hoses and getting them through this grommet.

Watch out for your accelerator cable also...if knock too many times...it will break.

DUB
Unfortunately my car was left outside under numerous layers of car covers so every hose is dry rotted. This restore is not cheap by any means by one day it will be completed.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:33 PM
DUB
Race Director

BE CAREFUL!!!

If left outside under covers and neglected. And if these 'covers' were plastic...I would be concerned if the body got damaged due to moisture. Seeing how if it was under plastic for a long time...it would be the same as being in a greenhouse...which is not good. And if the car was under an 'approved' cover for outside....it is just as bad due to limiting air circulation.

Not knowing where you are and where the car was...it is hard to confirm my thoughts.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Inner fender and floor panel primer

Quick Reply: Inner fender and floor panel primer