Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

C-2 attach sunvisor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 07:14 PM
Freds65
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C-2 attach sunvisor?

Iam trying to mount survivors but the screws that go into the windshield frame do not get tight! Feels like they are stripped out or something ??

Is their clips underneath the Chrome molding where they attached???
Can anybody give me some advice
Thanks
Freds65
Old 08-20-2014, 07:03 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

If my memory serves me correctly.. The screws should be Chrome plated taper seat Phillips head machine screws (10-24). They might be 10-32....that is where I am having 'brain-fart'. I do not think that they are sheet metal screws. I know early era C3's use sheet metal screws....but I believe a C2 used machine screws.

I do not think they have clips...but rather a metal thick block that was welded in the frame so it would be thicker so the machine screw threads had more material to grab onto....or a welded in nut....put in a specific spot.

Seeing how it is just for your visors and they are not heavy and thus needed to be tightened so hard you chip your teeth. You can possible go larger and tap it out to another size and get bigger machine screws...OR...using a thread repair material...apply a release agent to the screw....apply the epoxy material in the hole and put the screw in and let it harden. Unthread the screw and you are done ...other than doing a bit of clean up around the hole...depending on how messy you got it while doing it. OBVIOUSLY...read the directions if you use it.

I have seen guys put several strands of copper wire in the hole and use it to fill in the gap when tightening the screw. That is trial and error...but fast and easy to do....and in many cases...quite effective.

You also could go through the time and effort to install a Heli-coil. All depends on how you care to attack this repair.

DUB
Old 08-20-2014, 07:36 PM
Freds65
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
If my memory serves me correctly.. The screws should be Chrome plated taper seat Phillips head machine screws (10-24). They might be 10-32....that is where I am having 'brain-fart'. I do not think that they are sheet metal screws. I know early era C3's use sheet metal screws....but I believe a C2 used machine screws.

I do not think they have clips...but rather a metal thick block that was welded in the frame so it would be thicker so the machine screw threads had more material to grab onto....or a welded in nut....put in a specific spot.

Seeing how it is just for your visors and they are not heavy and thus needed to be tightened so hard you chip your teeth. You can possible go larger and tap it out to another size and get bigger machine screws...OR...using a thread repair material...apply a release agent to the screw....apply the epoxy material in the hole and put the screw in and let it harden. Unthread the screw and you are done ...other than doing a bit of clean up around the hole...depending on how messy you got it while doing it. OBVIOUSLY...read the directions if you use it.

I have seen guys put several strands of copper wire in the hole and use it to fill in the gap when tightening the screw. That is trial and error...but fast and easy to do....and in many cases...quite effective.

You also could go through the time and effort to install a Heli-coil. All depends on how you care to attack this repair.

DUB
Dub
Thanks for your reply it is very helpful
Freds65

Get notified of new replies

To C-2 attach sunvisor?

Quick Reply: C-2 attach sunvisor?