Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Autographed Valve Cover - How to seal/protect?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 12:11 PM
Jmelz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autographed Valve Cover - How to seal/protect?

Hey guys, I went to VIR this weekend, and had the privilege of getting my valve cover autographed by the Corvette Racing drivers as well as the crew chief.

I think it looks great, but I'd like to put a clear coat on the top to protect it. I fully intend to stick it back on my car. I know some folks wouldn't want to do this, but I don't want to hang it on a wall.

Any recommendations on what product and brand of product to use as a clear coat? Anyone done this before?
Old 08-25-2014, 05:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmelz
Hey guys, I went to VIR this weekend, and had the privilege of getting my valve cover autographed by the Corvette Racing drivers as well as the crew chief.

I think it looks great, but I'd like to put a clear coat on the top to protect it. I fully intend to stick it back on my car. I know some folks wouldn't want to do this, but I don't want to hang it on a wall.

Any recommendations on what product and brand of product to use as a clear coat? Anyone done this before?
What is the valve cover made out of???? I assume nothing.

What did they sign it with????

As for clearing it...you more than likely can clear over it...but depending on when composition of the valve cover...the engine heat and time will more than likely peel off...and if the clear actually bit into the ink of the autograph...when the clear will fly off...so will the autograph.

If the valve cover goes back on...enjoy it for the time you have it. Because it will fail. Not meaning to be a 'Debbie Downer' but it IS the REALITY of it. But don't believe me...I have had to do some things for customers that failed ...even when I TOLD them that it would.

DUB
Old 08-25-2014, 06:33 PM
Jmelz
Advanced

The valve cover is my c6 corvette valve cover... plastic I guess.

They signed it with black sharpie.

Last edited by Jmelz; 08-25-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:22 PM
DUB
Race Director

The valve cover is my c6 corvette valve cover... plastic I guess.

They signed it with black sharpie.
It is your choice...obviously BUT...If it means that much to you...I would protect it. Because 'popping your hood' to show it off is a bit.... well you know...kinda looses its value...in my opinion. Kinda reminds me of the time when one of my sister's got engaged and tried so hard to show off her ring without acting like she was not showing it off....It was so OBVIOUS....that I acted like I did not notice...which drove her crazy.

Best of luck in your choice. Nice piece to have also. It would be like if I had one autographed by Zora...it would go in my trophy case. ADN would care less who saw it. I know I got it...is good enough for me....but that is me.

DUB
Old 08-26-2014, 09:33 AM
Jmelz
Advanced

The reason I asked is that I've seen tons of other posts elsewhere on the net about how to do this, but they are usually not specific with what products to use. A lot of people apparently do sharpie art on their valve covers and do this all the time...
Old 08-26-2014, 06:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

The reason I asked is that I've seen tons of other posts elsewhere on the net about how to do this, but they are usually not specific with what products to use. A lot of people apparently do sharpie art on their valve covers and do this all the time...
I am not aware of 'sharpie art' on valve covers. I know that you can shoot 'something' on it to protect the autograph. But I hope you can understand that I service and paint Corvettes for a living. AND I do not want to tell you what to use...and it fails. I know enough about the procedures to CORRECTLY paint plastics for maximum adhesion..because I have to do it from time to time when needed.

BUT..painting a plastic part that is in an engine compartment.that has IMPORTANCE...and having it be 'failure-proof" is totally another thing.

And I know that people paint 'this and that' and will 'swear' that it is ALL GOOD and you should do it...But ...like I know...how long does it last. That part is left out...and if it fails...they can wash it of and do it over again and nothing important has been lost.

I know a plastic cleaner is needed to make sure the plastic is clean....and in many cases these cleaners are not solvent based....because they are often used on urethane which does not like solvent interaction when raw and exposed.

I can not help you out any further. My best bit of advice is to call a paint manufacturer tech line and hopefully they would recommend products and procedures in their line that will give you a lasting result...and MAKE SURE you tell them what it is you are trying to do.

Just remember...that the prep is the most important part.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Autographed Valve Cover - How to seal/protect?

Quick Reply: Autographed Valve Cover - How to seal/protect?