Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Painting my c6

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 09:16 AM
UmX
Safety Car

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Painting my c6

Im hoping we have some pro painters here that can help me out. I am looking to paint my c6 in limetime green or synergy green.

basically everything blue on my car i want to paint..

So front bumper, front fenders, doors, rear quaters, rear bumper, trunk lid, and mirrors. No hood, roof, or halo,

What I need is a estimate of how may quarts of paint I would possibly need.
Thank you

Name:  jqp8RSi.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  597.5 KB
Old 08-28-2014, 06:17 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

That is hard to say. At least for me I would need to see the formula in my paint system and see how highly pigmented it is. Many colors are so highly jacked up with a pearl...that it makes the color weak on coverage....and even if the car is sealed in the correct grey shade of sealer....it could take several coats.

If I have to guess...I think that I would not need any more than 3 quarts (raw)...more than likely I would have A LOT left over....but I also shoot a test panel to see how many coats it takes me to achieve full hiding....then mix up what I think it would take.

Keep this in mind...much like painting YELLOW....it is WISE to shoot the car WHITE first. Becasue YELLOW will cover white really fast. This green you are choosing may do the same thing when you shoot your 'color evaluation card'. A color evaluation card (NEXA) is a black and white checkered paper card that you paint on. So when you shoot this card EXACTLY like you would paint the car....AND NOT POUNDING the paint on it just to get it painted...thus will give you a false conclusion. So when you get this card painted and can not see the black and white checkers...you know you are covered.

So you can shoot one card with white on it..and leave one card alone and see how the color turns out and you may find you can save on the green...even though you will need white.. BUT if shooting a straight white mixing toner converted into basecoat...it should cover fast...depending on whose paint system you are using. You may also want to shoot a card with the sealer you will be using also and see how many coats it takes to get ti to match with the other test cards.

Are you planning on blacking out the inner door jambs????

I guess you are planning on removing the bumper covers...correct???

DUB

Quick Reply: Painting my c6