Paint prep questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 01:03 PM
Beyond Budget
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Paint prep questions

Hey fellas,
I have what would amount to a train wreck of a C4 to bring back to life. I've started working on the body to prep for paint. I've started by blocking with 180 grit which is a slow process, but im not sure how to far to go. I have to go pretty deep in some areas due to bubbling in the paint. I also have some rock chips in the paint that i am not sure how to fix to perfection(im not sure if i should grind them down and fill, or clean and fill with what specific kind of filler?) . I sure could use some advice on the proper techniques and proper type of chemicals as corvettes are fiberglass and more prone to shrinking if not done perfectly. thank you
Old 08-23-2014, 06:58 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Posting decent photo's of what you are looking at help greatly.

Also...if you have 6 paint jobs on this car (for example)...using 180 grit is kinda pointless.

More detailed information is required FROM YOU to give you the best solution to any of you concerns.

Hopefully you are doing this inside a building where it is protected. Being outside ...covered under a sheet of plastic or car cover is also doing more harm than good.

I would stop and wait to get a 'game plan' together. Becasue if you keep going in at it with 180 grit...you may do more harm than good....and possibly create more work for yourself.

DUB

Quick Reply: Paint prep questions