Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Door fit problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 09:00 PM
chrislyn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Door fit problem

1966 Vert. Doing a body off resto .I have the frame under the body,the frame is resting on my body cart. All the frame shimming and gaps are set . The door panels to the fender and to the quarter are fitting flush to each other and the gaps set. I now have preassembled the vent assy as well as the door weatherstrip. Now I have a small problem with the door fit. The door is protruding out from the fender and the door is hard to close . I know that the gaskets need to set but for how long. The gaskets have set now for 24hours and doesn't feel any better. Any suggestions. Was this anything that was encountered at the factory .Thanks in advance, Wes
Old 09-22-2014, 09:51 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't know if this is applicable to you or not but I put a new trunk weatherstripping in my wifes 79 Camaro and the trunk couldn't even be forced pushed shut. I found out that I need a "hollow" weatherstripping. I changed it and it was fine. What supplier did you get your weatherstripping from? I assume you had the door off when you put the new weatherstripping on - because I don't think you could fit it otherwise.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:23 PM
chrislyn
Pro

Originally Posted by TWINRAY
I don't know if this is applicable to you or not but I put a new trunk weatherstripping in my wifes 79 Camaro and the trunk couldn't even be forced pushed shut. I found out that I need a "hollow" weatherstripping. I changed it and it was fine. What supplier did you get your weatherstripping from? I assume you had the door off when you put the new weatherstripping on - because I don't think you could fit it otherwise.
The gaskets that I used were original GM weatherstrips. The rubber was soft and pliable for older rubber.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:42 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

In reading you post...DID I READ IT CORRECTLY...and your car is on a dolly and NOT resting on the suspension????

IF your car does not have wheels and tires on it and the car is on flat ground....I am concerned.

Also...if you adjusted your door and it worked perfectly OUTWITH weatherstrips in it...it is more than likely the weatherstrips....and the fact that the doors may be closer to the A pillar...thus causing the weatherstrips to be compressed...thus making it hard to close and not act or look correct.

I run into this and this is one reason why I use the latex weatherstrips offered...after a little modification. but that is just me.

DUB
Old 09-22-2014, 10:00 PM
chrislyn
Pro

Originally Posted by DUB
In reading you post...DID I READ IT CORRECTLY...and your car is on a dolly and NOT resting on the suspension????

IF your car does not have wheels and tires on it and the car is on flat ground....I am concerned.

Also...if you adjusted your door and it worked perfectly OUTWITH weatherstrips in it...it is more than likely the weatherstrips....and the fact that the doors may be closer to the A pillar...thus causing the weatherstrips to be compressed...thus making it hard to close and not act or look correct.

I run into this and this is one reason why I use the latex weatherstrips offered...after a little modification. but that is just me.

DUB
Dub ,you read correctly. The frame is secured to my dolly and level, the body fits to the frame with the exact shims as when I dismantled the car. This is not an issue. Everything including the radiator support is bolted and aligned.. What manufacturer of weatherstrips are you using. Thanks,Wes
Old 09-23-2014, 06:18 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by chrislyn
Dub ,you read correctly. The frame is secured to my dolly and level, the body fits to the frame with the exact shims as when I dismantled the car. This is not an issue. Everything including the radiator support is bolted and aligned.. What manufacturer of weatherstrips are you using. Thanks,Wes
I can tell you this...DO NOT be surprised when you set it on the ground you have issues of panels that change. I wish you the best in regards to all you hard work staying put.

Latex from LONE STAR CALIPER. Pillars, Door mains.

Hood weatherstrip...it does not matter.

T-Tops from Corvette Rubber...and they are actually a bit to softer and DO NOT have a good 'spine' where the pins that push into the T-tops go into the panels. The weatherstripping can tear when it is being installed due to this 'spine' not being dense enough. SO...CARE MUST be taken when installing these T-top weatherstrips. Seating the pins too much can actually allow them to cut the weatherstrip and then the weatherstrip comes off of them...SO BE AWARE!!!!

ALSO...you have to be careful and MAKE SURE that the correct push-pins are in these weatherstrips. The last few I got were wrong.....They had C4 pins in them which will NOT work by ANY stretch of the imagination. The diameter of the pin is too large...and also the sharp pin point on the end of the push in pin is WRONG also.

LONE STAR is working on their t-top weatherstrips and when I get a 'tester' set again....I can comment on that at that time. The weatherstrips is great...but the 'spine' is too thick and dense and fights when going in and getting set. The 'spine' dimension is quite precise to work perfectly.

SO one is "too soft"...and the other is too dense.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 09-23-2014 at 06:24 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Door fit problem

Quick Reply: Door fit problem