Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

spi clear

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 11:22 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Default spi clear

i've had a lot of folks ask me why i use the spi line and which clear i like . for the price , service and performance i just cant find anything better. i have been a dupont shop , ppg shop and even used some of the euro paints in the past 40 years. it got to the point that ppg was just too much work when doing this kind of work. great for collision but not so great for restorations and customs. this is spi universal clear .
it is a very user friendly product . i have helped many first time painter with it and saw them do a jamb up job with results to be proud of .

anyway just a thread to explain it a little. hope it helps someone.
this is straight out of the booth before cut and buff. wish the picture quality was better .
Attached Images  

Last edited by porchdog; 08-22-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Nice looking job there. Gotta love it when it gets to this point. I do not use what you use...but I have used what you mentioned in your post. AND I can agree that many of PPG's clears are hard to work with and sometimes I end of fighting it to get it to lay like I want it. SO...I switched also.

And as you know 'porchdog'. NOT all clears are the same. Some have properties/characteristics that make it hard to use...or they can 'do something funky' several months after it had been applied due to their chemical make-up.

God knows I have paid my dues on 'issues' after the fact that I had to repair..only to find it was the clear.

YEAH...I know...you can never take a picture and capture what you can see with your eyes. it just can not be done.

Also..as you may know 'porchdog' but others may not. In MANY cases...a new paint company coming out on the market to compete with those BIG paint manufacturers that are established in the marketplace and are more commonly known...are USUALLY starting by chemists from the big companies tying to make a mark in the industry. I know of a few small unknown companies that started just that way.

DUB
Old 08-22-2014, 06:30 PM
Texas70
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good. Which SPI clear are you using, it looks like they have a couple of options available?

The first painting experience I ever had I used PPG 2021, I put a lot of work into that clear coat. I ended up using twice the amount needed and wet sanded half back off just to get it smooth. I don't blame the paint, because honestly I had no idea what I was doing. But I am looking at the SPI epoxy, primer, and clear for my corvette project. If nothing else, at least the SPI clear is less expensive.

Last edited by Texas70; 08-22-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:23 PM
porchdog
Drifting

i have danced with every clear since lacquer. suffered through the 70's 80's with all the changes. my biggest complaint was most every clear was designed for collision. go past 3 coats and you were in trouble. that and if you did not get right on it fast it was like buffing concrete.
i stumbled across spi in about 2003 . to be honest i was ready to retire and quit . barry knives is a vette guy and a painter. he developed his products for restorations and custom guys but after a lot of prodding he now has a few production clears for collision work . but i like the universal 1:1 mix . i use his epoxy for my build primer . love the way it changes colors when sanded. no need for a guide coat .
one problem we have today is relabeling . eastwood paint , summit paint , even nascar paint . many of the new paint lines are just older formulas licensed for resale . i learned the hard way about chemist and marketers stepping out on their own . i used matrix on 2 jobs and fought them for ever . brittle and die back killed me .

problem with the pic was i had to resize it and not smart enough to keep the pixel thing right . this is the finished car. just sold and went to washington state . going to miss it .

i use the universal clear .
Attached Images  

Last edited by porchdog; 08-22-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:00 AM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Washington State eh, hope to see it some time! I'm very interested in this thread. I predict I'm going to revive it in a couple of years when my frame off project gets to the body paint phase.

I'm thinking about using the SPI epoxy, primer, clear. But I'm wondering what kind of color brand I could use with those. Concerned about compatibility issues. Do you have a suggestion for the color brand and type? I have 0 experience. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:16 AM
porchdog
Drifting

i still use ppg color and prospray color. any quality base will work . using one brand through out is a myth . just do not mix brands together. the exception being reducer .
Old 08-23-2014, 07:59 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by porchdog
using one brand through out is a myth . just do not mix brands together. the exception being reducer .
I agree. And for me...many paint manufacturers that I have used TRIED to put the "fear factor' in my head if I crossed out of their line and used any other product. TRUST ME...that is all horse 'feathers'.

The TRICK is when choosing a procedure and products that are going to be used. Most products will be compatible and link up together...IF YOU TEST THEM FIRST. If they fail...then fall back and punt and try something else out...and that can be as simple as how much you are applying at the time....and your choice of reducers/thinners. BUT...the trick is 'repair-ability'. Does you choice of products lend the ability to repair it if it need to be painted??? That is when most people WILL NOT stop and test....usually they are in such a hurry..they just want something shot on the car so they can finish it and drive it...and NEVER though of testing what they were going to paint it in when the car was going through the body repair stage....and then fall victim to scare tactics....BECAUSE and many painters will agree...NOT ONE paint manufacturer is the BEST and ALL their products are the BEST.

DUB
Old 08-24-2014, 12:43 AM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

That's good info guys. Thanks for taking the time to write this up for us rookies.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:46 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

I also use the whole SPI line. From the epoxy to the clear. He even has some colors in basecoat. I painted my 67 GTO with his red. Looks great. The universal clear is all I use. Easy to work with and a nice price.

Get notified of new replies

To spi clear

Quick Reply: spi clear