Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Hood gap restoration

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 02:09 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Default Hood gap restoration

In my continued quest for perfection, I have done a search for glassing the edges of doors or hoods and have not found what I wanted. I have had to re-strip my hood(yes,one step forward and 10 back) but I want it right. Anyway, the hood gap could be improved in a few areas(less than 1/4" and will require adding some glass and mat. How far should I bevel back on the hood for this repair? Thanks all.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:24 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

i would work the jambs not the hood.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:37 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Like PD said, if you can add to the jam/fender instead, that's preferred as there is more surface area there.

If you have to add to the hood you need at least an inch of bevel.

It gets tricky if you need to add on the sides as the bulge from the fenders goes into the sides of the hood and you have to recreate that line/curve.

Last edited by zwede; 09-13-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:40 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I myself would add to the hood....and have done this on many hoods without any problems...and I also will do a little bit of adding on the hood surround area.....it all depends on the gap...and if the side of the hood surround are actually at an angle where adding to this edge is do-able without building out on the bottom of that edge....thus maintaining the width of the flange.

For me...adding to the hood is faster and easier than adding to the side of the top hood surround. And if the gap is needing to be closed in a lot....if you add it all to the top hood surround edge on the sides....it takes away in how the flange looks.

It is a 'balancing act'...even if I have to do BOTH sides instead of just one side...because I adjusted to hood more centered and requires me to do both sides....and IF I can get away by adding my VPA to the hood surround sides to close the gap...I will. SO it all depends. For me...the car will tell me what it needs....due to how the panels fit.

Just my perspective on it.

Depending on how far you need to build out....use fiberglass resin and mat are not always required.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Hood gap restoration

Quick Reply: Hood gap restoration