Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

New Front Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 10:19 PM
Dk Gy Met
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Front Bumper

I bought a new front bumper for my 78. I kind of new to this but I know some fitment issues are to be expected.
But this is a little too much I think. The bottom of the bumper (cover) is up against the metal support in the plate area, and the top still has to go up a half inch or a little more.
I removed everything behind the bumper to make sure it wasn't interfering. It wasn't.
I'm hoping someone can tell me if the problem is with my car or the new bumper.
In the pics you can see it's too high at the bottom (should be down a little to bolt to the valance) and too low at the top.
I measured from the bottom of the plate area to where the top of the bumper should be and it's about 11 1/8.
I measured the inside of the bumper to the top and it's about 10 3/4.
Does anybody have a new bumper to measure for me?
All I really want to know is;
1. Is the bumper cover incorrect - send it back
or
2. that's normal stuff - deal with it
or
3. ???

Thanks for any help.
Attached Images      
Old 09-10-2014, 05:53 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

It might be a bad bumper cover.

You did not specify if it is a rigid fiberglass bumper or one of flex-glass type. Either way...the way they are making them now-a-days is so thin that you should have some flex in it to get it to fit.

I generally have to fight with the ones I get...and I have just dealt with it over the years.

AND...for what it is worth....from an owner of a shop's view point. I would put back on ALL what you took off due to it is all integral parts of your front impact structure that was tested. I know it is your car...but if you have a passenger in the car... and get into an accident...and 'they' get hurt and it is found out that you removed safety structure....their attorney will have a basically no problem showing negligence on your part.

I do NOT remove any impact structure when installing a fiberglass bumper cover. I will re-adjust it as needed....but not ONE part is removed. I will carefully shave on the black plastic absorber.....and also the heavy center section where your license plate mounts. It is a PAIN at times....YES....but much less pain than me standing in front of a Judge waiting on his verdict.

Also....after I get all of the retainers in place and the bumper secured and NOT tightening all the nuts to the point where I chip my teeth when tightening them. How tight you get the nuts can change how the bumper fits and can create warps in the top area due to the flange on the bumper is NOT at the same angle as the flange on the front end of the car. Then...I put it out in the sun and the bumper will 'move' so to speak and take shape...so when you go and remove it...you may find that it is not under the same amount of tension...and that is depending on how long you let it get hot when installed initially.

DUB
Old 09-10-2014, 11:26 PM
Dk Gy Met
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you DUB.
It's a solid fiberglass. When I pull up to try to get to where the bolt holes would line up - I never got it that far, it seems to be too much stress.
The supplier agreed to take it back, so I guess that's what I'm going to do.
It'll kind of suck if I return this one and get one from another manufacturer and it fits the same way!!

Yes, I will eventually put the reinforcements back in. At this point, I'll probably leave them off to make sure the new bumper cover fits - then put it back on and widdle as needed.

PS - I've been on this forum for over a year now, I don't post much but I read a lot - and I always like your posts. You have high standards for quality and safety, and are as descriptive as need be to get your point across to us rookies!!
Old 09-11-2014, 06:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I am just trying to put a different perspective on some repairs.

Obviously...I am not there to feel the amount of stress your cover is under. If the part is removed from the mold to quickly...it can warp and collapse when curing out further.

Hopefully the next one 'is the charm'.

For what it is worth...I check the top mounting flange and then along the sides going down each fender. When I get the retainer installed in the bumper securely...I install it and then check and see how the bottom does.....AND....that big heavy part behind your front license plate....ACTUALLY aids in spreading the bumper. I am more concerned on how well the bumper fits the curve int the front fenders. The center of the bottom usually will be fine.....and if that part is not in....you can fight it...so do not be surprised.

BE PATIENT...and if you get frustrated...comment on this post or PM me and I will do all I can to help.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To New Front Bumper

Quick Reply: New Front Bumper