Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Paint prep question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 09:10 PM
indallas1978
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Paint prep question

I apologize for my lack of knowledge and if this has already been covered that I missed it. I'm been working on getting my 87 ready for paint (no major damage or repairs) just small dings and rock chips but my question is it ok to rattle-can flat black as I go around the entire body after each section of bodywork is completed and before I lay down the epoxy primer? Not sure if that would totally screw things up or not so I figured it is better to ask b4 instead of after I made a complete disaster 🙈 Thank you in advance as any tips/advice is much appreciated! 👍👍
Old 09-17-2014, 12:23 AM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

The rattle can idea is not good. We need more info as to what you are trying to accomplish. If you are interested in a complete repaint and are interested in a good job, you will likely need to consider stripping the current paint off to the glass, depending on the current condition of the paint. If this car has been repainted already, you will likely be stripping it. You are going to want to apply the epoxy primer over the SMC for adhesion and depending on what your materials you are planning to use, may be using the epoxy primer as a build coat. Porchdog and DUB are great sources of information.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:46 AM
indallas1978
Instructor

Thank you for the response! I'll try to make this long story short. I bought this 87 when I was a teenager, traded it in and years later found it for sale and bought it back. The time between my ownership the car was neglected bad and had been lightly bumped on the front. Someone did a shoddy job and reprinted the hood and front bumper cover only. It looked ok even up close but bugged the heck out of me knowing it wasn't done right so I decided to redo the paint/body on entire car. Yes it is a complete repaint & I've already stripped the old paint off (that was fun) now I'm going around and fixing minor issues such as chips & such. I'm gathering to now do the repairs and when finished shoot the epoxy primer directly over that then block it out and finish up fine tuning? I'm not planning on shooting the paint myself, just trying to get the prep out of the way. I have already removed all trim/emblems already & am going to remove bumper covers/mirrors/lights ect. Like I said I appreciate all tips/info greatly, just wish I knew more as I do not want to screw it up too bad. I'm also reading all I can here on the forum as there are many super helpful and knowledgable members here. Thank you again! 👍👍
Old 09-17-2014, 05:38 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I have to agree with Dave Tracy.

Using a 'rattle can' to paint on sanded SMC/urethane is something that I would NOT do.

There are some specifically made aerosol products in the industry that can be used...but I RARELY use them. Mainly because they are not able to be catalyzed. AND I am not saying that all industry made aerosol products are worthless...because I am NOT... Some are perfect for the purpose they are made for.

All I can say is do not get to far ahead of yourself......meaning if you get the hood all done and need it to be primed with epoxy...then stop and prime it and get it done...then move on. I do not know where you a e doing this...which makes this a FACTOR. Outside under a carport...I would not advise. Inside a good garage is much better. The main thing is NOT to allow your sanded bare SMC to stay exposed for a really long period of time...which as like I wrote...depends on the environment the car is in.

DUB
Old 09-18-2014, 08:05 PM
indallas1978
Instructor

Thank you for the response as well Dub, everything you said makes perfect sense and when I think about it should be common sense as well. The car is in a "clean" garage setting but nowhere even close to how clean it should be for this type of work. After good advise & lots of reading I think I'm going to tinker a bit here with it then move it to a proper setting before getting too far into it or ahead of myself as you mentioned. I'm glad I asked and am very appreciative for the responses so thank you 👍👍 I'll try to keep the progress posed as I move forward. Thank you again! Dennis
Old 09-19-2014, 06:05 PM
DUB
Race Director

Dennis,

You are one of the 'lucky ones' who asked questions and actually stops and THINKS things through.

If you have any further questions...DO NOT hesitate to ask...and PLEASE keep all of us updated on your process.

Some areas of the car are not as easy as you may find or think....and ASSUMPTION is the MOTHER of ALL F-up's. So if you HAVE A DOUBT...STOP and ask.

I (personally) would much rather you ask questions constantly...versus...Ask for help in repairing something that was done wrong and failed badly...when it could have been avoided.

DUB
Old 09-24-2014, 08:25 PM
indallas1978
Instructor

Dub, will do sir and it is so very much appreciated that you are taking YOUR time and expertise to answer and offer to answer mine among others questions. Now I know we all share a common interest in corvettes here in the forum but you and others in here honestly reassure me that there are still good, honest, stand up people out there still willing to help others without any expectations in return so once again I say thank you! 👍👍
Old 09-25-2014, 06:52 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by indallas1978
Dub, will do sir and it is so very much appreciated that you are taking YOUR time and expertise to answer and offer to answer mine among others questions. Now I know we all share a common interest in corvettes here in the forum but you and others in here honestly reassure me that there are still good, honest, stand up people out there still willing to help others without any expectations in return so once again I say thank you! ����
My pleasure!

AND...might I add....that if the Corvette Forum did not have members that ask for HELP and ADVICE ...instead of thinking that they 'know it all' is what makes me do this for people.

My advice and suggestions are FREE..so if a person chooses to employ them...that is there choice.

But I also HOPE that those people who choose to 're-invent the wheel' and do it another way (which is fine by me...it is their car)...and GOSH KNOWS...I am not a God....BUT...I hope they understand that I do this for a living and have FAILED numerous times...and I am just trying to save them the same grief. Like the Boy Scouts motto and slogan state..." Be prepared" and "Do a good turn daily!".

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Paint prep question

Quick Reply: Paint prep question